August 20, 2019, 10:27:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  
Author Topic: what can you dead lift??  (Read 15798 times)
frogface

Email
« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2013, 11:05:04 PM »

very interesting Turpin
Turpin

« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2013, 11:25:16 PM »

very interesting Turpin

Training for strength is quite uncomplicated , provided one is mindful of the overtraining aspect , particularly in the natural trainee where periodisation ( of intensity ) is paramount.
    Too often we see videos on Youtube of guys deadlifting to failure with poor form from the onset , with a pull from the floor that is initiated with shoulders/chest way in front of the bar & exhibiting rounded upper back/open scapulae and the emphasis on mid/low back strain rather than one holding/locking the involved musculature ( upper/lower back ) whilst providing strong drive with the legs & pelvis.

Im certainly not decrying the deadlift as an effective exercise for strength training  ( it most certainly is ) , BUT in terms of musclebuilding/bodybuilding  purpose its benefits are outweighed by its disadvantages .

T. 
Rich mc

Ukdfba under 75kg champion

Email
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2013, 12:04:35 AM »

Some good points there about the deadlift. I have found that over the years this is one exercise that seems to be one step forward two steps back and think it must be down to over training. Eg couple wks back 5x5 training on deads got 185kg 5x5, following wk 187.5kg= nothing, nout, zero could not move the thing??? Work that one out. It must be overtraining. Think I might stat doing deads ever other wk.
Turpin

« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2013, 12:20:39 AM »

Some good points there about the deadlift. I have found that over the years this is one exercise that seems to be one step forward two steps back and think it must be down to over training. Eg couple wks back 5x5 training on deads got 185kg 5x5, following wk 187.5kg= nothing, nout, zero could not move the thing??? Work that one out. It must be overtraining. Think I might stat doing deads ever other wk.

Rich , If 185 x5 reps was at your max then a simple back cycle to say 150 x 3 over 3-5 sets would have been a better option in terms of instilling form whilst promoting recovery and then progress forward over some weeks/months ( 160 x 3 x 3 sets , 155 x3 x 5 sets, 165 x3 x 3 sets , 160 x3 x 5 sets , 170 x3 x 3 sets , 165 x3 x 5 sets , 180 x3 x 3 sets , 170 x3 x 5 sets , 185 x3 x 3 sets , 175 x3 x 5 sets , 187-190 x3  x 3 sets )
    The above allows for volume of work @ heavy load BUT performed in correct form and the strength gains are more muscular than neurological in nature. 

T.
Rich mc

Email
« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2013, 12:32:02 AM »

185kg x5 was not my max to failure, it was 185kg for 5 reps of 5 sets so 25reps in total. Or is that what you mean Huh Sorry.
But yeah that sounds a good way of doing it dropping the weight back, something I have never tryed, I always try and go as heavy as pos and often end up injuring myself.
Turpin

« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2013, 12:44:18 AM »

185kg x5 was not my max to failure, it was 185kg for 5 reps of 5 sets so 25reps in total. Or is that what you mean Huh Sorry.
But yeah that sounds a good way of doing it dropping the weight back, something I have never tryed, I always try and go as heavy as pos and often end up injuring myself.

What I meant is , if 185 x5 ( 5 sets ) was difficult to complete in correct form ie; stuttered reps and/or jerking involved AND given that you failed to increase in workouts after , then use the 185kg as your 5 rep maximum and cycle back / progress forward again beyond this over some weeks/months. 
    The above is a typical cyclical approach over some 3 months that would realise significant gain over a 12 month period to your deadlift.

T. 
Rich mc

Email
« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2013, 12:52:03 AM »

Nice one, thanks for that Turpin. Knowledge is power and after hearing what you say and seeing your deads vid you no your shit so I will be tapping into your knowledge in the future  Grin
Turpin

« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2013, 12:59:56 AM »

Nice one, thanks for that Turpin. Knowledge is power and after hearing what you say and seeing your deads vid you no your shit so I will be tapping into your knowledge in the future  Grin

Your welcome Rich .    Progress ( resistance wise ) is never linear , and a cyclical approach is the only way to realise long term ongoing strength gain.

T.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements