August 15, 2018, 12:09:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Who competes with who?  (Read 11973 times)
fhwill

Email
« on: August 15, 2012, 09:35:52 AM »

In Powerlifting, just wondering, who competes with what federation and what have your experiences been, there seem to be quite a few around?  Huh
jamie

http://www.youtube.com/user/jamiesmagictorch

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 09:56:53 AM »

I`ve done BDFPA and comps are generally well run.
ildibear
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 11:30:49 AM »

So what else is out there? The BDFPA seems quite strict about which qualifiers you can do and it appears (to my not yet done all my homework self) that there aren't that many qualifiers to go around at all.
Col

BDFPA u90kg British Champion 2013

Email
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 11:34:39 AM »

Like Jamie I've been lifting with the BDFPA since 2004. The comps I've attended have generally been well run and I certainly have no intention of leaving and joining anothet fed.

Aswell as the BDFPA there is the GBPF which is another drug free fed. I've not lifted with them but know plenty who have and it sounds pretty much the same as the BDFPA in that the comps are well run.
The GBPF have recently changed the weight cats in line with the IPF which for me would mean lifting in the U93 cat as opposed to the BDDPA's U90kg.

Paul Rees aka thrower is associated with both feds running comps for both so he would be an ideal person to enquire with.

There are other feds out there but these two are in my opinion the only truly natural ones
Glen Danbury

fuelled by EQ nutrition

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 11:54:04 AM »

I've just become the area rep for east midlands with BDFPA and hope to get a qualifier later this year organised.

competed with bdfpa and wdfpa and been happy so far but don't have experience elsewhere
thrower

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 01:07:41 PM »

I became a member of BAWLA in around 1960 when it first became a limited company ,if my memory serves me correctly.Weightlifting and Track and Field were my personal focus then but, l was interested in the Strength Set too.I mention this because BAWLA Was the only Federation for strength sports at that time.Everything fell apart in the eighties when the effect of lifters using steriods left the competition arena a mess,in my opinion (unfair ,unethical,unhealthy,uneven-choose a reason).The pre runner to the BDFPA  was formed by lifters who were frankly fed up with the unfairness etc they perceived competing in BAWLA.(Any testing was seen to be dubious at that time by them).
Soon after someother lifters broke away from BAWLA for what appeared to me to be the opposite reason.The do not appear to me to have any anti doping ethos ,nor did they test.However!!All feds have members and management that appear committed to powerlifting.
The BDFPA AND  BWLA(now GBPF) have a drugs free ethos and test.Their rules of competition are very similar but not exactly the same.!
The BDFPA AND GBPF ARE GREAT PEOPLE TO BE WITH.I am sure the non tested feds members are as well.!!
ALL Organisers(ALL FEDS) try their very best to organise and run competitions to the highest standard possible(can be a thankless task but is usually really forfilling in my experience).
The BPC RUNS MANY WELL ORGANISED events and has introduced several new ideas on presentation and on the interpretation of the orginal IPF rules.
However l think the best "drugs free"LEVEL PLAYING FIELD is the BDFPA.The GBPF IS GOOD but l fear some of the OTHER countries in the IPF are not operating a "drugs free"level playing field. EQUIPPED lifting in the GBPF is the better standard.  Unequipped ,the standard is similar.The BPC offers many opportunities  including those for anyone who does not wish to be tested or follow a published Drugs Free policy.I feel that it cannot offer a "drugs free" level playing field without testing and making it part of its ethos.There are in my opinion plenty of lifters who choose to lift in the BPC and BPO who do not use WADA banned doping substances.They choose the fed for other reasons and thats their choice.Fair play.
Those that choose BPC lift with my blessing "for what its worth" because they do not "cheat anyone in any other fed".I CHOOSE and so do my lifters BDFPA and GBPF because of Drug Testing and their anti doping stance.We want a level drugs free (or as near as possible)
competition.
Sorry to drag this out but its to easy to just see "good guy -bad guy" fed out there. Lifters are fun ,lively ,ego driven but very KEEN TO HELP OTHERS whatever their FED.Make your choice and l am sure you will love lifting in the Strength community where ever  you go for whatever reason.
                                                                          Regards,
                                                                             Paul
                                                                              paulrees@bournemouthbarbell.co.uk
fhwill

Email
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 12:10:24 PM »

Thanks for the info guys  Smiley It's good to hear your own experiences.

I'm going to a British Barbell club meet on Saturday to go get some help with my lifting.

Do both charge competition entry fees? It looks like the GBPF have more meets, but the entry fees for some are 18 and I suspect more for others...

Also, are there any rules on competing with more than one federation? A friend who competes in the BPC warned me not to compete with them if I wanted to do drug-free too because the feds don't like it... True or myth?  Huh
jamie

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 12:43:38 PM »

The fees are the main reason I haven`t done powerlifting last few years, qualifiers and memembership are usually straight after xmas at 30ish for membership and 15 entry fee its a lot that time of year then if you qualify for the they are 30+ and then there's petrol on top of that so it soon adds up, when I can do a strongman comp for a tenner and usually get a t shirt and a bunch of freebies.
Glen Danbury

fuelled by EQ nutrition

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 12:52:40 PM »

yeah it does get quite pricey - althought theres less expense than BB shows as no tan etc etc the fees are quite high - yearly fee, then quite high competition fees - between travel and entrance fees I would put my costs at 1K last year!!!!
Monbeef

Author of The Tower Grave - available on Amazon!

Email
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 06:14:36 PM »

A grand?! Jesus!

Thanks for the explanation thrower, that's made a lot clear.
Glen Danbury

fuelled by EQ nutrition

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 06:52:33 PM »

that was competing abroad though Mon. hopefully next year will drive to antwerp if I qualify so not nearly as pricey Smiley
Monbeef

Author of The Tower Grave - available on Amazon!

Email
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 08:14:24 PM »

Oh right. Phew!

Judo requires a bit of travel too. I'm heading to Belfast next year for the world police and fire games, and I'd like to fight in mainland Europe too.
2014 will feature some good higher level comps around UK and Europe hopefully.

I'd still love to do an unequipped bench comp though.
ildibear
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 01:55:04 PM »

Showing up for a single lift Mon? Now that's not value for money. You should look at cost per lift Wink funnily enough, I bench over the British record for my age and weight cat with a lot of work to be done on the remaining lifts but I wouldn't travel for one lift, ha-ha.
Glen Danbury

fuelled by EQ nutrition

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 02:03:49 PM »

im probably going to qualify full power but only do single lift at finals and international - to make it worth a trip going to do both raw and equipped hopefully Smiley
jamie

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 05:14:50 PM »

Do u need to lift both raw and equipped at the qualifier mate?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements