August 20, 2019, 11:03:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Beginner - A long way to go....  (Read 3805 times)
buttonsgirl1987

« on: May 17, 2011, 02:40:44 AM »

Hi all,

well basically I have joined this forum after following my other half - Kristopher - on the site. I find his posts as well as others I have read inspiring and now, in preparation for my training, I wish to keep a journal!

I have trained before and got to a pretty decent shape. I was 18 and a half stone of pure blubber at 18 and decided to do something about it. Fat loss was key at first then I found, after a lot of research, that bodybuilding was the way to go! I trained hard, different muscle groups each day with one day off a week, good high protein diet and soon I got the shape I wanted. However, I took it a little too far and ended up looking plain skinny and weird!

I have had two years off now, yes, shocking I know! I am now fully into the idea of perhaps following in the footsteps of Kris and training for a competition potentially...if not, just for my own health and general interest in bodybuilding.

My goal is to shed as much fat as possible and become a good runner for a figure competition. I have began my diet today and intend to concentrate on cardio training and diet for the first few weeks, slowly increasing my weight training...

I am thinking light weights to begin with as I don't to gain mass, just tone as much as I can. Having weighed so much previously, my stomach was the hardest place to tone. I need advice as to how I can get this part of my body as toned as possible...

Any advice for a virtual beginner is welcomed though!
daveybriggs

NPA South-East Lightweight Champion

daveybriggs@hotmail.com
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 09:07:21 AM »

welcome Smiley

look forward to reading this journal!

do you find you gain alot of mass very easily as even ladies who lifty very heavily rarely seem that big? if you pre-disposed to gaining mass easily thoguh i can understand why you stear away from a muscular hypertrophy based routine

good luck! competition is a great motivator Smiley
Damo NY

www.damianleestailoredfitness.co.uk

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 09:20:07 AM »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You will get plenty of tips and good advice here.

If you've just started training with weights again I would begin working with light weights to become familiar with the exercises again and mastering technique, and then slowly increase the resistance week by week.  I really wouldn't worry about becoming 'too big'.  You only need to take a look at for example the figure girls that Ian Duckett trains. They all lift weights and I bet some of them are stronger than a lot of guys, yet they are still shapely and toned!

Regarding your stomach you could start with basic exercises such as Crunches and Leg Raises that will assist with 'toning' your stomach. Bear in mind though you can do all the ab exercises out there for countless sets and reps. If they are covered in a layer of bodyfat you won't be able to see the results. A combination of a solid exercise program, balanced diet (with a slight calorie deficit) and you'll be on your way to achieving the figure competition look you aspire to.  The key thing here is consistency.

Good luck!

Damo
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 09:38:56 AM »

Welcome to this forum, I have only been here for a few months myself but it has proven invaluable and I have forged some real strong connections and in some cases also friendships.

Congratulations on the huge initial fat loss, having done similar myself a few years ago I can appreciate the great feeling that gives. To then take it a stage further and delve into the world of bodybuilding is very very challenging and mentally exhausting. Be sure you want to go past "looking good" to "competing" as they are very different and once you are in, you are in and it becomes your life!

Firstly I would ask you to look at it all in the most simple way. Diet, smart nutrition, cardio coupled with a muscle building weight training programme is all you need to think about.
1. Nail the diet which is simply consuming the correct amount of calories to achieve your goal - above maintenance for putting on mass and below maintenance for cutting.
2. Make sure the calories are split into the correct ratio that works for you 40% Carb, 40% protein and 20% Fat is a nice start to see how you get on, then adjust up and down on the ratio to find personnel perfection. And make sure they are split into nice small meals throughout the day.
3. Follow a simple cardio plan - find what you like and stick to it - 30 mins LIT on the bike, 45 mins LIT on the bike or maybe 16 mins HIIT. Just get what you like and stick to it.
4. Weight training - get a programme that you can stick to - three day split, or four day split etc and then just be consistant with it and make sure you do every workout with nice form and hit your targets.

Do not follow the mistake of thinking that size and mass and tone comes down to lighter reps for tone and heavy for mass. That school of thought went out a long time ago I believe.

Body composition is determined by the diet. I personally lift to my max heavy weights and my body changes according to my diet and cardio. Weight training is the building block and just lays the foundation for muscle growth, the kitchen and rest and recovery time is when the muscles do what you feed and fuel them to do.
ildibear
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 11:20:27 AM »

Well, hello. One brave lady, it's a men's world over here. Please keep up your journal, I promise I'll be here to cheer you on and put them fellas right when they misguide a lady. Girls are less likely to talk out of their a$$e  Wink. Gosh, I might even start my own journal... Great post from Toby, words of wisdom all around. Just to reiterate: careful with "toning exercises". It's crucial to have correct form but make sure you handle enough poundage to look like a bodybuilder and not like a Hollywood starlet. Don't be scared of lifting heavy, naturally built bodies don't get large and if that was to happen (as if), being a girl you can get rid of it in no time. And definetly no doing reps with anything that weighs less than your handbag. You have a lovely basic frame, don't get obsessed with one body part, they will all need work for good symmetry, although some might respond more easily than others. In bodybuilding X marks the spot so special attention to be given to bits above your waist as that's where women tend to be small and most worry about saggy bums and other bits below. Do your homework, look at as many photos of successful girls as you can, see what shape they are, what sets them apart. Read, read and read. There's lots of contradicting advice out there (training and nutrition are not an exact science and lots of people wanna make money quickly) but eventually you figure out what makes sense to you, what fits in with your daily routine, from then on it's trial and error, I'm afraid. You seem to be surrounded by like-minded people so hopefully someone will point out if you stumble upon something horribly wrong. Make sure that your nutritional plan is in line with your objectives, don't get confused by the word diet. If you want to build muscle you've gotta eat big. People are amazed how much I go through, I eat over 3000 cals in the off-season and I almost never lose a six-pack. Anyway, good luck, you'll have so much fun.
felix

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 08:41:34 PM »

Hello welcome to the forum you will get some great advice on here.
ildibear
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 09:56:06 PM »

Hello welcome to the forum you will get some great advice on here.

Fear not.

BTW Felix, advice. I've seen some pics of your trainee Sharon at some UKBFF show (at least, I believe it was her), the progress she made is phenomenal (I saw her at the BNBF Northern last year), I'd be taking your advice  Grin.
felix

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 11:12:48 PM »

Thanks Ildi Sharon is getting ready for the Yorkshire at the minute she is a very strong girl she deadlifted 86kg x 6 in the gym on Sun at a bodyweight of 47kg and did 16 pull ups as well.
thebull

"What we do in life, echos in eternity"

Email
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 07:57:59 AM »

Mrs jones! Hope your looking after little kristopher nd he is behaving!

To follow others! Definitely use weight, start with basic moves for high reps on the core lifts to learn the correct movement patterns then progress
buttonsgirl1987

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 01:56:06 PM »

Thanks to all of you for replies... I cant believe how much like a big happy family it is, all encouragement and smiles haha!

Bull, yes, I am looking after him well... as to be expected haha

Well training has taken a back seat for a few days due to unforeseen nonsense occuring but tomorrow, intending on hitting it hard. Diet going well, high protein, low carb but felt a little tired today.

Tomorrows work out: LEGS!!!

Quads/Hamstrings/Calves:

Squats- 2 x 8-12
Seated Leg Curls- 2 x 8-12
Walking Lunges- 2 x 8-12 (Each Leg)
Straight Leg Dumbbell Deadlift- 2 x 8-12
Seated Leg Extensions- 2 x 8-12
Standing Calf Raises- 3 x 12-15

What are thoughts?
thebull

"What we do in life, echos in eternity"

Email
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 10:44:06 PM »

Personally would do that workout like this (based on your goal being to get used to the exercises and compounds are more effective earlier in the workout)

Squats: 3 sets of 12-20 Gradually adding weight until you are at the bottom end of that rep range
Lunges: 2 sets of 12-15 Start with a weight that easily gets you 15 then pick a slightly more challenging one for the second set
Seated leg curl: 3 sets of 12-20 Same principle as first lift, hitting your most challenging weight that gets you nearer 12 on the last set
DB deadlifts straight leg: 2 sets of 12-15
Standing calf raise: 3 sets of 12-20

The reason I suggest the prior is as follows:
-when getting back to the gym its worth spending some time getting the technique right, so a few sessions at higher reps is useful for achieving that. Can prevent eventual sloppy form and injury, plus your doing legs which can take a bit more.
-you are better off starting with the most challenging moves likes squats and lunges as there will require the most energy so its worth hitting when fresh.
-Once you have done the lunges and squats you wont need much more for quads IMO
- Keep a rep tempo of 2 on the eccentric and 2 on the way up (again for technique purposes!)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements