May 25, 2019, 11:49:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Quest to pose at New York  (Read 5186 times)
Mark Hesketh

Email
« on: October 26, 2011, 01:39:13 PM »

Having seen a few of the other journals and in particular Tobyís excellent diary it has made me think of recording my own thoughts/training/eating and other habits (some of them  Wink) for all to see. Iím not sure if anybody will be interested or if I will be able to keep it up. I do not generally follow other journals as I find it starts to take up far too much time and takes me away from other more important priorities. I will start with where I am currently and at some point backtrack a bit. So here goes;

Having just competed in the NPA British Finals in the o50ís on Sunday coming 5th I came away really happy both with the result, my condition and the whole atmosphere of the day. Even though I probably reached my best, or at least equalled my best previous, condition I also came away thinking there is a little bit more in me. Having seen some pics and video footage this reinforced these thoughts. As I have not struggled at all with the diet I have decided to carry on and see where I get to. With this in mind I was/am planning on maybe doing an open comp at some point.

I have also booked to go and watch the INBF/WNBF Worlds in New York 12th Nov and have a few good days in NYC enjoying all of its delights. Having travelled with the NPA team to a few international comps there is always a great atmosphere and sense of team in what is a very solitary sport/activity. So Iím finally getting to watch a comp I have always wanted to get to!!

It was suggested to me some time ago that seeing as I would be in shape and going anyway why didnít I have a go at competing myself. My response to this was ď**** off itís the World ChampionshipsĒ and Iím not of that standard. Good enough to qualify for the British, when I get it right, and hey even 5th place this year but the Worlds are another step up.

It has been on my mind ever since but mostly thinking donít be stupid Mark lol especially as they are only having an O40ís at the Worlds. Anyway I have now been informed that they will now split the O40ís in half by age creating an ĎOlder Mastersí class!! So I have decided to enter and will be taking my trunks to NY  Grin

I have been told that only the top 5 in each class get to do their posing routine. Iím a big believer in goals and targets, so the goal is to now get to do my posing routine in New York. A big big challenge but I do like a challenge  Wink

If doing the British is like being thrown into the deep end of the pool, doing the Worlds must be like being thrown into the middle of the Ocean  Grin  time to learn to swim  Grin

Anyway nearly time to train so will put some more up later or tomorrow!!
K_Dogs

DOMS makes you feel alive....

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 02:36:54 PM »

A journal with a direction is always interesting. Looking forward to hearing how the prep goes.
Good luck.
HelenS

WNBF Pro, 2012 WNBF Overall World Champion

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 02:48:21 PM »

Good decision  Grin  Look forward to reading you journal and seeing you in NYC.  Grin
thebull

"What we do in life, echos in eternity"

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 02:54:24 PM »

Awesome mate good luck!
felix

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 03:29:12 PM »

Mark I look forward to following your journal good luck with your preps for New York.
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 03:35:37 PM »

A video from New York would kick ass frankly! They take a little bit of time but as I have no life outside of bodybuilding I enjoy doing it. Any journal writing would be fascinating Mark as everyone else learns a bit from others and would be great to get a bit of insight into how you prepare.  Grin
Damo NY

www.damianleestailoredfitness.co.uk

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 03:45:22 PM »

Great stuff Mark.

You'd be a fool not to take up the opportunity if you're going there anyway. Makes enjoying the food and delights even more worthwhile after the show  Smiley

Good luck!

Mark Hesketh

Email
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 12:57:18 PM »

Wow thanks guys and Helen. 

Last night played the DVD from the MWC and went through every compulsory pose and the quarter turns to the sound of MJP calling them out on the TV  CheesyĖ was like being back onstage again. Great DVD from Fivos and canít wait to get the one from the British Finals and hopefully iron out any little mistakes. This will be a regular nightly procedure until the Worlds.

Was also supposed to be making a start on putting a new posing routine together just in case I get the chance to perform it in New York but struggled with it. So still high on my Ďto do listí but will struggle as really busy at the moment!!! Yes I am a list person its the only way I do not forget things  Grin

45min powerwalk first thing this morning and took it outside for the first time in a couple of weeks. Doing this most mornings now, although lately it has been on the treadmill on an incline. It was great to be outdoors again with the Prodigy ringing in my ears. Tomorrow it will be around the marine lake on the coast in the fresh sea air.

Goals
A quick backtrack to how I have got where I am so far.

I am a great believer in goals written down and reviewed regularly, sad I know but works for me lol. Every year I write the top 10 things I want to achieve/do/places to go etc and generally in order of importance to me. The first 5 this year all relate to quality time with my kids and growing and improving my new gym business Ė all of these are far more important than any of my own training goals period!!

6.  A serious attempt at the M2 (45-49 yr olds) world single squat record which is currently 185kg. With the Europeans being in Estonia and the worlds being in USA I knew that my only chance would be at the British Singles in Feb. Cocked this up really as was physically and mentally ready but took 3 attempts to squat 180kg  Angry. Should have got this at first attempt which would have given me two attempt at say 186 or 187.5kg. Basically did not perform on the day and was pretty annoyed with myself.

7. Train more consistently Ė with the gym being my main priority my own training has taken a back seat so goal was to step the training up and train without being disturbed. Have managed this by having somebody helping out and training is going really well.

8. Go to New York to watch the WNBF/INBF Worlds Ė a comp I have wanted to get to for a few years now but have never really had a mixture of the funds and time. But I am going this year  Wink

9. Get in shape for my 50th Ė the intention here was to take the kids on a nice holiday in the October half term and get myself in decent nick for a holiday say sub 170lbs (see my abs type condition). Also possibly enter the NPA SE a few days after my 50th but know from the past that would be around 160lbs and thought it unlikely. Kids had different half terms so holiday wasnít possible but did manage to compete Cheesy Grin although it was the MWC

10. Test my strength at u75kg (if I get down to that weight) with a view to competing in a powerlifting comp. Depending on if I could cope with the diet and it didnít interfere with the other main priorities I would be below this bodyweight.

So that is where I am today having achieved everything I set out (and more) apart from that bloody world record, and ironically the O50ís records are higher so going to have to pull my socks up.

This week at around 72-73kg I squatted on Monday and did a 155kg and should have got a 160kg but hesitated. Having not squatted to full depth for 20wks and doing mostly 20 reps. So would have qualified for both u75kg and u82.5kg British Finals even the u90kg if I had of done that 160kg.

Yesterday I bench pressed for the first time in 20wks again as have been doing mostly DB work and cables, managed a 100kg with a pause and would have qualified for the British Finals. Baring in mind I am crap at bench and my best ever in comp is 105kg I was very surprised.

So it appears that I can be competitive at u75kg(for my age) in powerlifting . Having won the British Singles Squat twice at u82.5kg and both British & Worlds Squat at u90kg it would be nice to go for the u75kg title if I could stay sub 75kg for Feb 2012.

Today is back and biceps so I am going to start with deadlifts, again having not done deadlifts off the floor for 20wks. My best ever deadlift is only 185kg and the qualifying weight for u75kg is 155kg. Currently toying with the idea of doing the BDFPA qualifier in Midlands on 6th Nov but also need to make sure I do not get injured before New York. 

More later or tomorrow Mark  Smiley
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 02:29:08 PM »

Brilliant read Mark. I like the mental ticking of the boxes. The importance of setting exact goals should never be underestimated. It is all too easy to say that we want to kinda do this, or have a go at something like that when we need to have a precise goal to work towards.

Got a question if that is cool, something I ask everyone really - your powerwalk, is that the limit to the cardio? I know you said you do it on treadmill indoors too but I am more curious about a typical cardio amount in and off season. Daily? Once per day? Steady pace via walking for extended time or ever harder and shorter HIIT-esq?
Mark Hesketh

Email
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 04:30:13 PM »

Further update  Smiley

Great back session. Deadlifting went well but didn't want to go too heavy as my lifting belt no longer fits  Cheesy I will have to either get a smaller one or get more notches put in this one  Grin. Pulled 160kg easily so again would have qualified for the deadlift finals for u75kg and had I of tried 165kg probably the u80k finals too - so a happy boy. Rest of back & bicep workout went well too. Baby weights compared to some of you I know but I'm quite surprised by my relative strength considering the diet and having not done any of the lifts for so long  Huh Really fired up to get back to the powerlifting now  Cool

Anyway back to the BB. Have decided to have a bit more time on stage prior to NYC and if I can put it together try out a new routine. So I have entered the Mansfield Open BB Show this Saturday, a non tested comp being run for the first time for charity. Give me another chance to practice the compulsories in a competitve environment. Will no doubt be the smallest there as probably be one or two lads who use alot of creatine  Wink. Will be one of 6 in the Masters with some of the lads entering their first ever contest. Is a run through comp starting at 4pm so should be interesting, I'm just going to treat it as a workout and do what I would normally do through the day eating wise.

Toby - one of my conditions for dieting and prepping this year was to do less cardio (so time consuming) and also aware some say they do no cardio at all  Shocked In 2006 when I was working I did cardio first thing steady pace powerwalk 45min - 1hr early morning, then half hour post workout and near to the British sometime the odd late night session 30-45mins all powerwalking pace. As someone who does not carry alot of mass anyway really wary of losing muscle. So this year it has been most mornings and when indoors on an incline  Smiley I try to do this a couple of times per week off season anyway as prime thinking and planning time  Smiley   If I hadnt of been competing in NYC I was going to drop the powerwalk back to twice a week as off season and see what happened but dont want to change things now!!
SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR £5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 08:59:33 PM »

All the best Mark. Keep the head down and show them what british beef is all about
felix

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 10:40:16 PM »

Mark good luck for the show tomorrow.
Mark Hesketh

Email
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 01:25:12 PM »

Busy busy couple of days for me but not much to report training wise.

Friday morning first thing a powerwalk outdoors around the marine lake by me about 45min at a fast pace. Pretty cold out there but really enjoy being out by the sea and find it really lifts my mood. ipod on bit of Paul Weller and great views across to North Wales.

Day off from the gym and chance to spend day with my youngest daughter - brilliant day!!!  Cool Back in the gym for 5pm but rest day from the weights for me so just practiced the compulsories.

Sat - cardio as usual first thing but on the treadmill.

Sat evening did the Mansfield Comp they didn't have an O50's so went in the O40's against some big lads, 5 of us and quite rightly didn't place. But managed to get a chance to go through all the compulsories and my routine again  Cool One thing was very spooky and has never happened to me before, there was not one sound through the whole of my routine, not a clap or anything. Wow this is very unnerving  Cheesy. There was loads of applause when I had finished which was reassuring  Grin As the comp went on the crowd seemed to get into it more and made alot more noise. But they quite quiet through our whole class and I was second on. 

Didn't actually realise until it was too late that they had a Classic class and I would have been much better off in this class and would have been much more competitve against these lads.

Anyway it was a good little show in their first year and I enjoyed it.

Right time to train Legs - currently I'm supersetting quads and hamstrings 15-20 reps probably only around 6 sets of each with little or no rest at all. I will write up the whole workout later or tomorrow.

daveybriggs

NPA South-East Lightweight Champion

daveybriggs@hotmail.com
WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 01:31:55 PM »

Great journal Mark!

Also write down my goals alot and find it helps make things happen so to speak.

interesting in the U75kg powerlifting? where would I find further info on that mate?

also you probably already know this but I will say it gain anyway, everyone is right behind you going into the big one Mark! The way you present your physique with a sense of prescision and art reflects the way you diet and prepare for a show. great to watch and feel lucky to have seen you at the MWC and finals.

As for this christmas lunch...well i am in!!!!!!

couple of quick questions. what was your first show and what was it like? second who is the inspiration for you in the realms of bodybuilding?

finally greatest natural bodybuilder you have ever shared a stage with or seen in th lfesh?
Mark Hesketh

Email
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 03:44:52 PM »

Opened up the training diary today and I have not really been recording things lately as I have just been going with what I feel like doing and the weights have been whatever they would be and changing exercises regularly etc. A4 day to a page diary and written at the top of the page was;

NYC - 2 wks

No idea when I wrote this in and certainly wasnt recently  Huh but certainly got me fired up for my workout which was;

Supersets just concentrating on the feel and stopping short of positive failure - which I still find strange.

Squats 60k x 20
Leg curls 20k x 16  (really pumped already)

Squats 100k x 18
Leg Curls 25k x 14

Lady Squats  Grin (leg press) 200k x 26
Stiff leg deads 60k x 16

Lady squats 250k x 19
Stiff Legs 70k x12

Duck squats 60k x 15
Adductor machine 50k x 9
Walking Lunges 10k x 2 lengths of gym (not far) Felix how do you use 50kg +  Huh

Pretty much non stop for approx 25 mins 

Calves with 1 mins rest between sets probably

Toe press on leg press 250k x 16
                               250k x 10
Seated calves             50k x12
                                50k x10

Really struggled to get through even this lot today and legs felt pumped to hell. Finished with 5 mins tensing and flexing  Smiley veins in legs visible  Cool

David I will get back to you about those questions!!

Upper body tomorrow - cant wait  Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements