October 17, 2018, 07:16:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: training for deadlift  (Read 13868 times)
stealthy

Email
« on: April 06, 2012, 12:52:46 AM »

Hi guys, looking to compete at the end of the year in the deadlift single lift and currently doing 4 x 6 every week, but was just wondering, when not performing one rep max's etc so my sets of 6 for example, shall i use straps like ive done in the past? obviously i know they cant be used in comp, but in comp ill be performing 1reps so im thinking the straps wouldnt be detrimental for the rep sets or am i wrong?
jamie

http://www.youtube.com/user/jamiesmagictorch

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 12:48:37 PM »

I hate the saying do as i say not as i do mate, but i would bin the straps off. I tend to use them as i`ve a mental issue with over under since an injury last year but i would go without.
stealthy

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 06:43:00 PM »

cheers bro, ive been opting for liquid chalk and dont really miss the straps for deading, still been using the straps for other back exercises like rows etc but might stop using them too, although with all the other lifts my back gets fried off alo more with straps rather than my grip going before my back even gets a chance to get a pump! lol
Glen Danbury

fuelled by EQ nutrition

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 11:46:42 AM »

Reduce stress with regular exercise,
Reduce or limit refined carbohydrates and sugar intake,
Avoid caffeine and other stimulants, Limit dairy products and red meat....

welcome alvin

bit off topic no?
Rich mc

Ukdfba under 75kg champion

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 12:29:55 PM »

Haha not just me who was thinking that then.
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 11:31:30 AM »

Bumping this to see if anyone has any advices for me - I'm doing a deadlift only meet (BPU) Jan 26th. 7 weeks away.
Monbeef

Author of The Tower Grave - available on Amazon!

Email
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 06:14:45 PM »

Grip wise I would recommend never using them apart from when trying new rep ranges etc at a higher weight. Your grip does improve.
I don't like over/under either as it scares me. A slight bend in the elbow and it's good night bicep. Double over all the way. Unfortunately that takes away some of chalks support as it's still rolls, but gradually I've got my grip up to reps with 180 no probs with just fingers and no thumbs both overhand.

Personally, I always think thumbs weaken grip.

Nic, take a tip from Coan and from Turpin. Hammer lifts on supporting muscles - SLDL, good mornings, high pulls, power shrugs etc. And deadlift too of course.

Identify if you're a rounded thoracic easy puller, hard lockouter, or a hollow back hard puller easy lockouter!

Me and Glen struggle from the floor but lock out easy, Si and Jamie pull loads from the floor and struggle more with lockout. They ALL lift a lot more than me!
Mr Natural

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 02:50:47 PM »

Check out this video series

http://youtu.be/xS2wLZSdeDg
PJ

Email
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 06:58:25 PM »

hmm interesting reading about over / under and double over.. I've never deadlifted double over, always over / under (left hand over, right over). didn't realise it was putting bicep at risk.
SuperplexSteve

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 01:39:14 PM »

Interesting.  I've always used over / under as well and I alternate which hand goes over / under for different sets.  I suppose I should start working on double over to improve grip strength.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements