August 20, 2019, 10:25:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Basic exercises just starting out...  (Read 1035 times)
Clever Trevor

Email
« on: July 29, 2012, 03:09:59 PM »

I have been looking into 5x5, three exercises three times a week alternating between
squats, bench press and dead lifts the first session,
squats, bent over rows and dead lifts the second session.

Starting with the bar for squats and bench, 20k rows and 60k squats just to keep the bar off the floor..
5k is added every single session until I max out and then deload to get the max reps then carry on back
up to the same weight if there is no further progression drop to 3x5.
I am saving for a bar and discs for the squats and dead lifts and will use them until I get to the stage where I need to use a rack.
In the mean time I am using an EZ bar for rows and bench press, with a few curls and military presses thrown in for good measure.
Getting some really good results, I am already starting to get some real good beginner gains, fast running out of discs and need to get some more soon to carry on progressing.
Anybody else had any success using this type of strength training?
Monbeef

Author of The Tower Grave - available on Amazon!

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 04:22:55 PM »

I know people doing that. I don't think there is any reason to start with the bar but if you're patient enough I don't see why not.
But you need an overhead press, you don't need to deadlift twice, and 5 sets with the same weight doesn't wash with me. The first sets will be so easy and you'll be too tired to make your last set your actual 5 rep weight. Or you could lift heavier but then you'll never make 5x5.

5x5 pyramids work.
Clever Trevor

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 05:11:08 PM »

I think the idea behind starting with an empty bar is to get used to training regularly, and make consistent gains. With starting out heavy I would max out quicker and it would give me less incentive to carry on. When I max out I will drop to 3x5....
Going to start drawing up my first 12 weeks training schedule, so there's no guess work involved....
Sorry also there's the matter of correct form for the lifts. I am hoping to get up to fairly big weights eventually and I want to get the form right so as not to injure myself... Grin Or less injuries at least....
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements