May 24, 2019, 10:50:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Super strong  (Read 22246 times)
Glen Danbury

fuelled by EQ nutrition

WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 09:29:43 AM »

tony look at it the other way - those who make the olympics are ones with big quads - why because the olympic lifts work the quads so hard so those who have good quads tend to flourish in this exercise, yet simlarly those who havent got good quads will find the exercise workign that area hard even if they get a lesser response
tony_b

Email
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 12:10:37 PM »

Will say it again:

Gonna have to agree to disagree on this, as we'll just go in circle ad infinitum! I do get what you're saying that there are many ways to skin a cat, I just think it is fundamentally impossible to make statements of fact based on observations of those at the pinnacle of a sport - they are by definition 'pre-filtered' for being able to respond awesomely to training.

Are fronties great for quads - yes, of course they are. Are other excercises great for quads - yes, plenty are.

Can you look at what the top 0.00001% of the sport are doing and use them as a baseline for the rest of us mortals? No, of course you can't.

As for Oly training, yeah, throw some my way - good for bringing up imbalances, which I still have time to do just about. I'm not precious about how I train, so long as it isn't a crazy complicated system i'll give it a crack  Cheesy
Monbeef

Author of The Tower Grave - available on Amazon!

Email
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 12:15:59 AM »

Glen's right. The lifts have great effect on the quads. No one disagreed with what you said, Tony. More that you didn't accept the point. That training is great for quads. It is. They have great quads. Not damning, maybe circumstantial, but fact. They do, and the training is. Case closed.

Does that mean they only have good quads because they do it? No. Does it mean they have big quads and they do do it? Yes. Does that mean that those who don't do it should give it a go? If they can then yes.

Glad you are going to. I'm sure you'll like it. It's something else to achieve and another type of strength and fitness to gain.
Glen Danbury

fuelled by EQ nutrition

WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 08:28:50 AM »

there a few youtube clips where alot of the lifters who are snathcing 140-150kg are back squatting 280+ so obviously they do standard exercises as well which will bring up the quads however if you look at the difference between back and front squats the difference in loading either the hips or the quads is dependent upon where the weight is and how this affects how uprigght the body is

the more upright the longer the lever arm for the quads and the shorter for the hips - you cant complete a snatch or a clean bent over forward which explains why those squatting variations work the quads so hard. However for the average gym goer the complexity of the snatch and clean (full not power) are so great the weight will be tiny compared to what they can front squat - as such for the average gym goer a front squat will yield faster quad stimulus IMO
Monbeef

Email
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 08:58:16 AM »

I agree. So what I was trying to say was not that only cleans and snatches built the quads, but the exercises they do to be good at them - front squats, overhead squats etc. Coupled with hang cleans and hang snatches, the load on the quads is practically constant and gives good lower back and trap work too.

I seem to remember you saying you do fronties with an Oly grip? I'm really struggling with it to get and keep my elbows high enough so that I don't bend forwards at the bottom. I'd be happy with a bodybuilder cross grip, but you need a rack for that and I rarely have one. I suppose Smiths are pretty good for fronts though. Maybe more so than for back.
tony_b

Email
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 10:50:26 AM »

More that you didn't accept the point. That training is great for quads.

Are fronties great for quads - yes, of course they are. Are other excercises great for quads - yes, plenty are.

Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

TBH I'm not even sure at this stage we're particularly in different camps, we're more at a semantics issue!!!
Monbeef

Email
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 11:20:12 PM »

Yeah you're right! I think we all agree! Lol.

By the time I've written a post on my phone I've forgotten what I'm replying too!

Hope you like the Oly lifting when you get a chance to give it a whirl. If nothing else you'll get good traps!
andymac88

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 06:17:07 PM »

monbeef how cud you make a routine with olympic lift if i train 1body part per week, would this be a routine or not chest, bak - deadlift, shoulders clean n press or clean n jerk,armsm legs - squat front bak ?
Monbeef

Email
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 01:48:10 PM »

It depends how you pair your bodyparts. If you pair shoulders with back then power cleans fit really nicely in. If you wanted to do snatches then pairing quads with shoulders really works, ie...

Day 1 - quads and delts - squats, overhead squats, snatches, military press, laterals.
Day 2 - back, traps and hams - deadlifts, pull ups, rows, hang cleans or high pulls and leg curls.
Day 3 - chest and arms.

Or...

Day 1 - back and delts - power clean and press, pull ups, rows, deadlifts.
Day 2 - chest and arms.
Day 3 - legs.

They're options. But work out what suits you. Obviously key moves are - power clean, full clean, snatch, hang snatch, hang clean, upright row, high pull, power shrug, deadlift, front squats, overhead squats, normal squats, military press, jerks, push press. If you find a way to fit an arrangement of them in then it will work out. Some are quad, some back, some delt based. Some hit them all.
andymac88

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 08:15:42 PM »

Cheers for the reply,
Monday chest
Tuesday back dead lifts
Wednesday shoulders clean & press- would u do these like when u snatch the bar would u go into a front squat kinda postion? military press
Thursda arms
Friday legs front squats, back squats, a did my legs this mo was a bit tired after me 15hr night shift, decided to do hams first which made the session interesting, what do U think of the split?
Monbeef

Email
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2012, 10:37:10 PM »

If it works for you then its fine. People always search for the best sounding split or the best science. But in truth if its not convenient its no good no matter how special. If its convenient so you can be progressive relentlessly and consistently, then it'll work.

Re cleans, if you can front squat like that, and use your hips, the jump, the catch and the squat then do it. Otherwise consider power cleans which are a little more trap and delt related and less quad related.

Don't underestimate high pulls and power shrugs either. Big traps and strength with those two.
andymac88

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2012, 11:14:37 AM »

Cheers fella I think ill try the power cleans, also last week I did then high cable pulls awsome for rear delt n traps a thought
Monbeef

Email
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2012, 07:22:51 PM »

I meant like half a power clean. Go from the floor or from racks at knee height, pull bar hard with first half like a deadlift then the next half like a big upright row using the momentum from the drive. Then return back down and use heavy weight.
Power shrugs are the same from knee height but end in shrug and back down rather than an upright row.
andymac88

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 10:42:37 AM »

Sound mate I've got trying the power clean not the best at it like but hoping to get there struggled to get me elbows up high to take pressure off me wrists bt using a hook grip I'm improving
Damon Eaton

Damon "The Truth" Eaton. Free Agent.

Email
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2012, 06:04:44 PM »

I think the reason oly lifters have such huge quads is the fact they are squatting 3+ times a week regardless of squat variation training this way will blast the quads.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements