May 21, 2019, 10:19:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What colour bikini for pre judge?
Black velvety material - 9 (37.5%)
Bright pink matt lycra - 8 (33.3%)
Bright blue slightly shiny lycra - 7 (29.2%)
Total Voters: 23

Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nic's journal: onwards to 2017  (Read 390145 times)
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #2445 on: April 01, 2017, 10:16:30 AM »

Fantastic effort Nic. A physical and mental challenge and then a sense of achievement  Grin
SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR 5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #2446 on: April 01, 2017, 02:58:12 PM »

nice work Nic
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #2447 on: April 03, 2017, 12:59:37 PM »

Great effort, Nic! takes some doing that. 
Well, the weather IS improving for you to hit the roads! Any sportives coming up round your way?
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #2448 on: March 23, 2018, 04:51:48 PM »

Well, since there's been a surge in Journals activity, I thought I'd drop in to mine!

Nothing that exciting to report - no plans to prep or compete (this year or ever - although I'm sure I will do so again!) Lots of focus, energy, time, effort into my business at the moment and tbh I'm enjoying that.

So let's see - I most recently competed Oct 2016. Since then I've got Quite Fat (as is my way), but currently in a happy place (for me) and diet is under control and all good. I'm definitely leaner than I've been previously at this weight - can see top abs, definition in delts/chest/back/quads etc. Not that that is a focus at the mo. But it's pleasing to see. I'm definitely still putting on muscle!

Training hard and heavy and enjoying it. At the mo I am doing pull/push/legs/off (repeat).

A new gym opened up nearby last November, it's run by a UKBFF guy who is a well known prep coach. All his athletes come from far and wide to train here, it's got fantastic kit (Hammer Strength etc). It's got two different Pendulum squats if that gives you any idea! Really good place to train, loads of different kit and even things like MAG handles to borrow etc. Plus he and his partner and the rest of the staff are really lovely. It's a very motivating place to train.

So I am there or my other gym depending on what I fancy on the day (for some reason I feel much better back squatting at the old place - no idea why but there you go).

That's about it tbh. No goals - there's a strongman comp in about 6 weeks at a local gym which I'll do. But other than that I just want to be fit and "athletic" for the Summer, I imagine I'll be out on my road bike a lot and will see about local sportives.

Diet wise I will continue to very slowly diet for the Summer - it's nice to see the muscle I've put on!

Over and out - off to train Smiley
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #2449 on: March 23, 2018, 05:19:43 PM »

Great to see you back Nic, I hope you stay around.

Lots there to report on and looks great. Pleasing to see you are in a good place and comfortable and enjoying it all. I think we can (I know I did) lose sight of why we first went to a gym and how we fell in love with just lifting some iron and challenging ourselves. Good to get back in touch with that when the immediate thoughts of shows and prep are gone.

Like the sound of the gym, mine is heavily kitted with the Hammer kit too, as is the lifting home of Si. Seems to be getting a real surge.

Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #2450 on: March 26, 2018, 12:34:42 PM »

Nice to see an update  Smiley  I do enjoy reading your stuff (ever thought about doing it for a living?  Wink)

Happy and healthy sounds good to me.  I haven't ridden my road bike in months now - must try again (better weather needed....), but I don't train with the mate I used to go out with, so less options and more fun with someone else.  Do you generally go out solo?
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #2451 on: May 07, 2018, 07:34:52 AM »

I finally have another update! It's about that time I deadlifted a 130kg tyre for 31 reps in 90 seconds.

I did a Strongman comp yesterday at a local gym. 4 of us in the open women's category.

And I won! I was genuinely shocked - I had no idea how well I'd do, and then even during the comp I didn't know because some of them are done on time (and I thought others were faster than me).

Anyway here's what we did and how I got on

Lots of pics and vids on my Insta and my FB if you'd like to see them.

Event 1) truck pull (9.7 tonnes!) think I came 2nd of 4 women (?) but not sure.

Event 2) log press - to my absolute shock I won this! It was a knock out/max weight thing and I was the only one to get 50kg. It was a struggle but I got the lock out eventually.

Event 3) deadlift (130kg tyre on a car deadlift jack - so not tecnically 130kg - I reckon it weighed 100-110kg) - I won this with 31 reps in 90 seconds WTF.

Event 4) Farmers (55kg each hand) into 130kg tyre flip. 20m or so each with a time cut off. I completed it but again I'm not sure I was the fastest.

Event 5) 50kg sandbag over 1.2m yoke for reps - I won this with 5 reps. This was GROSS. (as was the tyre flip to be honest)

I'll be back with another update in ....er... September or something!
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #2452 on: July 16, 2018, 10:07:38 PM »

Hey gang! Very long time no update.

I'm not even sure I qualify as a bodybuilder any more, but I'm still here so will update you...

After many years of struggling to be even vaguely lean "off season", I seem to have reached a really good place. Ironically, this has happened as soon as I stopped trying so hard.

It's no secret that I used to struggle with off season/between prep. Eating way too much (binge eating problems as those of you closest to me will know). Big fluctuations in weight. Being pretty unhappy at my biggest (although never too bad - but mostly because I'm always a happy person!)

Well. I made the decision to prep again this year, but it never happened. I soon realised my heart wasn't in it, and once that pressure was off... things just started to fall into place.

I backed off BB training a bit (less frequent, 3 times a week full body at the moment).

I started doing hot yoga - which has been a revelation, and has been key to resetting my appetite/food issues as well as reshaping my body.

Started dating (another story for another time!) and generally being more social and more of a normal person - which ironically made me eat more like a normal person. Even though I am eating out and drinking a lot more than I would when I was "trying" so hard to stay a reasonable weight.

Anyway. The upshot is that I am currently lighter than I usually am when I start a prep. In fact, today I realised I'm only 10lbs over where I was at 12 weeks out last prep! I fit into loads of "lean/prep" clothes. This is the first "non prep" Summer in years where I've felt relatively lean.

So here's what I'm doing/not doing at the mo

Gym training 2-3 times a week (full body)
Hot yoga 4-6 times a week
Cardio when I feel like it (sometimes 20 mins stepper after training, but rarely)
Going out on my road bike from time to time
Plenty of walking (as ever - dog owner!)
Not tracking any food
Eating when I'm hungry, and not when I'm not
Skipping breakfast most days (eat at about 11am)
I imagine my protein is lower than it used to be, and carbs are higher

Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #2453 on: July 18, 2018, 12:34:38 PM »

Wow - this was an upbeat update!
Happy for you that life has settled down for you.  Sounds like you've found some ways to mitigate some of the stresses (consciously and subconsciously) that life tends to throw at us  Smiley
AllanD

« Reply #2454 on: August 09, 2018, 05:43:05 PM »

How are you, Nic?
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #2455 on: September 10, 2018, 12:10:16 PM »

Hi all, just a quick update.

Yesterday I did a Strongman (strongperson?) event run by Glenn Branch if anyone remembers the name. Really lovely to see him again and catch up - it's been years.

I hadn't trained specifically for it, it's impossible really unless you have access to the kit. Every Strongman comp is different so it's not even like you can train for one and let that carry you over!

This event had:

1) pressing medley (axle, log, dumbell) 1 x overhead for time - I can't remember the weights, possibly 35kg axle, 40kg log, 20kg DB
2) 100kg deadlifts for reps in 60s
3) 255kg tyre flip (1 rep) into duck walk for distance (think it was 50kgs for 15m)
4) Farmers out and back (I think it was 40kg each hand for 15m, turn, 15m)
5) Atlas stones - heaviest being 52.5kg

Anyway I came 3rd of 5 women but more to the point I had lots of fun, competed all the events, even managed to flip a 255kg tyre and load a 52.5kg stone! And got 15 reps of the deadlift which was more than the goal I'd set myself.

Saw Monbeef there too which was a lovely surprise, didn't expect to see him (or anyone I know!) there - great to catch up with you Mon and congrats on great lifting.

Over and out for another 6 months or so haha
Illustrator Pascal

WWW Email
« Reply #2456 on: April 20, 2019, 08:14:11 AM »

Just back from training with/being trained by Helen Williams. Anyone here remember her? She is/was a WNBF Pro bodybuilder, and definitely did Worlds in 2002.
It's on this forum I first heard of her. I did a search and found her Instagram.
She looks like she's a very nice person.
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements