May 25, 2019, 02:14:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 176
  Print  
Author Topic: SuperSi's Journal  (Read 537569 times)
SuperSi

Email
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 03:47:30 PM »

Welcome back to the iron, Si. Good to have your journals back. Your lifts will be back up in no time. Coming back from that time spent on cardio and cross fit, you'll probably recomp well if you eat clean in decent quantity and train for strength and pump at your usual volume. Probably get some size and cuts all at once.

Did you do any grappling? Or only boxing?

Cheers, buddy. Yep, eating pretty well at present. Body comp is ok; bf% was measured at 8.5% in a BODPOD not so long ago.

No grappling, just boxing. I've done Aikido in the past; that's the closest I've got to grappling...so not very close! I can't compete with your Judo exploits!

Hi Si at CLF i'm on the sports nutrition team. So I have my own accounts which I manage and help people with orders, advice etc

Great, I'd imagine that suits you well. Everyone I've met from CLF (Fi, Laura, Simon, Robin, Jeff, etc) has been great.

Today: Back & Shoulders

Rack Deads: worked up to 220kg x 1; 230kg x 1 The pins were set at the lowest height in the power rack, and I stood on 2x20kg plates each side to increase ROM. The bottom of the plates were about 6" off the ground (or if I were guesstimating that distance to my missus, about 12"  Shocked ).  
Pull Ups: BW x 15,12,10,10
Cable seated row: Worked down the stack from midway to the bottom - reps varied from 25-10.
Military Press: 50kg x 10,10,10
Db Lateral Raise: 15kg x 15,12,12
Reverse Flyes: 12.5kg x 12,12,12 (pretty pointless exercise)
Straight arm pull down, under arm row, machine shoulder press, cable lateral raise (giant set; 20reps ish per exercise x 3 sets).

This was a bit of a 'bonus' session. My lower back was pretty tired from deads on Monday and squats on Wednesday, so the session was very unstructured. Just went with it.

I'll go Boxing training tomorrow morning, but aside from that will have the weekend off.

Adam

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 05:03:38 PM »

Good to have your journal up and running again Si , enjoyed your last one.   Whats your current eating plan and supplementation looking like ?  Thanks  All the best with your training . Smiley
Monbeef

Author of The Tower Grave - available on Amazon!

Email
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 09:08:31 PM »

Mate, nice bodyfat levels and nice chins!

How did you find a bodpod? I want to find one.

Yeah aikido doesn't count. I reckon you'd enjoy grappling ie nogi bjj or wrestling, for cardio and recovery benefits.
Boxing is awesome though. My second favourite martial art.
SuperSi

Email
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 12:44:10 PM »

Good to have your journal up and running again Si , enjoyed your last one.   Whats your current eating plan and supplementation looking like ?  Thanks  All the best with your training . Smiley

Thanks, mate  Smiley . How's life down south treating you?

A typical days eating:

06:30 - oats with berries + whey shake
09:00 - cereal bar + milk protein concentrate (MPC) shake
11:15 - pitta/roll of some description. Generally chicken salad; beef salad; salmon salad; etc.
13:30 - banana + whey shake (pre-workout)
15:00 - oats + apple + whey shake (post-workout)
16:30 - same as 11:15
18:00 - apple + MPC shake
20:30 - generally whatever my Girlfriend is good enough to cook. Normally moderate protein, lots of veg and moderate carbs. e.g. lasagne with extra lean mince, home made cheese sause (quark, cottage cheese etc).
22:30 - 200g (ish) cottage cheese 

I'm not weighing food, couting calories, macro nutrient breakdown, etc. I'd guess at circa 400g carbs, 275g pro and 50g fat (it is just a guess though).

I'm aware I eat very regularly and have a pretty high protein intake. I wouldn't necessarily say I think either are optimal or necessary - it just works for me in how I structure my day (and I like eating!). I also have quite a few shakes; this is for convenience and Bulk Powders whey protein is about 0.30 per serving so it's cost effective (that wasn't a sales pitch, by the way!).

Supps:

Whey protein (Bullk Powders WPC 82)
Milk protein concentrate (Bulk Powders MPC)
Multi vit/min with breakfast (currenlty going through some free Wellman ones I'm bartered for at a trade show)
Fish oil with breakfast and pre-bed (Bulk Powders Omega-3)

I'll add in creatine from January. I've always responded really well to creatine; however, having not trained for so long, I'll gain fairly quickly over the next couple of months (I hope!) so there is no point.

Mate, nice bodyfat levels and nice chins!

How did you find a bodpod? I want to find one.

Yeah aikido doesn't count. I reckon you'd enjoy grappling ie nogi bjj or wrestling, for cardio and recovery benefits.
Boxing is awesome though. My second favourite martial art.

Thanks, mate  Smiley .

I was Research Manager at Maxinutrition, so I was in constant contact with various Universities, who ran research trials for me, that had a BODPOD - perk of the job!

Interesting, I'd never really considered it really. You seem to enjoy it though!
Adam

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 09:06:30 PM »

Hi Si thanks for the detailed reply good to see your still getting in plenty of meals  Grin  Life all good down South mate just got new house so busy with that at the moment.  Hope your new job is working out well for you .   
With your deadlifts did you follow a specific programme to hit 290 kg!!  or just added weight to the bar each week ?  I pulled 260 at the weekend but as we all would id like to push it on  Smiley Thanks
SuperSi

Email
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2011, 10:55:24 PM »

The whole house buying thing can be pretty stressful, so I hope it's all sorted  Smiley . Job is all good, ta.

Reading Dean's journal reminded me: I also take Vitamin D.

260kg is strong! I should point out mine was with straps.

Typically it was adding weight to the bar. I tried a Westside Style; the speed days seemed to really help my squat (which is poor), but my deadlift regressed - and I don't think it was from the additional stress from squatting heavier. I just need to continually lift heavy to progress. There was one programme I followed, bringing the reps down from 5, that I liked. I'll dig it out for you tomorrow, mate.

Today: Arms

EZ Curl: Bar + 40kg x 12; + 50kg x 5,4; + 40kg x 10 (form was poor on +50kg)
Db Hammer: 3x10@ 30kg
Preacher machine: 3x8@ ?
CGBP: 85kg x 6,5,4; 80kg x 10
Straight bar ext: 3x10@?
One arm db ext: 20kg x 4; 17.5kg x 12,12 (form was poor on 20kg bells)

Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2011, 11:07:09 PM »

Nice lifting mate, very impressive when one considers your injury situation. What is the current BW and any idea on the BF? I am guessing you are still pretty lean right?

Diet is fascinating to read as I am delving into reading up on nutrition and nice to see how different people tackle this. Thanks for posting that as I for one love that in the journals
SuperSi

Email
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2011, 11:19:09 PM »

Thanks, mate. Nice to hear as I feel pretty weak at present. I'd guess at:

BF%: 10%(could be a little less)
Weight: I rarely weigh myself. I last weighed myself about 4 weeks ago - that was only because I was working with a boxer that had to make weight and he asked me what I weighed: 82kg. I'll probably weigh again in a month or so.

Pleased to hear it's of a little interest  Smiley . Nutrition is certainly a fundamental aspect - particularly the dieting down aspect and retaining muscle.
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2011, 11:26:21 PM »

For me, it is all about the diet. I know the training well enough and do it almost automatically. Training no different today than three weeks before hitting the stage except I was about 9% or less and 10st 12lb then and today am a lot more than that!!!!! All about the diet for me.

Sorry, your journal, not mine, just wanted to explain that I really appreciate it as I am trying to learn nutrition as it is what i am about and not everyone goes to the trouble of listing it like that with timings, amounts etc so that I can tell exactly what has been consumed.
SuperSi

Email
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 11:33:18 PM »

No need to say sorry bud; all comments welcome  Smiley .

Like you, my training doesn't really change pre comp (there is just more of it). I've never understood the 'you've a competition in 12 weeks and you're dieting, so reduce weights by 50% philosophy.'
felix

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2011, 11:44:50 PM »

Si glad to see you are coming back strong after your injury. The 295kg you lifted is a massive deadlift.
thebull

"What we do in life, echos in eternity"

Email
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2011, 12:16:21 AM »

Ahhh yes the famous pre south west living room shots! I will follow this as I did before, scowling at your ridiculous back lifts!
daveybriggs

NPA South-East Lightweight Champion

daveybriggs@hotmail.com
WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2011, 08:39:37 AM »

Great journal Si, your rear double Bi shot is immense.

nutritional breakdown as with training is what I have noticed with many people who have top level physiques..no frills, consistent and with complete dedication.

does your training vary much and which bodyparts have always responded well for you? also any weakpoints and how did you improve them?.

also inspiration to start bodybuilding and best competitor you have seen in the flesh?

SuperSi

Email
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2011, 11:05:17 AM »

There's a big 'strong man' type guy in our gym who weighs about 18 stones (assisted) - reckons he's doing a bodybuilding show. He'll never get in shape mind because he hasn't a clue about what he's doing. The first mistake is that for some reason he's started fannying around with cable exercises LOL ... 'cos bodybuilding involves lots of isolation movements, right? Grin

Then I heard these other two geezers talking about dropping the strength training and adopting a bodybuilding approach ... meaning they were also going to move to lighter weights and higher reps.

All very amusing.

Brilliant! Bodybuilding = must do cables! I've heard people say that they want to look like the guys from the 60s/70s era, so they're going to train "light for shape," drop the weights and perform lots of cables...forgetting that is the complete opposite of how the guys in the 60s/70s trained!

Even when I was much younger, it all seemed rather counter intuitive to do the opposite that had worked to get the muscle in the first place.

Great journal Si, your rear double Bi shot is immense.

nutritional breakdown as with training is what I have noticed with many people who have top level physiques..no frills, consistent and with complete dedication.

does your training vary much and which bodyparts have always responded well for you? also any weakpoints and how did you improve them?.

also inspiration to start bodybuilding and best competitor you have seen in the flesh?

Thanks, nice of you to say  Smiley .

As you say, it's all about consistency. It's a 'marathon not a sprint' and all that.

My training has always been fairly high volume & frequency. I've often been accussed of overtraining. Historically, I swam when I was younger and trained twice a day (as well as football matches); I was training three times per day at points during uni (morning run/lunch weights/evening boxing), so I'd like to think I recover well. I don't, however, tend to perform lots of drop sets/forced reps/etc - it's all about managing stress on the CNS, amongst other things.

Aesthetically, I would say Back/Shoulders/Chest/Quads/Calves are good bodyparts for me. My arms are poor, abs are poor; hamstrings are ok.

My arms have improved, but genetically I will never have a fantastic bicep peak (sounds negative, but it's reality). I've tried slightly higher volume, devoting a separate day for arms and it has helped - I just don't think it's possible to turn a weak bodypart into something amazing. I've been off training for 8 months or so, and straight away my back is responding - it's genetics.

I've never been one for inspirations really. I'm not really that into the competing side - I don't like the time it takes. I compete because I train hard (as I enjoy that), I'm a competitive person and I like having a goal- not because I enjoy the process of dieting/being on stage per se.

Marcel Apfel won the overall at the first show I attended; so that was certainly motivational. I trained in the same gym as Bobby Khan (UKBFF Classic) when I first when to a 'bodybuilding gym' and used to train/chat with him a fair bit - he certainly motivated me.

Best competitor I've seen....I'm not just saying it because they're on here, but I've always been impressed by Jon & Dean. I'm in no way comparing myself to them, as they're far far better than I am, but I think you relate to people with similar styles. i.e. both have well balanced physiques; standout features, but not that detract from the rest of their physique; no glaring weakpoints, etc.

There have been others that have real 'wow' factor, but I'm not convinced they're natural (cynical I know) and I can't relate to their physique, i.e. huge with standout out arms or similar. [/size]

Ahhh yes the famous pre south west living room shots! I will follow this as I did before, scowling at your ridiculous back lifts!

Cheers, I hope you're all good.

Ha ha - all about the living room (because they look better than the stage ones!). They're not so ridiculous anymore. Your back lifts are good too, mate. You've chucked up some decent weights on the deadlift, in particular.  

Si glad to see you are coming back strong after your injury. The 295kg you lifted is a massive deadlift.

Thanks, Felix. That was with straps; I'd like to get to around 260kg without straps and injury free. Are you planning on competing next year?
felix

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2011, 03:26:51 PM »

Si 295kg with straps is still a fantastic 260kg raw would be right up there in any powerlifting show have you ever though of doing a powerlifting show. I am doing another bodybuilding show in less than 3 weeks then I am planning to do a single lifts powerlifting comp in mid Feb doing the deadlift I will probably compete in bodybuilding next year but I may leave it till the later qualifiers.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 176
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements