July 18, 2019, 02:10:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sweet Potato  (Read 12658 times)
Dan94

BulkPowders referral code http://referme.to/efed29

« on: June 06, 2016, 01:03:19 PM »

Hi guys

So I've started taking cold chicken and sweet potato (chunks) to work. I follow the instructions and stick them all in the oven, covered with kitchen foil for 20 minutes. They cook fine, but sometimes the middles are still a little hard.

I was hoping some of you guys have some tips to get soft, flavoursome potatoes? When I have whole sweet potatoes I normal stick in the microwave with a wet paper towel over the top which seems to soften it. Perhaps that's what I need to do once they've been cooked in the oven?

Any tips appreciated. Smiley

Cheers
Dan
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 04:19:44 PM »

I batch cook sweet potato a couple of times a week. Bake in the oven (whole, but I guess you could do large chunks/slices). Wash them, stab them, wrap them individually in foil, bake til soft. Keep them in the fridge once they're cool. Easy to grab and go and taste pretty good cold.
Dan94

BulkPowders referral code http://referme.to/efed29

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 04:42:54 PM »

That's what I was doing before, except just covering them with foil as there's like a lot of chunks, 600g at a time. Perhaps I just need to bake them for longer...
SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR 5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 01:29:43 PM »

when I cook spuds in the over in chunk be it white or sweet I always par boil them for 5 minutes first. Drain the wayer off and poor a bit of oil in the sacer pan, lid on and shake. then whack the cover spuds in the over for 45 minutes
Monbeef

Author of The Tower Grave - available on Amazon!

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 10:21:22 PM »

I do mine like chips but in the oven. 30-40 mins at 200c. Bit of oil first, sea salt, garlic powder and smoked Paprika.  Rub it in and put in. Turn halfway through cooking.

Not ideal for the next day at work though!
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 08:16:41 AM »

I do mine like chips but in the oven. 30-40 mins at 200c. Bit of oil first, sea salt, garlic powder and smoked Paprika.  Rub it in and put in. Turn halfway through cooking.

Not ideal for the next day at work though!

I am with the Beef-Monster, slice into chips, bit of sea salt, pepper, paprika, oil, into the oven at 200c for about 40 minutes (check after 35 though). Perfect everytime. But if you just want chunks, cut into small to medium chunks and again put it at 200c and same time. I have never had a problem with it myself.
Badger

To press a lot, you must press a lot. -Sheiko

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 10:27:20 AM »

I tend to microwave mine till they become a turgid soft lump in a dry skin with harder bits of petrified sweet potato where they have cooked unevenly.
SCOTTGALTON

Email
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 08:13:18 PM »

i have to say sweet spuds are one of the few carbs I like cold along with oats
grantmax89

Email
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 03:32:06 PM »

I peel mine, cut into small chunks, boil them for 5-6 mins to soften them up.
empty the water, small drizzle of oil and a sprinkle of pink salt.
throw in the oven (200oC) for 20mins - and they are just lovely - good for the next day too!

I find the smaller the chunk the better!
Monbeef

Author of The Tower Grave - available on Amazon!

Email
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 07:53:49 AM »

I actually just prefer potato. Smiley And it seems to do more for my physique too.

Again, small chunks, sea salt and a little oil. Oven, top shelf. Sometimes I put other stuff on. Herbs, garlic, dijon mustard prior to cooking. Other times I put more on after. Nandos sauce or salt and vinegar.

Sweet pot is best with garlic powder and smoked Paprika in my opinion. Plus sea salt and a little oil of course.

But neither need boiling first.
SCOTTGALTON

Email
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 01:26:41 PM »

I find both types of spuds digest really well with me, better than other carb sources.
ChopperTheDog

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 12:45:20 AM »

Hi guys

So I've started taking cold chicken and sweet potato (chunks) to work. I follow the instructions and stick them all in the oven, covered with kitchen foil for 20 minutes. They cook fine, but sometimes the middles are still a little hard.

I was hoping some of you guys have some tips to get soft, flavoursome potatoes? When I have whole sweet potatoes I normal stick in the microwave with a wet paper towel over the top which seems to soften it. Perhaps that's what I need to do once they've been cooked in the oven?

Any tips appreciated. Smiley
I cook my sweet potatoes like roast potatoes, pre boil for 5 mins then roll them around in a token bit of olive oil, sprinkle some celery salt over them and they are something special. I even love them cold in my lunch the next day, ah man I'm getting hungry thinking about them, I have been on restricted calories for the last couple of months though so I'm probably over enthusiastic. I'd highly recommend them though.

Cheers
Dan
ChopperTheDog

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 12:50:32 AM »

Sorry, still getting the hang of how to use the forum.

I cook my sweet potatoes like roast potatoes, pre boil for 5 mins then roll them around in a token bit of olive oil, sprinkle some celery salt over them and they are something special. I even love them cold in my lunch the next day, ah man I'm getting hungry thinking about them, I have been on restricted calories for the last couple of months though so I'm probably over enthusiastic. I'd highly recommend them though.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements