April 24, 2019, 09:34:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Jason Barnett, INBF World Champion  (Read 21008 times)
Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« on: March 27, 2011, 08:18:05 PM »

Welcoming Jason Barnett, 2008 INBF World Bantamweight Champion.

Here to answer all your questions at Natural Muscle.  Cool
SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR 5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 09:17:26 AM »

Jason you are a true ambassador for the sport and It was a real pleasure talking to you last year. Not a question just a thankyou.
MJP
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 07:01:18 PM »

Jason, I know you do a lot of work with schoolchildren, so I wondered how you put across your bodybuilding lifestyle in a way that could benefit the kids - i.e. the discipline, and how have you seen what you stand for benefit others, particularly ones who may have learning issues, or behavourable problems?
Jason Barnett

CoachJasonBarnett-Youtube

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 07:25:53 PM »

Thanks Scott, I appreciate that. It is good to be on here. I Spoke to Jon a while ago and decided that this would be the ideal place to spend some of my time, not only helping you guy's out but also to give my new sponsors a direct connection to our side of the sport and some encouragement for them to put more of their finances into Natural Bodybuilding rather than elsewhere.By witnessing firsthand the pasion and commitment of Natural athletes both here and abroad. This has already resulted in them agreeing to sponsor the forum and Lee Kemps UKDFBA show. As well as looking into supporting both NPA and BNBF events throughout the year, which is a great start.

I've been training since the age of 11 for almost 28 years and competing since the age of 17 for 21 years and so hopefully have lots of tales to tell which can inspire and possibly paint a more colourful picture of our sport, than the one that is traditionally portrayed. So rather than the traditional how much protein and carb questions. I'm looking forward to this being more of a platform to share some of things we all experience apart from the scientific, technical side of the sport, and answer some of the queries about things that explore the emotional and psychological side of what we do.
I'm often accused of over analysing and over thinking every situation so here's your opportunity to get inside my head and pull out we can. Not everything I write will necessarily be facts but just my thoughts. These often tumble out of my head both verbally and in print , only for me to wish later they could go back in but hey, makes for interesting reads I hope.
I'm usually flat out with Supernatural Fitness and youth work through the week so my aim will be to answer questions definitely on a Friday or Saturday evening, although hopefully I'll have the opportunity to use that as my base and come on even more frequently to answer any questions as soon as possible. So here goes, Your time starts, NOW!
thebull

"What we do in life, echos in eternity"

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 07:37:17 PM »

Jason hello and great to have u in the firing line.

Firstly a training question: back- your back shots are always lights out, what core workouts/exercises have u used to build it?

Another one for your mind: you compete year in, year out- what motivates you and what are your future goals?
Jason Barnett

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 08:20:42 PM »

Ok Michael first, as your question came while I was writing my intro.
My main aim through my work is to motivate young people to fulfil there potential through whatever gift they've been blessed with. I try to inspire them with my physique and achievements and then explain what it takes to be a champion and then relate that to every area of life. The response is that every child can recognise something thats different about them that makes them stand out. Those in general with behaviour issues and learning difficulties, whom don't always fit the social norm tend to then be able to see their differences in a different light and the feedback from staff is that these children in particular begin to thrive and turn their lives around, using there formerly perceived weaknesses as strengths. After the shows many of them are able to articulate there dreams and visions for their lives for the very first time and my belief is firmly that, for these dreams to come to fruition, the kids have got to at least be able to picture them in their minds first.
Jason Barnett

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 08:37:55 PM »

Thanks for the compliment Pete, I'll have to come on here more often for the ego boost. I can show this to my girl when she forgets who da man is Cool. Saying that, unless your prepared to don a long blonde wig and a bikini in ya profile pic, I don't think it's gonna have the effect I would be hoping for Roll Eyes.
Anyway gonna give you the answer to your question in instalments as its cardio time.
My Back workout consists of mainly weighted chins with a set of close grip chins at the end to hit the lower lats a little and maintain or even build the thickness there. I do T - bar row and machine row but even those I do with as wide a grip as possible with a complete focus on building width to my back with a mental focus on that. I'm happy then that any back thickness will come more as a side effect of aiming to be wider. This way I prioritise my natural lack of width over my natural thickness throughout my physique.
Tune in tomorrow for part 2 bro. See ya.
MJP
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 06:27:27 PM »

What drives you on JB? To compete for so long...and what was your best moment on-stage, and what was the biggest disappointment you've had?  Cool Also I remember when you used to compete quite a bit heavier, and smoother (sorry mate!), what led you compete in that winning condition you now display, as opposed to your heavier days?
Jason Barnett

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 06:37:57 PM »

Sorry for the delay Pete. Since I began training I've always adapted my motivations to keep the fire burning so to speak. I mean if impressing the fittest girl in my class was still my main motivation, then it would be slightly worrying. I'd say now I'm at the point where I really enjoy my job and the responsibility that brings. Going into the schools as a kind of real life superhero has a profound effect on children and their choices. They are blown away by some of the titles of British and World Champ and so my main aim of competing each year is to be able to portray myself as someone who is one of the very best at what he does and to keep that up to date and relevant.

An outsiders view of the sport is very different to our view within the sport. I base my goals and am motivated as to what I aim to competitively and by what will have the greatest effect in my role publicly. What I do understand is that a kid having the World Champ coming into his school to tell him to live a good life is even more powerful than if I placed say 10th in the Olympia. Whether its INBF or the IFBB 99% of the General public especially children have no idea what the difference is. They only know that World champion means the very best on the planet and thats, that.

Next year my motivation will be fuelled once again by knowing that every last rep and every quality meal I eat, could make the difference in changing another life. Thats all you need.
Jason Barnett

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 06:55:59 PM »

You did it again Michael I'm gonna have to rename you Paul McKenna Cool. Your question came in the middle of me typing the last answer to Pete. I'll break the questions down again so this doesn't turn into an essay.
To reiterate. The answer to the first question was basically seeing the results of the effect that my success on stage has on peoples lives. I believe God gives everyone a gift and the ability to let it go to waste or to use it to it's full potential. By making the right choice you are able to live life to the fullest by ultimately doing what you were born to do and giving it your all till you no longer are able to fulfill the purpose in which your gift was given to you for. Basically I believe you live life in the perfect fit rather than trying to embrace a purpose and a life that was never meant for you, which you can never fully enjoy.
Besides I'm an all or nothing type of person. I think without continually striving to be number 1 and competing, I'd be in danger of training at a level where there may not be any satisfaction or progression bot physically and mentally at all.
As long as I can continue to keep a balance and perspective on all areas of my life, for now this is the most productive and beneficial path I could choose to follow, not only for me but for those I love and am responsible for in my world.
SCOTTGALTON

Email
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 08:31:50 AM »

Great answers so far jason

Just a few of the more mainstream ones from me

How do you transition from "off season" to contest prep. Do you just add in cardio or change the food sources?

How would you descrive your training style? more volume? or more a high intensity approach?
Jason Barnett

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 09:11:48 PM »

Ok Back to Michael, The question of what was my best moment on stage is a difficult one. In terms of achievement being announced as World champion in New York will certainly go down as a defining moment in my life and Bodybuilding career and certainly marked the end of a journey when I believed that everythig I had ever sacrificed was related to a certain destiny I had rther than just a fantasy. Of course the doors that that has opened have also been significant in terms of achieving many things I now want to go onto achieve in my life. If though you're talking about the best moment in relation to actual feeling it has to be my first competition in 1989. When I was coaxed into entering my local Gym open competition and won the U21's then went on to win the Open men's before placing 2nd in the Champion of Champions class. I was the smallest in the contest and having no clue what the competitions were really about other than having big muscles, I assumed I had no chance of beating guy's twice the size of me. My misconceptions of what criteria a winning physique would be judged on meant that the feeling of achievement, with each class win announcement was euphoric to say the least and moments I clearly remember to this very day.
Funnily enough my worst feeling was in the same contest the very next year when I was cajoled into entering unprepared the very next year on the morning of the contest itself. I was 3rd in the Juniors to 2 guys I had beaten previously. Yet the worst thing about the whole experience was being onstage knowing that you were not at your best. Its the worst feeling in the world knowing that onstage only your physique can tell the story and sometimes it portrays a complete horror trilogy that is way off the mark. That feeling of wanting to explain to everyone in the room the circumstances behind your poor showing and how you just happen to be on stage doing the gym owner a favour, yet having to just suck it up and ride the derision is something I vowed never to have to do to that extent again.
Jason Barnett

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 09:21:42 PM »

As to why I compete in better condition now. Its just a simple case of what I perceive to be a champion winning physique in terms of condition now is something I will always strive to achieve and more.
The first few times of competing heavy were just down to feeling that I could achieve a certain look by being as heavy as possible and it's only when you experience this not to be true, through feedback from Judges, photos and results that you can psychologically get past the weight issue and go on to truly achieve a winning condition consistently. Besides that I love the look of hard striated muscle I love to see new lines appear that I've never seen before and really enjoy watch ing the changes and movement in certain muscles and bodyparts once I reach a certain level. It's like a show in itself just doing everyday tasks and watching the muscles and lines contract, relax and practically dance.
Jason Barnett

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 09:36:57 PM »

Sorry scott Gotta rush but I know you've been waiting a while so I'll answer all your questions clinically then elaborate CSI style another day.

My transition from off season to contest prep is seamless with very little changes and my mindset still kept focused on Bodybuilding and getting stronger. I basically calculate and eat exactly what I need and then allow for an small addition of quality nutrition on top each day. I've never been a food person and so am quite mechanical about putting fuel in my body. I aim to gain bodyfat in small amounts over the off season by basically eating more clean food than what I need, meaning no treats, therefore I always have a surplus of quality macro nutrients for repair and growth. I'll then add cardio once it's time to start hardening up and basically get harder yet still stronger over a very long period.

My training style is definitely High Intensity, Low volume and Low frequency. Very, very Basic with prioritisation of weaker bodyparts running throughout the whole structure of my training programme and variations on certain exercises that differ from the norm with the aim also to achieve a more balanced physique.
SCOTTGALTON

Email
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 12:38:58 PM »

Thanks Jason, the reply is much appreciated
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements