March 26, 2019, 01:47:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What colour bikini for pre judge?
Black velvety material - 9 (37.5%)
Bright pink matt lycra - 8 (33.3%)
Bright blue slightly shiny lycra - 7 (29.2%)
Total Voters: 23

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 164
  Print  
Author Topic: Nic's journal: onwards to 2017  (Read 377786 times)
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« on: January 12, 2013, 06:55:28 PM »

Hi! I thought I'd start a journal. It always seems a pity that more female competitors don't journal here, so hopefully I can "represent" although of course everyone's experience is different.

I'm starting today because I've just hooked up with my new coach and just today received my diet and training plans.

I'll add to this as time goes on as I don't have much time online now but here's the story so far:

I come from an endurance sport background: swum the English Channel in 2004 and 2008 (and round Jersey in 2006), spend a few years doing triathlon at amateur level (from Sprint to 1/2 Ironman distance) and also did a lot of running (including the predictable marathons, always middle-of-the-pack) and distance cycling/sportives.

In 2010 I worked with a PT/coach (Kat Millar) via online training to do a bit of body recomp as I was sure that what was "underneath" was pretty balanced and symmetrical, and had always loved the little amount of weight training I'd been able to work in to my endurance training. I was also at that stage getting more interested in nutrition and its role in body recomp (as opposed to its role in enabling me to run/bike/swim for hours and hours at a time!)

8 weeks later and we had a much leaner (although somewhat scraggy) version of me and Kat (a Figure competitor) suggested I would do well on stage. I had no idea what she was referring to but after a bit of research thought it sounded a great challenge. I started training for Figure, then got leaner and leaner and Kat (and Annie Uelese who kindly helped me a great deal with posing/bikinis and a lot more) suggested I'd be better off in Physique. Suited me fine as the thought of walking in those heels was already giving me the heeby-jeebies  Wink

My 2011 season was great - won my BNBF and NPA qualifiers and got BP at both, too.  Shocked Placed 2nd at BNBF Final (runner up to the Pro Card winner  Shocked ) but frankly was more than a little burned out (mentally as well as physically) by the NPA Final and placed 3rd (of 4!) Still very very pleased and overwhelmed at my debut season!

Had no plan whatsoever for off-season and put on too much weight, and had a few other issues which made off-season perhaps not as balanced and sane as it should have been. I trained extremely hard though, and at times had some great guidance and support, and put on a good amount of muscle.

I then went through a separation and divorce, complete with house sale, relocation and all the emotional/financial upheaval you can imagine (or hopefully you can't!)

I decided to continue with my plans of competing despite a lot of instability in personal life, home life and with training and prep support too. In hindsight I've no idea if it was a good idea but it really doesn't matter, it is what it is.

2012 I did NPA and UKDFBA. Came 2nd at my qualifier (to the same girl I'd came 2nd to at BNBF Final the year before -   Angry Tongue Wink) and then a disappointing dead last at the Final. Between those two comps, a dreadful showing at UKDFBA, I really shouldn't have done that show as it was in the middle of the blackest time with my divorce and quite honestly I can't even really remember the weeks leading up to it!

So that brings us up to now - once again I have put on too much weight over Christmas etc but not as much as last year and I feel in a much better place, physically and emotionally. I feel very excited about where I am in terms of a foundation for my 2013.

I have just started working with Vicky Bradley for diet/nutrition and training and am really excited about our plans! I feel the same energy and support from her as I did from Kat in 2010/2011 and believe me this is a wonderful thing! I trust her and believe in her completely and feel motivated to follow a plan 100%, for the first time in a while.

Well, that was long.  Lips sealed
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 06:57:53 PM »

PS Feel free to ask anything but if it's about babies, lipgloss or handbags I can't promise to know the answer  Wink
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 08:11:46 PM »

Will look forward to this Nic. Be great to see how you work. And 2012, least we had a little bit of fun along the way.

Grin
vodkafan

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 08:30:56 PM »

Good luck Nic  for 2013. I am sure you will bounce back and do something good this year. And you didn't let yourself down last year, you displayed great sportswomanship on stage .

Ah don't worry I get my handbag advice from Toby.  Grin
Turpin

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 10:00:58 PM »

I`ll look forward to following your journal Nic .

T.
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 09:41:05 AM »

Hi Nic. I look forward to seeing a journal from a 'Birds' ( Tongue) point of view, and its a dimension of the sport I would like to be more knowlegable on. All in all, I think you did well considdering the year you had. Onward and upward from now on.  Smiley
Looking forward to watching some shows and friends compete this year, from the safe side of the stage.
 Cool
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 10:10:31 AM »

Will look forward to this Nic. Be great to see how you work. And 2012, least we had a little bit of fun along the way.

Grin

thanks my friend. And yes we sure did. Don't get me wrong, last year was crazy but I always try to see everything for the positives and I've certainly learned a lot - about myself and others - and have come out the other side much happier and stronger. Plus I live by the SEA now!  Cheesy
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 10:12:14 AM »

Good luck Nic  for 2013. I am sure you will bounce back and do something good this year. And you didn't let yourself down last year, you displayed great sportswomanship on stage .

Ah don't worry I get my handbag advice from Toby.  Grin

Thank you very much, I appreciate that. Next time you see me on stage I promise you'll be  Shocked Grin Cool

Yep I bounce back pretty easily!
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 10:12:39 AM »

I`ll look forward to following your journal Nic .

T.

Thank you Turnip; likewise  Smiley
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 10:16:35 AM »

Hi Nic. I look forward to seeing a journal from a 'Birds' ( Tongue) point of view, and its a dimension of the sport I would like to be more knowlegable on. All in all, I think you did well considdering the year you had. Onward and upward from now on.  Smiley
Looking forward to watching some shows and friends compete this year, from the safe side of the stage.
 Cool

Cheers Matt! I'm not sure how differently we/I do things to be honest but I suppose there must be differences. But I don't know if they're to do with me being female, or me being smaller/lighter - we shall we I guess!
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 04:39:43 PM »

So I guess today is the first day on my new plan/s from Vicky. I spoke to her ages ago (actually we spoke a couple of times on the phone and via emails) and then went to see her last Tuesday for a lengthy consult. We chatted lots about my goals, what my challenges have been, and more about the psychological and emotional side of things than the physical. She took all my stats, crunched the numbers and worked out a very doable plan, both for getting into decent and maintainable off-season shape, and for competing.

Happily, I've always journalled, either for Kat or for myself, so every detail of my previous preps is there in writing - not just training and diet, either, all the emotional stuff. So poor Vicky had a joyful time reading through my crazy diaries  Roll Eyes but of course that sort of stuff is gold - means she can put together plans for me based on a real understand of me - body and mind.

Like any good coach, she's asked permission to challenge me - not just with training, but in unexpected ways. No cardio. I have to eat the things I've been previously avoiding (for fear of bingeing/not being able to exercise portion control). I have to eat in the morning, whether I feel like it or not. I'm eating to a plan for the first time in ages and it's very structured (in terms of timings/frequency) which is what I've been lacking, but probably exactly what I need.

It doesn't feel right to give the precise details of my diet and training here, since it's been done by Vicky and that's how she makes her money. I don't know - what do you guys think? I'll ask her and if she's OK with it then I'll post any specific details you want.
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 04:54:33 PM »

Sunday 13th Jan

1) whey shake
Dog walk (45 minutes or so, relatively fast)
2) egg, egg whites, fats

TRAINING

3) whey and fruit
4) oily fish, sweet pot, veg
5) chicken, green veg
6) cottage cheese, linwoods flax stuff
Dog walk
7) fish and salad/vegetables
8 ) egg whites and almond butter

My macros (not including green veggies, salad and any colourful but non-starchy veggies in moderation)
1450 calories, 180g p, 48g f, 60g c

Training today was chest and tris
Rope/cable obliques
Flat bench (4 working sets - 6-8 reps)
Incline db press 3 working sets 8-10 reps
Bench dips 3 sets
DB french press 3 working sets
Cable rope tricep push downs

MUCH less volume than I'm used to and much lower reps but for good reason! I was in the gym about 40 mins total which was lovely, but worked hard - triceps sore before I left and chest started to get sore a few hours later.

My bench is lame! Would love to get my weights up on this. I don't have a training partner/spotter and am not sure if this affects my progress?

Rest of the day spend chilling (literally - my house is freezing at the mo). Went for coffee with my sister and her family, just had a black coffee whilst they had hot chocolates, lattes and mini cinnamon rolls/pastry things (<--- one of my favourites in the realm of baked goods!) I love that I can go out with friends and family and they all know now not to try & get me to order anything to eat, they know I'll have black coffee/espresso/tea... and they're all fine with it. That support really does mean a lot. I don't mind people questioning my choices but judging (and trying to get me to change my mind) is another thing altogether!

Cleared my cupboard of anything which might tempt me off the plan (although, being single, I don't have much "off plan" in anyway). Gave a bag of potatoes to my sister (sweet potatoes only on the diet plan for now, and it takes me a while to get through a grocery shop!) My nephew said "Bebe what have you got in your big handbag?" and when I took out a 500g bag of baby new potatoes no-one batted an eyelid.

OMG I GOT A HANDBAG REFERENCE IN! This is now a bona fide WOMAN'S JOURNAL!  Tongue

Another dog walk later (two long walks a day is my only cardio for now) and then voluntary work shift.

Rest day (apart from walks) tomorrow. Diet the same (although some of the meals have a few options to choose from - my protein and veg choices are up to me mostly) apart from no PWO whey & fruit.
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 05:48:54 PM »

Seemed more fat as I was reading the actual food choices so surprised to see them at 48g. Low carbs too. Is this due a feeling of being a bit carb intolerant?
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 06:42:22 PM »

I haven't put my grammage on there Tobes - but I'm taking the macros on trust as Vicky has worked it all out for me. I just follow the plan, and we'll tweak as we go along.

I'm actually very carb-tolerant (if you believe Poliquin biosig testing) but personally feel better on mostly veg for carbs, and just "proper carbs" after training. I certainly feel I do better (and feel better) on fats.  Smiley
SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR 5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 08:58:07 PM »

nice to see a journal from you Nic.

Never really been an in depth on from a lady on the forum. Will be reading along
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 164
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements