April 26, 2019, 07:46:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quest to regain confidence and shape  (Read 2337 times)
On A Mission!

« on: September 18, 2011, 02:44:43 PM »

Im not really sure where to begin so I will start from the begining.

Im 25 years old and looking to get 'lean' and to learn from previous mistakes.  About November time last year I lost all motivation in life, I got made redundant and had a few personal issues.  This resulted in me losing focus and literally wanted to do nothing.  I was in and out of jobs until end of May this year, literally working every other week in a variety of roles (warehousing, royal mail, co-op stores).

While spiralling out of control I had decided to drink more then I usually did (socially at weekends) and started to hit it 3 or 4 nights a week at home on my own. You can also probably count the amount of times I have been to the gym in the last 6 months on 2 hands!!

There is a couple of reasons for this, lack of inspiration or motivation and I suffered an inaugral hernia so I was limited to what I could and couldnt do.

It was only when I came back off holiday I realised how bad I look. Belly, several chins and a debatable chest/moobs! I also had my hernia removed 17th August and was then unable to train for 6 weeks (ends on 28th September) so I continued to drink out of boredom.

It was only in the last couple of weeks when attempting to jog as part of my hernia recovery I realised that I was seriously out of shape I really was.

So I have decided to make a change and thought where else to get input then from a body building forum, where people spend there lives striving for perfection.  I have had a nutrition diary written for me by a member on here 3 years ago and had really good success with it and combined with proper training methods, in 8 weeks I shreded 1 and a half stone and gained some definition.  I will upload some pics at the end of this post so you will see Im naturally not a big guy anyway. 

My goal is to:

lose body fat (especially around mid section) and grow some mass
ideal weight I would be is around 80kgs (currently 74 kgs) - not big difference but if I lean out it would give an illusion of being bigger then I am
dare I say it - look good on a beach
to be able to hold my own on a football pitch

I know this is not a short term effort and will take a lot of time and dedication. Alcohol will be cut out hugely compared to what I have been consuming with me drinking only on special occasions.

I heard a phrase on a tv show the other week and am a believer of it - if you look good you feel good. At the minute I feel and look neither!

I will attach 3 pictures, one from my holiday which was when reality hit me, 2 from today as starter photos.

Any help or feedback will be listened too, I will do updates for what I am eating/drinking and what I am doing for training.  I will be starting this tomorrow and will hit the weights on the 3rd October (gives me 2 weeks of cardio to help me prepare)

The training I will be doing will be from an issue of Mens health for a month (the big 3 are included - chest press, deadlifts and squats) until I get back to my old gym (am in the process of changing from one to another where I was training before and know a PT - brother of who wrote the nutritional programme)
scam

BNBF south wales ,middle weight champion 2006

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 02:52:41 PM »

Good luck mate
K_Dogs

DOMS makes you feel alive....

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 05:11:34 PM »

You need to be consistent. So if you aim to train 3 times per week EVERY single week you can begin to gain some momentum. Really going at it hard for a couple of weeks then hardly going back to the gym just wonít cut it.
Even if you think you already understand the big three lifts (Squats, Bench press and Deadlifts), take some time to really understand the ins and outs by doing your research. If you hit each of these exercises EVERY week using good form and with good guidance, you could easily add pounds of muscle to your frame. Youíll need a good diet and sufficient rest to really makes things happen though.
Iíd completely forget all fancy exercises and master the basics, itís the fastest way to build a dense body to be proud of.
Alex

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 06:27:15 AM »

Mr P, good to see you on the forums, time to fix up look sharpe Smiley

Some good advice there from Keith, consistency is the key.

Consistency, progression of technique and then weight, keep to the basic movements as these will cause the most stress on the body and develop a good solid base (Get some one to really help you nail your form on these). Diet (ties into consistency, get enough calories in and make sure they are the right mix of good nutrients, plenty of protein (variey your sources), good fats (look up udos oil) seeds/nuts (not peanuts Tongue)

What is your diet and workout plan moving forward?
On A Mission!

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 10:16:06 PM »

Thanks for the support Scam and the tips Keith. I did used to go 3 times a week but made the silly mistake of changing gyms and not doing proper research. The rest shouldnt be too hard its just lack of sleep I suffer from, hopefully getting back into training will sort that.

I know I still have a lot to learn but am always looking to further my knowledge.

I will research the moves so I can focus on getting the form and consistency right.  I do have a bar at home I can practise with.

G, I will be back training with your bro next month so he will help get form and push me in the right direction.  I will look up udos oils at work tomorrow. I have been out and got some seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, sesame and golden linseeds).

Today was a hard day, earliest Id been up for a long time but heres how my day went:

630 - 30 minute walk
715 - 2 x wholemeal toast and 3 eggs scrambled
1000 - 1 x apple (usually would have Protein shake as well)
1300 - 2 x wholemeal rolls with chicken breast and lettuce
1645 - Protein shake, banana and satsuma
1845 - 4 x chicken thighs (slow cooked through day), mash potato, carrots, brocolli and cauliflower
2045 - 8 min jog (1 mile) and 20 minute walk back
2130 - protein shake

Throughout the day I have had about 2-2.5 litres of water. 

Usually I would go to the gym at 1800 on the way home from work.

Gym plan - I have decided against the mens health one as it was too Abdominal based. Am going to try and find my old training notes and do one of them programs, if I cant find them I will look online for something.  I will get that done for tomorrows post.
Alex

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 09:43:20 AM »

10:00, I personally would add an additional piece of fruit and some seeds/nuts (slow the digestion down of the whey/fruit.
13:00, See if you can change out the wholemeal bread here, dont become over reliant on bread - depending if you have a mic opt for a potato, if not pre cooked brown rice, and hit some more veggies in for the fibre to keep things "moving" (if not on the bread, try and include some green vegetables, pre cooked broccoli, etc)
21:30 Seeds/Nuts - Slow that whey protein down. A good whole egg omelette is good choice if you want to mix it up (eggs are a good source to throw in, hard boiled they are easy to take to work).

Make sure the program you go for focuses on the compound lifts, so (bench press, deadlift, squats (of some variety, if you do not have a squat rack get to Body Flex once a week). Get my bro to take you through some flexibility training for your upper body to loosen up your posture and some specific back exercises to pull you scaps back in, this will open up your chest and bring your shoulders back (to avoid shoulder impingement).

First few weeks forget weight and nail form, get your body use to the motor programs and then when that form is nailed look to slowly add the weight and eventually push through the comfort zone.

Get some cardio interval training involved, being fit lends itself to building tissue and reducing body fat and will also help with your training sessions.

Looks like your on you way mate, so dig deep keep us updated on hear and Im sure the guys on here will give you some good pointers along the way. Cool
Alex

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 09:44:17 AM »

One last thing as there are some good lifters/pt's/coaches on here get my bro to film your lifts and whack them on youtube then post the links and we can all help with form,
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements