August 24, 2019, 07:49:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rubber Coated Olympic Weight Discs V Old School Non Coated  (Read 3672 times)
Damo NY

www.damianleestailoredfitness.co.uk

WWW Email
« on: March 17, 2011, 04:25:10 PM »

Hi All,

Since I trained at Paul George's gym last Sunday it made me think of how much I miss training with the old school Olympic style weights. Hearing the clatter of the plates tapping each other on each rep whilst Benching or Squatting!

It seems most gyms nowadays are all kitted with the rubber coated Olympic plates, including the gym I train at.  Can't complain though as I only pay 100 per year membership!

What do you guys and girls prefer?
Bungle

If it doesnt scare you it isnt heavy enough!

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 06:23:38 PM »

Personally i love the noise of the metal plates wobbling on the bar when squatting, but in terms of training at home you cant beat the rubber plates.
Monbeef

Author of The Tower Grave - available on Amazon!

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 07:00:56 PM »

For home or business damage control and colour coding - rubber.

For noise, nostalgia and most importantly ease in sliding on and off when in contact with the floor - ivanko or gym80 metal plates.

For dinner - china.

For parties - paper.
Broseph

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 07:34:13 PM »

Coming from an Olympic Lifting background, metal weights mean nothing but trouble!

Ever tried dropping a 150kg clean and jerk using metal weights from above your head? I suggest you don't!  Grin

I hate the noise the metal ones make, I like my weights rubbery!
Monbeef

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 08:06:59 PM »

Broseph,
I didnt know you were from an oly background.

Something i've been wondering...
The point of the bulgarian volume training etc was that they could lift with such frequency as they didnt do any negative reps and eccentric contractions. So by oly lifting and dropping it they didn't smash up their muscles.

A gym near me has just got a wooden olympic lifting platform and rubber plates.
Does that mean technically i could drop it from above my head? Or would i be kicked out?!

I love olympic lifting but i'm not great at the mo. I can snatch 80kg, power clean 102.5kg and push preps or split jerk 120kg.
I cant clean properly deep as my wrists and arms aren't flexible enough for a palms up front squat with my elbows high enough. Any tips?

Cheers.
Broseph

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 08:28:28 PM »

I'm not massively clued up on the Bulgarian methods but my coach always told me that the Bulgarians treated lifting like a full time job: get up in the morning, lift weights.  Eat, have a snooze then lift more weights.  Have lunch, more nap time, then more weights.  If they were lucky, they'd even get some light weights before bed!

The idea was to ultimately condition the body and force it to adapt so that lifting massive weight was the body's primary goal.  Genetics, insane training and the obvious 'extras' produced some of the best weightlifters the world has ever seen.

In my opinion, if there's a lifting platform and rubber weights then by all means, drop the weights, that's the point of a platform - whether or not the gym owner will see it that way is a different matter!  The lifting platforms are more than likely just for show - the Team GB gym at Lillishall has 3m of solid concrete below each platform... I don't think many gyms would have anything like that.

Oly lifting is ALL about technique, unfortunately, doing BB'ing training tends to stiffen up the shoulders making Oly lifting pretty tough.  I can't clean a weight properly any more, if I do, my elbows end up below my chest when ideally they should be at 90 degrees to the body.

I'm not bothered though, training for Oly lifts can be very dull and repetitive as the exercises are very limited - I don't miss it at all!

You're jerk is solid, I'm sure with some technique you could up your snatch to the 100kg mark, the beginnings a nice total!
Monbeef

Email
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 10:30:36 PM »

Ok mate cheers. I think its safest if i dont drop it! Lol.

As its only an extra and not my full system, i love oly lifts. Plus i find it beneficial for my other sports - judo and i've just found out i'm gonna do shot put for the met in july so it helps for them too.

Thats the problem. If my elbows get even 45 degrees up with my palms bent back it stretches too much. But like you say, under 90 degrees, at full depth it makes the weight come forward from the neck and strains the back.

I've got no problem with the pull, thrust, drop and catch. But its that position. So as i can only power clean i'm limited at the mo to a mediocre weight.

Off a squat rack, step back and jerk i did 115kg about a year ago, and push pressed 120kg easy enough under the same conditions about 2 months ago - i could go in excess of that. And my jerk is stronger than my push press so i'm not sure what my max is.

Any tips on improving my shoulder and wrist flexibility?
I'm getting there on the legs and can reach full depth in the snatch, just not that front squat.

Snatch wise its confidence. I think my technique is along the right lines - i'll have to post a vid for your assessment - but its confidence. Above 80 i subconsciously panic and end up front raising it! I fully front raised 70kg once accidentally so i think with confidence i can exceed 80kg.

Whats a good beginners total for an under 100kg lifter?
If i could bring my clean up to match my press if i learnt technique making it 120 and got my snatch to 100 with added confidence - 220kg?
Broseph

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 11:17:53 PM »

For a beginner, anything 200kg+ is a very good total!

I agree that the snatch is all about confidence, you need to give it 100% commitment - just go for it, what's the worst that can happen!!

I did a ONE HANDED snatch contest a while ago, not that takes some balls!  Grin Got a solid 70kg one but refused to go above that, far too risky!

To improve the flexibility on the wrist you just need to practice - unrack the bar, hold it on your shoulders and try to force your elbows up - it'll take time but it will improve - expect some aches though!
Monbeef

Email
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 11:39:19 PM »

Ok mate brilliant cheers!

I'll start working on the flexibility in the cleans - both by slowly getting the position as you said and i'll try front squatting from there once my wrists get better!

Worst that can happen? I drop the weights narrowly avoiding death but somehow crushing my testicles - then being dragged outside by an irate gym owner and his beats and being beaten up - then them finding my warrant card so stamping on my head - then as a fit paramedic and my wife come to my aid i have an overt erection - then getting bitten by jack russell!

Oh sod it. It'll be worth it!

No you're right. If i drop it i drop it. Its only 80-90kg anyway and i can handle it. I'll give it a go.

Cheers mate!
K_Dogs

DOMS makes you feel alive....

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 10:28:15 AM »

It's ok, it's zero sugar!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements