June 15, 2019, 09:33:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Outer Quads Question  (Read 3504 times)
Proff

« on: March 03, 2012, 10:47:23 PM »

Can you please tell me the best way to get outer quad development the quickest?
What I mean is,  if doing squats and leg press  - what should the foot position and leg position be?
Should the legs be very close together and the feet pointing 45 degrees out. I honestly don't have a clue.
Cheers
Proff
Monbeef

Author of The Tower Grave - available on Amazon!

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 11:05:40 PM »

Barbell hack squats, toes out, heels close!

Smiley
DDG reborn
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 09:20:29 AM »

Can you please tell me the best way to get outer quad development the quickest?
What I mean is,  if doing squats and leg press  - what should the foot position and leg position be?
Should the legs be very close together and the feet pointing 45 degrees out. I honestly don't have a clue.
Cheers
Proff

It's a moot point as to whether you can develop the 'outer quad' - vastus lateralis - more quickly than, or separate from the other three heads. When a muscle contracts, it contracts, essentially. The highway knowledge on the matter is as Mon describe, feet positioned closely together and toes slightly pointing out to allow for correct alignment on decent (otherwise you'll hurt your knees!). However, you have to bear in mind that quad development is essentially genetically predetermined insofar as muscle attachment sites, and the number of fibres in evidence in a particular area of the quadriceps, are inherently fixed. So the extent to which you can 'influence' development in the 'outer quad' is somewhat questionable. 
James Beadman

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 10:53:24 AM »

I know some people would disagree, but when training for more sweep in the quads i have my feet about 18inches apart and turn my toes inwards about 30 degrees from the vertical.
I only ever do this on leg press for safety reasons; but i have had really good results from this and can always feel it targeting the outer quad.
Try it light first just to see if you feel the difference.
Monbeef

Author of The Tower Grave - available on Amazon!

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 02:37:01 PM »

True Dean, and interesting thought James.

What you say Dean is true and I wonder what it is that effects areas. Studies have shown that the pec contracts the same whether it be flat or incline and so many feel you can't target the upper chest. Yet inclines seem to work. I personally feel that the reason incline presses work more of the upper chest is because they put the upper pec fibres through a greater ROM and a bigger stretch.

What do you think?
DDG reborn
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 05:48:32 PM »

True Dean, and interesting thought James.

What you say Dean is true and I wonder what it is that effects areas. Studies have shown that the pec contracts the same whether it be flat or incline and so many feel you can't target the upper chest. Yet inclines seem to work. I personally feel that the reason incline presses work more of the upper chest is because they put the upper pec fibres through a greater ROM and a bigger stretch.

What do you think?

I think a muscle either contracts or it doesn't. Maybe you raise a valid point regarding the range of movement on incline presses. It think the movements that work best for optimum stimulation are those where the force is applied more directly on the designated muscle group. This is why, certain types of movement are effective in stimulating growth because the force/tension applied to the muscle is more constant/effective - I'm thinking now, for example of non-lock reps on a leg press or squat machine. Maybe this is one reason why many of the current IFBB professionals use partial movements throughout their training regimes, though of course this is counter-intuitive to the opening point regarding range of motion!
katmillar

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 06:56:07 AM »

I've found that single-legged work gets great results in building the whole of the quads on my clients, including the outer quad. I definitely feel my vastus lateralis when I'm doing single leg squats and leg presses. I like James' idea for the leg position on the leg press. I find keeping the weight on the outside of my feet helps target outer quad too, especially doing things like bulgarian split squats (foot behind on a bench)
James Beadman

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 11:51:44 AM »

I've found that single-legged work gets great results in building the whole of the quads on my clients, including the outer quad. I definitely feel my vastus lateralis when I'm doing single leg squats and leg presses. I like James' idea for the leg position on the leg press. I find keeping the weight on the outside of my feet helps target outer quad too, especially doing things like bulgarian split squats (foot behind on a bench)
I never thought about using single leg exercises...
Thank you for the tip, definitely give a go next time.  Smiley
kev1

Email
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 08:36:02 PM »

i find it really hard targeting the out sweep, front squats, hacks, leg press or extensions and get told different things all the time toes in toes out
James Beadman

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »

Your biomechanics are completely unique Kev, so whilst toes in and feet close work great for my outer sweep that does not mean it will for you. Unfortunately you simply have to try EVERYTHING out there and see what gives you the best growth. That said your diet and rest must remain constant so to avoid having too many changes affecting you growth whilst you cycle the methods. I recommend three to five weeks testing each method, with a weeks break between each method. And work from there Smiley
kev1

Email
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 08:48:44 PM »

very true mate
Mikey89

Email
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 10:27:10 AM »

Iv had trouble growing my outter sweep and Iv found that what's works for me is hack squats heavy with a close stance feet pointed forward and drive from the heels.leg press with very deep reps and a hold at the top just before lock out on each rep and heavy as possible.i find front squats have really helped too because you can go narrow stance and not have to worry about balance issues.hope this helps mate
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements