July 20, 2019, 12:39:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CURRY TIME  (Read 7702 times)
SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR 5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« on: September 29, 2011, 07:46:27 PM »

A nice low carb healthy curry i like to make

1 onion
nice sized piece of ginger
1 chilli
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon tumeric
1 teaspoon of cumin
curry powder to taste or garam massala

1 pepper
4 mushrooms
small amount of lentils
chopped toms
4 tomatoes
chicken stock cube
chicken

Nice and easy
brown the onion, garlic,ginger,and chilli untill soft
add veg and lentils
add spices, stir till them cover the veg
add hot water till it covers veg
add chopped toms and stock cube
stir until the spices are mixed with the fluid and you have  a curry coloured sauce
add the chicken
then just let it simmer until the lentils have swelled up and thickend the sauce and it's all cooked. I like to add cauli as well, just so its more filling
andy1237

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 07:38:46 PM »

I love curry, and its so easy to do.

I make it like this:

500g diced chicken
1 tin chopped tomatoes
250g frozen spinach
250g frozed diced onion
250g chopped baby potatoes (skin on)
3 cubes frozen crushed garlic
3 cubes frozen crushed chilli
1 sachet 'Schwartz' chicken curry spices

Throw it all in together in a slow cooker and forget about it for a few hours (you might need to stir occasionally) When its done, split into 4 equal portions and freeze for later.

When I want one I blast it in the microwave and serve with half a 250g bag of microwave rice and a small protein skake (20g whey protein isolate with water).

Total including shake:
578 cal, 65g protein, 60g carb, 14g fat, 9g fibre, 710mg sodium

In fact I'm just about to get one out of the freezer now!
Monbeef

Author of The Tower Grave - available on Amazon!

Email
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 05:53:56 PM »

That sounds nice and easy I might try it. Like the sound of potatoes and spinach in it. It's like a sag aloo in a chicken curry!
But one question - where did you find frozen garlic and chilli cubes?

One thing about curries, or in fact anything with rice. I'm very texture conscious and feel incomplete with somehing that's all soft/sloppy with no crunch. How do you add crunch to curries without unhealthy onion bhajis?
andy1237

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 06:37:42 PM »

I get frozen garlic/chilli cubes from Asda. The brand is 'Dorot' and they come in a plastic container that looks like an ice cube tray. They also do corriander and ginger in the same format. Saves LOADS of hastle and smelly fingers from chopping it up fresh.

Monbeef- I dont know about the crunch. I have made low carb onion bhajis before with onion/egg/almond flour fried in olive oil, but I don't know exactly how many cals are in it without working it out. Probably quite high with oil/almond.

Maybe you could treat yourself to a toasted wholemeal garlic pitta with it or something (about 150-200 cal extra)
Monbeef

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 06:45:35 PM »

That's a good idea. Or could even just use peppers cooked shorter with the rice for crunch.

Thinking about it I use chilled garlic puree so prob don't need frozen, and I've recently got some Mr Naga chilli pickle which is a blistering, smoky, paprika and oil-filled delicious pickle made with Naga Morich chillies.

For those who don't know, Naga Morich are the sister chilli of the same genus as Bhut jolokia chillies - they are both the ghost chillies, the hottest in the world at over 1 million Scoville heat units. Immense. 4 tines as hot as a hot scotch bonnet.

But the pickle isn't too bad. A spot of oil blows your head off but is delicious and a little spoonful would work for a whole curry.

Looks like I'm ready to go! Curry this week I think.
andy1237

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 10:08:18 PM »

Peppers are great in some currys but dont think it would work for this particular one. Like you say its more of a sag aloo with chicken.

Ilove a hot curry but this Naga Morich sounds a bit too fierce for me! Probably give me 'ring of fire' the next day.

While on the subject of chilli, does anyone know if its true that chilli is thermagenic i.e. fatburning. Just something I heard mentioned once.
Monbeef

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 07:28:06 AM »

Yes it is mate. It's the Scoville units you want to look at. So some fat burners contain cayenne pepper which is 30000-50000 SHU, some contain capsicum of which pure capsicum is 16,000,000 SHU but don't know what's in the fat burners.

Chilli wise - jalapenos 50000 SHU, Birds eye chillies 100000 SHU, habanero 100000-325000 SHU, red Sabina habanero 575000 SHU, Dorset Naga 950000 SHU, and Ghost chillis 1,000,000+ SHU!

The rest - police grade pepper spray is about 5 million in the US, street pepper spray around 3 million. There are sauces up to 16,000,000 but they're not for consumption and one is $245 for 1ml sealed with wax! They range right through with Tabasco around 30000.

You'd be fine with my Mr Naga mate. I would put the tip of a teaspoon into a big curry and it would spice the whole thing moderately but also give a great smoky chilli flavour. I will also put a tiny bit into a marinade, say for hot chicken, or even the tiniest bit into a batch of olive oil to drizzle onto pizza. Heat aside the flavour is amazing and addictive.

See what you mean about peppers, makes sense. In fact this curry with the chicken and spuds probably already has a complete texture to it. Sounds good I'm gonna make it.
andy1237

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 03:07:01 PM »

Wow, you really know your chillis Monbeef, and more concerningly, your police pepper spray!

I'll keep my eye out for that Mr Naga sauce, sounds good..
Monbeef

Email
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 10:28:42 PM »

Luckily I get to hold CS at work and not pepper. CS is way better, with the only downside being it doesn't work on dogs. Pepper works on dogs but it only works on eyes. CS effects everything around it which is why transport police have pepper. CS would not be good on a tube!

Yes mate, love chillies. Im still too girly though. Working on it!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements