May 21, 2019, 10:12:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88
  Print  
Author Topic: Turpins Log  (Read 299825 times)
Turpin

« Reply #1290 on: September 23, 2016, 11:19:13 AM »

Thanks T, through a fellow Iron buddy I have acquired a set. I'm returning to my home gym after using a commercial gym for the last few years and super excited to get back in my cave!

I'm considering a glute ham raise, however space is very limited, do you have any suggestions?
Also, any thoughts on a Safety Squat bar?

Great stuff mate.   I have the strengthshop compact GHR model , it is a great bit of kit for a small home gym set up and when not in use it stores upright against my gym wall ( I removed the plate holder that attached to the rear as a counter balance as its not really needed ) . Check their web site as sometimes they have offers. 

Here's a video of both the compact GHR and the deadlift deadeners in use.

Video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nJ7AdTgDcs

T.
Turpin

« Reply #1291 on: September 26, 2016, 05:32:20 PM »

26/09/16  Lower body ( quad dominant )

Front squat : worked up to 6 working sets x 2 reps @140kg

Heels raised Hack squats : 5 sets x 10 reps

Donkey calf raise : 5 sets x 25 reps

Dumbbell side bends : 5 sets x 10 reps per side

B`fast : 3 eggs scrambled in butter , 1 toast , coffee.

Lunch : Salmon fillet , spinach salad with cider vinegar and mayo dressing.

Evening meal : 8 oz rib eye steak ( fried in butter ) , spinach and fried tomato.  ( 2 glasses of red wine )

T.

K_Dogs

DOMS makes you feel alive....

« Reply #1292 on: September 27, 2016, 10:09:05 AM »

I'll definitely keep an eye out for one of those GHR's - thanks.
Turpin

« Reply #1293 on: October 01, 2016, 10:25:29 AM »

29/09/2016

GHR`s : bodyweight 5 sets x 10 reps

Deadlift ( conventional ) : 3 working sets 240kg x 1 , 260kg x 1 , 280kg x 1
My last pull saw me out of position where my hips rose too quick resulting in rounding on the `pull in` which realised my left pec ( that of the underhand grip side ) spasm badly , the spasm was such that I daren't hold the lift in the top position. It may sound stupid BUT I was content afterward ( after checking my pec was still whole and my left bicep still intact ) that now I have felt this kind of weight once again I could / would achieve this lift in competition again , even after all my injuries past and present and at age 50yrs.
video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9PSLBEtCuI

Seated calf raise : 5 sets x 20 reps

Toes to bar leg raise : 5 sets x 10 reps

Its now 48hrs since the lift and my pec is still very tender with some slight bruising indicative of a small tear. I had a tear on this pec previously many years back ( hence my bench was always lagging ... well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it LOL ) and I guess the area had a degree of susceptibility . I am/was always conscious of the appearance of my left pec as when under any degree of flexion the tear and subsequent difference in appearance from the other pec becomes apparent ( another reason I shy away from physique comp. .. see pic below ) ... but hey , it is what it is .

I am using all the usual modalities to promote healing in hope that I can get back to full training again ASAP ( ice , massage , NSAID`s and a sports therapist visit scheduled ) . I'm in the gym tomorrow and will devise a training regime with what I CAN do and avoid that which aggravates . 

T.
ben-howard

WNBF Pro

Email
« Reply #1294 on: October 01, 2016, 12:02:54 PM »

Glad it's just a minor injury mate hope it heals quickly and feels good Togo again soon, but mate that's so impressive!
SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR 5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #1295 on: October 01, 2016, 05:28:59 PM »

glad you got away without and injury mate
Turpin

« Reply #1296 on: October 02, 2016, 02:14:38 PM »

Cheers guys , went in the gym today and had a mess around , lots of stretching and light/moderate weights to see what I could perform in the interim until things settle. Still a little tender BUT I am satisfied that I can formulate a decent session whilst recuperating .

T.
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #1297 on: October 03, 2016, 08:30:48 AM »

Only daft chaps like us understand the odd situation of probably buggering ourselves, getting and injury but still feeling content if it was a big lift. My first 200kg deadlift really pulled my lower back and I could hardly stand up or walk after due to its awful rounding and yanking, but all I was thinking was "200kg done, sweet!"
Turpin

« Reply #1298 on: October 03, 2016, 01:53:01 PM »

Only daft chaps like us understand the odd situation of probably buggering ourselves, getting and injury but still feeling content if it was a big lift. My first 200kg deadlift really pulled my lower back and I could hardly stand up or walk after due to its awful rounding and yanking, but all I was thinking was "200kg done, sweet!"

Crazy innit .... when you allow a `goal` to consume and override your rational thought process and the reward is put before the potential risks , BUT thats what comes from being passionate about something and lets face it no one achieves success at the higher levels without this kind of thinking.
  In the cold light of day though when rational thinking resumes and the risk to reward is revisited in light of an injury incurred you realise you have perhaps set yourself back more than you have taken a step forward.
  That said my training has been quite meticulous ( despite suffering from some set backs ) and altho the last week may have set me back some , I am content that my programming ( or perhaps tenacity ) was such that I achieved my objective of being back at the kind of level I had hoped. Whether I will be in a position to compete soon is something I will have to evaluate with recovery , but there will always be another meet , another day . Either way I am content and optimistic moving forward.

T.
lou t

American Record 386lbs. Master 3a 73kg April 2016

Email
« Reply #1299 on: October 03, 2016, 09:13:24 PM »

that's a huge dl dude in spite of the form issues you had. It went up pretty damn fast too
Turpin

« Reply #1300 on: October 03, 2016, 09:28:48 PM »

that's a huge dl dude in spite of the form issues you had. It went up pretty damn fast too

Cheers Lou , the deadlift has always been a good lift for me , although its been 23yrs since I last handled this weight on a straight bar I was just pleased ( ecstatic ) to at least be back here again. I`ll recover and move forward  Smiley

T.
Turpin

« Reply #1301 on: October 06, 2016, 04:33:35 PM »

06/10/16

Trained upper body today BUT had to reduce the volume and intensity to a level that was comfortable with my injuries . My back has been in spasm and producing sciatica thru the night on/off since introducing the straight bar on my deadlifts and my left pec is still tender and sore giving referred pain into the bicep. I am seeing a therapist tomorrow and am using every modality I can to aid recovery when out of the gym.

OHP / Pullups : 3 cycles x 3 & 10 reps respectively ( these felt O.K once fully warmed up and the stretch on the pullup was nice )

FAT Bar floor press / bi lateral DB Rows : 3 cycles x 10 reps ( the floor press felt good as there is no pre-stretch to affect the pec adversely and the weight was light enough to feel the working musculature but not aggravate )

Tricep pushdown / EZ Curls : 3 cycles x 10 reps ( as the pec was now warm and slightly pumped both these felt O.K )

Post workout the pec and low back were iced then under a warm shower ( hot/cold .. promoting increased circulation in the affected areas ) . Tonight I will have a hot Epsom salts bath , further ice to the pec and NSAID`s ... oh and a few medicinal red wines Wink

T. 

Turpin

« Reply #1302 on: October 15, 2016, 10:46:21 AM »

14/10/2016

Pec still tender and low back/hip still feeling out of kink but still working around these issues . Tonight I tried deadlifting for the first time since injuring it last month , I went with the trap bar as the slightly wider parallel grip tends to allow me to keep the scapulae retracted more thus the pec involvement/contraction at conclusion of the lift is much less than with a straight bar which realises the scapulae being pulled into a forward/winged position at conclusion which contracts the pecs hard ( which caused my issue some weeks back ).

GHR`s : enough sets ( around 5 or 6 ) x 10reps to get the glutes , hips , low back , hams and calves working .

Trap bar deadlift : Worked up to 220kg x 3 ( 3 sets ) .. I was cautious and felt my way to my top sets . Pec was okay ( a little pulled ) at this weight and low back / hips were good after warm up. Will assess the areas a day or so post workout.

Seated calf raise : 4 sets x 25 reps

Toes to bar leg raise : 4 sets x 10 reps 

GHR`s ( warm ups ) and trap bar working set video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2VRqiaVqtc

Been keeping my diet consistent over these weeks in order to ensure adequate protein and fat intake as well as keeping my weight level as I am now employing less intensity in my training.

weight presently sitting at 74kg.

B`fast : 3 eggs scrambled in butter , 1 toast , coffee & supps.

Lunch : Can of salmon , spinach salad .

Evening meal : rib eye steak , greens . glass of wine.

Supper : cottage cheese , walnuts & blueberries.

NB: I have been using Animal packs over the past week or so in order to ensure I am getting all my vits/min necessary for recovery ... Ive been pissing bright yellow for days even with 3-4 litres of water .

T.

SuperSi

Email
« Reply #1303 on: November 22, 2016, 05:23:00 PM »

Good progress, T. Always difficult to balance out lighting, but you certainly look to be denser. The year of deadlifting is paying off!

How are you feeling with regard to competition?
Turpin

« Reply #1304 on: November 22, 2016, 06:01:08 PM »

Good progress, T. Always difficult to balance out lighting, but you certainly look to be denser. The year of deadlifting is paying off!

How are you feeling with regard to competition?

Cheers Si , after the disappointment of missing out in Novembers meet I was kinda deflated mentally and TBH a little pissed at getting messed around by the show organiser only weeks before ( long story .. but I wouldn't entertain entering / lifting in that comp again as a result of her manner ) .  For the time being I am just happy to be back lifting without impediment from the injury and will look to going beyond Christmas before making any plans.

T.

Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements