August 20, 2019, 10:58:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Deadlift grip. Switch per set?  (Read 4165 times)
DanYuill

Train insane or remain the same

WWW Email
« on: January 22, 2012, 01:34:16 AM »

Hey all

Something I'd never thought of before popped into my head just now.

When I'm doing regular deadlifts I always use alternate grip.  Left hand is over, right is under.  Is this going to cause muscle imbalances? 

I'm thinking of swapping each set, but worried my weight might drop on the heavier sets if my grip is the opposite to what I'm used to? 

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice:)

PS:  I don't use straps, only chalk after "white knuckling" fails me

Monbeef

Author of The Tower Grave - available on Amazon!

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 07:03:27 AM »

I always did that. Tried swapping to balance it but hated the other way. So, I worked on grip. Now I use a thumbless double overhand grip up to and including 140kg. Above that is used to back to alternate with a thumbless scoop grip but I'm sure its made me wonky.
So now figuring that my grip and forearms are developed anyway, I now use straps over 140kg and am always double overhand.

If you never use straps for anything else, then it won't be a problem on only your heaviest deadlift sets. Use straps.

Plus, for me, no thumbs is stronger when pulling. On rows, pull ups, deads, all of it, I just curl my fingers under. It's better. Try it.
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 12:30:58 PM »

Alternate grip is the number one cause of bicep tendon tears so I always use double overhand grip. I suffered a complete bicep tendon tear where it retracted up my arm in. 2008 and had a two hour op to fix then a month in a cast. Last thing I want is it again
Darrenloxton

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 04:40:45 PM »

Agree with Mon.

Use straps if you need to go heavier than your grip allows.  After all its your back that your working, not your grip. 
crouchmagic

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 08:06:42 PM »

Alternate grip is the number one cause of bicep tendon tears so I always use double overhand grip. I suffered a complete bicep tendon tear where it retracted up my arm in. 2008 and had a two hour op to fix then a month in a cast. Last thing I want is it again

yeh go double overhand Smiley
Zid

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 11:58:35 AM »

I used to do double overhand with straps for all working sets in SLDL or Deads, so anything above 100kg basically. I got to 200kg for 1 with straps but I have just started using some liquid chalk (the nuts by the way!) and have used an alternate grip. Naturally a little nervous but got 160kg 5x5 the other day with just a little chalk and didnt have any issues.

I do like straps and was a big believer but I also like the fact that you can pick up a fair weight raw, without attaching it to your arms.

Horses for courses I guess

In answer tro your question though, I didnt change grip each set, left hand under, right over. Feels more natural to me personally
Zid

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 12:01:09 PM »

NB - Dan, you look like a young Ed Sheeran!
tony_b

Email
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 12:19:50 PM »

I'm the same as Mon - always thought straps were a lame idea, until I realised that it did make hitting my back easier, lol!! Also way prefer thumb being on same side as fingers - I think my grip is actually at its best with fingers slightly open, which correlates with this
Monbeef

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 04:32:16 PM »

Yeah I agree.

And I've just bought some liquid chalk, Zid!
DanYuill

Train insane or remain the same

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 05:00:58 PM »

so the conclusion i'm coming to, is i should just go for double over hand as it's the lest likely to tear anything and wont cause any imbalances ?

Natural Oak

WNBF Pro World, 3x NPA, 1x UKDFBA, ProAm Champ

natural+oak natural+oak
Email
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 11:00:02 PM »

so the conclusion i'm coming to, is i should just go for double over hand as it's the lest likely to tear anything and wont cause any imbalances ?

That would be my opinion too. Double overhand with straps for me too.
thebull

"What we do in life, echos in eternity"

Email
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 12:30:46 AM »

Switch grip for me alternated over each set. No straps, just chalk. Never seem to be able to get on with straps and think its down to my long gay piano fingers (no offense if you are gay, nor do gay people have long fingers-disclaimer)
Touch wood (heh) have not had problems with biceps and have been doing it this way now for about 6 years. Would not be surprised however if it has contributed to my shoulder imbalance.

Have tried the hook grip recently and thats quite good for a change.

Feel like I am missing out now with all you strap nazis!
Monbeef

Email
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 06:25:02 AM »

Hey! I'm anti strap and always will be, but with pull ups with 3 fingers each hand and 14 inch forearms, I've let straps in for one set a week!
mackster

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 11:51:42 PM »

echoing double overhand is the way forward, use alternate grip in the past, but resulted in straining my right lower back - the side which had reverse grip.  the weights take a hit at first but as grip improves the weight comes back.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements