May 24, 2018, 01:32:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
 BULK POWDERS
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Super strong  (Read 18376 times)
DeanG
« on: July 30, 2012, 08:49:23 AM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19042645
Alex

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 10:46:36 AM »

NUTS
SuperSi

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 11:14:09 AM »

Wow! Shocked Shocked
Glen Danbury

fuelled by EQ nutrition

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 11:23:14 AM »

very impressive
Monbeef

Author of The Tower Grave - available on Amazon!

Email
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 05:56:54 PM »

I was watching these and they were amazing. Most notably, their quads.

How many people want good quads and don't have them? And how many people do Olympic lifts properly? (as in proper cleans, not power cleans). There is a hint there.

All top Olympic lifters have unbelievable quads. Front squats, overhead squats, snatches and cleans..quadtastic.

Let us all do Olympic lifts, for the love of all things iron.
DeanG
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 10:10:14 PM »

Now this is pretty impressive too: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19049154
tony_b

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 10:15:23 AM »

I was watching these and they were amazing. Most notably, their quads.

How many people want good quads and don't have them? And how many people do Olympic lifts properly? (as in proper cleans, not power cleans). There is a hint there.

All top Olympic lifters have unbelievable quads. Front squats, overhead squats, snatches and cleans..quadtastic.

Let us all do Olympic lifts, for the love of all things iron.

Mon, surelty there's a bit of chicken and egg in this though? They wouldn't be top flight Olympic lifters if they didn't have the genetics to develop top drawer musculature. Though strength is obviously heavily tied in with CNS, there are fundamental requirements for there to be plenty of good tissue there too.

Someone who only ever had the ability to grow crap legs would never end up as an Olympic lifter of much merit.

That said, I do agree that the type of training they perform will be of great benefit to all lifters, even if they don't get the same end result.

Will watch the vid on my lunch  Cheesy
tony_b

Email
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 11:13:52 AM »

Ah, only short vids!! Wowsers - looks like being teeny doesn't mean you can't lift big!! Very, very, very impressive.

Given I don't intentionally train for strength, it makes me feel exceptionally weak for my size...
Monbeef

Email
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 01:00:32 AM »

What it means Tony is there's more to quads than back squats back squats back squats!

Their quads are so impressive even for them and in comparison to their other muscle groups. Not just genetics.

Front squats, overhead squats, cleans and snatches.
tony_b

Email
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 05:05:42 PM »

I'm still not sure the chicken/egg situation is clarified though...?
Monbeef

Email
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 08:54:35 AM »

It's both. Genetics of course, but also the training. They all have different body types but one thing they all seem to have in common is the quads.
tony_b

Email
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 09:09:53 AM »

Which brings me back to my point - they're all at the top of their field because of their ability to grow awesome quads, as they are so essential for the sport. Those who can't develop good quads don't do as well, so aren't up there.

Look at guys like Andy M - his legs are awesome. There are probably 50 different ways he could train his legs and they'd still always end up awesome (even post tears with scarce a 'tickling' they were looking spot on when I last saw a pic)

Then look at mine - they're not so awesome. There is probably 1 or 2 ways that I can train them to make them their 'best', which ways I unfortunately do not really know right now - I do know they are responding to squats a lot better than they ever responded to pressing, which is probably a given, lmao!!

It's obviously hard to apply this to olympic lifters, as I do not know where they started, but the training tips that matter to me are the ones where someone with a previously poor bodypart has found what was required to make it a good bodypart. Looking at guys at the top of sporting fields doesn't bring a good parallel to 'reality' when it comes to genetics/exercise importance IMO.
Monbeef

Email
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 07:51:35 AM »

No I agree there. No point asking someone with naturally amazing delts how he trains them, but if his pecs were rubbish and are now amazing then he knows how to make them grow.

However, some of them have amazing triceps, some don't. Some delts, not others. Both delts and tris are used in their sport, but the lifts they do in the way they do are not necessarily the best for making those muscles amazing. The ones who are genetically gifted those parts have big ones.

But the quads? They ALL have big quads. There is no way on earth everyone of them are gifted for big quads, after all they're all different. It's not necessary to have big quad genes to have explosive cleans and jerks or the flexibility for snatches. BUT in order to do those lifts, they must do certain full range exercises which ar primarily quad based. That is not the case for their jerks which are concentric only and via momentum. Catching a proper clean in a full depth front squat is about as quad intensive as you get.

Genetics show in the differences of the other bodyparts. The quads are consistent. The only other thing that's consistent is the exercise type. And there lies the answer!

Front squats for quads.
tony_b

Email
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 08:41:18 AM »

They ALL have big quads. There is no way on earth everyone of them are gifted for big quads, after all they're all different.

They're not all gifted with big quads, that's the point. The 99.9999% of weightlifters who don't make it to the olympics can have quads of quite varying size. But for those who do make it, the likelihood that they have small quads is tiny - not just because that type of training gets size results, but because that size of quads gets competition results.

If you look at the gymnasts upper bodys, they all show exceptional development in the entire of their upper half - chest, shoulders, bis, tris, back (to a lesser extent maybe) - majority of their training is bodyweight explosive stuff, done lots. Is this the ideal way to train an upper body for size, for everyone? Nope. Do all gymnast have this awesome balanced musculature - nope, but once again, the one you see in the olympics require it, so have it.

Gonna have to agree to disagree on this, as we'll just go in circle ad infinitum! I do get what you're saying that there are many ways to skin a cat, I just think it is fundamentally impossible to make statements of fact based on observations of those at the pinnacle of a sport - they are by definition 'pre-filtered' for being able to respond awesomely to training.
Monbeef

Email
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 10:09:31 PM »

Yeah they are.

Ok then, you often say you're working on bringing up your legs. I've done plenty of Olympic lifting and have felt and seen what it does to quads - elite lifters aside. I'm not an elute lifter, but I've felt the quad pain from it which is often different and deeper than other quad pain. When you haven't got a comp pending and its not a bad time to.experiment, why don't you try a period of Oly lifts and their supporting exercises and see what its does for you? I preach it because I've felt it. I use the Olympic lifters on tv as another tool of persuasion.

And besides, who in the world doesn't think front squats are amazing for quad development?!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements