February 20, 2019, 05:12:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Jason Barnett, INBF World Champion  (Read 20632 times)
Jason Barnett

CoachJasonBarnett-Youtube

WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 09:07:33 PM »

Apologies to you all especially Scott I've amended my last post as unfortunately with rushing it didn't read too well and make much sense at all but should read better now.
To elaborate a little on my training style at the moment is more or less exclusively heavy duty and has been for the the last year or two and will continue to be so for the next 18 months at least. My emphasis is on getting stronger with good form almost every time I train. Improving strength each workout is particularly challenging after 27yrs of training and so particular focus has to be placed on all aspects of recovery and improved nutrition. It means often training each bodypart upto 9 to 10 days apart. Using massage, power naps, relaxation techniques and basically training hard but playing the recovery game even harder.
Basically if I'm not getting stronger and I know if there's the slightest thing I could have done better in the lead up to that workout or immediately after the last one, then I know I'm not using my body's growth and recuperation capabilities to there full potential. Once I perfect everything and I no longer improve in some aspect of my performance only then can I say I've fulfilled my potential and look at the next chapter of my training career, whether that can ever truly be the case only time will tell.
Jason Barnett

WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 09:12:52 PM »

BTW. I'm writing from my base in Wuppertal Germany at the moment. I'm Out in Essen, Germany for 4 days, for FIBO, the Worlds biggest Bodybuilding, and fitness expo. The event's hosting some of the biggest names in Bodybuilding, MMA, Powerlifting, Strongman, Arm wrestling and many more sports. I'll be there representing Ultralife and will try and keep you all upto date on my facebook page. I thought Bodypower was big but this is madness. I've got lost 3 times today already and yesterday and today were supposed to be the quiet days, so bring on the weekend. Anyway here's the link to my facebook page and hope to have some of the pics off my boss's camera to post tomorrow night on there.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jason-Barnett/109071033908
MJP
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 07:35:45 PM »

Jason, how did you get sponsored by Ultralife, and how exactly did things come to an end with EAS? Do you still have the Barnett-mobile covered in the EAS logo?  Cool I know you are one Champion who has been sponsored for a few years but it would be great to hear what you do for your sponsors, and not just what they do for you, because as you know its all about being mutually supportive of each other. I believe if other Champions were as well spoken as you then they might well get sponsored! Be good to hear some advice and tips from Bradford's Best on this aspect of the sport.  Cool
Jason Barnett

WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 05:59:45 PM »

My schedules getting busier and busier so sorry for the long delay Michael. As you know, I was with EAS for 6 yrs in total. After approaching them in 2004 and following a very productive meeting with the then managing director Peter Valentine, I signed a contract for the next two years. We came to an agreement based mainly on what I was doing in promoting health through Supernatural fitness and what Iíd be doing in the future. So it was on almost a trial basis with the promise of bigger and better things if I was able to deliver what I promised. Over the next few years things worked very well and the partnership was obviously a positive one for both parties as it continued for another 4 yrs of extended contracts. It was only when EAS were taken over by Abbott laboratories a pharmaceutical company based in the U.S, that many decisions were no longer allowed to be made independently by the UK office. This made it impossible to work on a local level and very difficult for me to then promote EAS effectively through what I did and in return really offer any benefits in order to take things to a higher level. I began to look at the possibilities of looking to represent another company with a similar vision to promote health and fitness and not just Bodybuilding. This decision was mainly taken with a view to partnering with a company that would compliment my vision of helping the public especially young people become fitter and healthier. I approached Ultralife at the Open Yorkshire classic in 2010 in which I won the U70kg class and although the team were all very new to the sport they had seen me at various events and had heard about me throughout their first year in promoting their Performance range in Bodybuilding. We arranged a meeting were we were able to outline a base for a years contract, which gives us both the chance to get to know each other, show each other what we can offer as independent companies and individuals and decide where to go from there. Part of my new contract has meant simply that the EAS logos on the vehicle have been replaced with the Ultralife lineage and so yes I still have the Batmobile which is now the Ultralife mobile. Cool
Jason Barnett

WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 07:00:19 PM »

Mini Guide to getting a sponsorship deal

In terms of approaching a sponsor in the first place. I would always try and write a professional proposal outlining exactly what benefits you hope to and could bring to a company and then what you would like to receive in return.
Obviously a title or two is one of the main requisites these days to being a sponsored athlete but is not the be all and end all and so certainly can not be the only asset that you offer in any proposal of sponsorship.

In terms of the best advice in terms of getting a sponsors attention. I would say the number one priority has to be to show those interested in you, that you will be able to make them a return on their investment. You have to remember that when you are dealing with supplement companies, even though the majority of the time you may be dealing with people inside the industry you are also dealing with Businessmen and not just fellow Bodybuilding fans. They run companies to make money and to earn a living for themselves and their families. No one is investing in you because of a sole interest in your personal goals or agenda. Understandably they are interested in your success because ultimately that can help a companies image and in turn help boost profits but The bottom line is. Will what they sow into the soil of your career, provide a good enough harvest for them and everyone else involved.
Who could argue with paying you a thousand pounds a week if on paper they are guaranteed 2 thousand pounds back or on a more recognisable scale who would have any problems providing you with a free tub of protein if it means they are guaranteed to cover the costs of that and more by selling 2 or 3.

As an athlete and individual you have to place a value on every aspect of what you are able to offer a sponsor, whether that be through exposure, introductions to business, sporting associates and opportunities or direct sales. Do your research and know the value of what each of your individual activities or actions represents to the sponsor. Once you and your sponsor both understand your value its easy to offer your services at a deal that is too good for any company in their right mind to refuse. Providing they then have the resources you shouldnít have any issues getting the support you desire.
Iíll often offer my services on as short a contract as possible, having confidence in my own ability to deliver, in order to get it extended at a later date. Offering your services on a short term contract lowers the risk for the sponsor even further, giving you a better chance of receiving a contract, while giving you the incentive to prove your value to be in an even stronger position to negotiate a better deal when renewal comes up.

So just to summarize, basically approach any potential sponsor and market yourself in as professional a manner as possible as a no lose option. Make it very clear what benefits you will bring to the company throughout the term of any given contract mking it an impossible decision to not offer you the support you need Cool.
MJP
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2011, 08:28:48 AM »

There you have it...If anyone reading this wishes to learn how best to approach a supplement company (for example) for sponsorship then PLEASE READ the last post by Jason, as his advice is spot on! Its not just about what a sponsor can do for you...! Great reply, Jason.  Cool
Bsimons

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 02:11:10 PM »

Hi Jason

As we were discussing the other day, please can you explain your preferred method of carb loading and water manipulation in the week before a show?

What does your carb intake look like leading up to the show, and on the day of competition.

What are your preffered foods to eat on the morning of competition and after prejudging?

Also what training do you do in the final week of prep?

Jason Barnett

WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2011, 02:48:46 PM »

Hi Billy, this reply is mainly info for others, as I know we got to speak on the phone before your show and that I was able to answer your questions. Congratulations on your win by the way. I'm glad everything worked out the way you hoped and that you were able to achieve the look you were after.

My method of contest prep has changed significantly over the years and I now use a method which I feel is lot more simple and relies more on a common sense approach to preparing to step onstage.

I don't really drop carbs as such its more just an increase in activity through cardio, which I use to come down if Iím honest. I Have always aimed to come down as slowly as possible as I aim to keep my diet consistent and healthy. I've had issues with stomach ulcers for the last few years and as a result I donít use any fat burners at all and for the most part not even coffee  and so now I aim each year to diet slowly and strategically to my final target keeping my carbohydrates fairly high right the way through till contest day.

In the off season I have higher carb days of 450 grams on training days and lower days of 250 to 300 grams on non training days. I usually rely on wholegrain rice wholewheat pasta, potatoes , sweet potatoes and even wholewheat bread. I continue with this right upto the final few weeks where I rely more on rice sweet potatoes and normal potatoes.

In terms of training I will have finished any heavy weights the preceding week and on the Monday of the final week I will begin almost a mini carb deplete by doing 3 of my lower carb days of around 250 grams of carbs and will include cardio sessions and lots of intense posing which tends to flatten me out just a little. I then do a full body circuit type workout using body weight only on the thursday morning. I'll stop every exercise well short of any signs of failure or lactic acid build up as the aim is to push out a little glycogen and  to make the muscles slightly more susceptible to the mini carb load I'm about to employ. I immediately begin 2 high carb days with no cardio and a limited amount of posing which tends to fill me out and take me to spilling over point. I'll aim to spill over either Friday night or early Saturday morning and then will pull it back by lowering my carbs or going on just protein and fats and a little fibrous carbs to dry out till the Sunday pre judging.

I'll also cut my water around 4pm the day before the show and this seems to dry me out nicely. I don't count litres and taper up and down at all through the final week. I basically drink as much as I can throughout the diet. Increasing it in the last week just by consciously drinking more and often up to the day before  the show and then cutting it at the desired point. I very rarely eat many carbs on the day of the show and rely on my glycogen stores being full to bursting due to the lack of activity over the last couple of days and find I'm usually as full as I need to be without spilling over. I may have a little potato with my chicken first thing in the morning but mainly rely on fats and protein to keep me going.
Mark

markthorpe7@hotmail.co.uk
Email
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2011, 11:23:28 AM »

Hi Jason.
I was wondering the importance of not STRESSING the body by carb depleting with zero carbs?!! Is zero carb CRITICAL to do, for the muscle, to respond greatly to uploading, days before a contest. Or do you think on carb depletions days, one should just keep the muscle 'carb hungry'-so to speak- with say 100gms or more, then a day or so post 'showtime' one should just have a good feast treat eg, carbs(complex/simples), steak/eggs ect. Instead of the normal loading with 100's of gms of carbs and then analizing oneself, HOPEFULLY not to exceding spillover!
So my main question to you ,Jason, is in the first sentence, because if ones physic is least stressed then the better one may look up on stage-do you think?
I would be intrigued to understand your philosophy on this critical area of dieting.
Mark

markthorpe7@hotmail.co.uk
Email
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2011, 01:10:35 PM »

Sorry, Jason, Mark again. In the last question, mistake made. I mean PRE not POST contest. But i would gather you would understand that! It would be grateful for your reply...Many thank! Grin
Jason Barnett

WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2011, 10:00:31 PM »

Hey Mark thank you for your patience I hope my answer is worth the wait.
Again this is just my thinking on this and for me Bodybuilding competition is the ultimate examination of the effort and work you have put into your physique over the past weeks, months and years and not just hours and days. Given the choice I'd definitely rather be onstage displaying 99% of my efforts over that period rather than attempt to force something magical and hopefully appear with a physique thats 101% of what I've built previously, while running the high risk of screwing up the magic trick and displaying only 90% of the true potential of my physique.  
In the 22 years I've been involved in Natural Bodybuilding very rarely could I ever say I've witnessed or heard a testimonial from someone who was dramatically bigger and fuller, as a direct result of an extreme zero carb depletion/Loading strategies. Now in the non tested arena I've seen some amazing transformations but thats a whole different ball game as far as I'm concerned and extreme sports can call for extreme strategies. Natural Bodybuilding is supposed to be as healthy as it can be, even at the highest level and so I believe shouldn't require super extreme strategies to look your best.

Now I do know a few people who would say that even as natural Bodybuilders they have had some success with zero carb depletion and loading. I'd agree that yes, they've ended up big and full but I'd argue that they are any fuller than they'd been in their fully loaded stages throughout the whole of their contest prep after their regular high carb periods without depletion.
Conversely I've heard of and seen many who've ended up feeling flatter and smaller than they could possibly have imagined because of such extreme measures. I certainly have suffered in this way, in that not only did it feel as if I had lost muscle size while depleted. Even when fully loaded I felt a lot smaller than I had only 6 or 7 days before. Throughout the carbing up process after depletion, I often failed to feel the fullness which I would normally feel throughout my normal high carb periods of the diet. This was a feeling which would often lead to the last minute practice of destroying every simple carb in sight in an attempt to try and force even more last minute glycogen into a muscle which just wouldn't seem to load as you'ld like. Sometimes it would be as if you we're trying to blow up a tyre realising there might be a leak and that somehow no matter how much air you seem to be foot pumping in, it's just not working.

I feel in these situations that there's definitely a case in my experience for the muscles to become less efficient at storing glycogen when the depletion periods are too severe. The body seems to turn to metabolising muscle as a preferred energy source in the absence of sufficient glycogen and then struggles to use carbohydrates efficiently when they are reintroduced. For this reason and again its not science but just my experience and theory, I prefer to stick with what I know best from throughout the whole dieting period where i cycle high, moderate and low carb days. So assuming the show is on a Sunday I do 3 slightly lower days maybe Monday to Wednesday where I feel a little softer but the muscles still maintain a little fullness then 2 high to moderately-high carb days which tend to fill me out to my maximum, where I'll feel very full but will begin to spill over. I then know I've reached my limit but will usually continue with a couple of moderate carb meals on the Saturday morning to confirm I've spilled, before going much lower carb for the rest of the day right up to the show to pull things back a little to the point where I have the fullness exactly where I want it and then I'll just maintain this to the next day and the stage doing very little activity apart from posing and be confident that I'll be onstage at somewhere near 100% . The moral of the story Mark is better to be safe than sorry. Smiley
Jason Barnett

WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2011, 01:09:44 PM »

Hey Guys. I've set up a Youtube channel, where every week from next week I'll be answering questions for Free on the best ways to get the body you want. So If you know anyone who's interested in weight loss, muscle gain, or even just getting fit and healthy, then get them to Subscribe to this page. Its not for the advanced, so not really for us guys but it may be fun to watch anyway. Its just basic common sense stuff for the hundreds of people I meet everyday and the thousands of young people I work with, who literally ask me questions such as why aren't crisps good for you, if they are made from potatoes and thats one of the sensible ones. This is gonna save me a hundred emails a day answering the same questions so I'm excited about this. Thank Guys.

http://www.youtube.com/user/coachjasonbarnett
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements