October 17, 2018, 07:31:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I compete in bench press?  (Read 6026 times)
WannaGetStrong

« on: January 21, 2013, 09:34:40 PM »

I am 33 and have been training since I was 16 (mostly bodybuilding mind you), with a 7 year lay off due to injury (not training related mind you) in 2005. Been back lifting for 3 months and have been surprised how much I can bench press. Im around 81KG (178 pounds) and benching 140 KG (308 pounds) for 3 reps. Although my best in 2005 was 160KG (352 pounds)so not there yet!!

I have always wanted to try competing at bench, but due to the lay off ive never done it. I was wondering if you guys think I am strong enough to compete in a bench press 1RM competition? If so have you any advice for me?

By the way I dont pause at the bottom when benching at the moment, so not sure how much this will effect me. I also tend to bench with a fairly close grip, so not your usual powerlifting style. Always been natural also and the only supplements I've ever taken is protein powder.

Any advice would be appreicated Smiley
ArnoldUno

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 10:26:17 PM »

Hi mate.

Yes. You can compete regardless of how strong you are. At your bodyweight and strength you would be competitive. Go to BDFPA or GBPF to find relevant competitions.

If you practice paused benching you will find you will soon be able to match your TnG max. It took me about 5 weeks.
Jon Bibb

2011 Mike Williams Classic Masters Champion

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 10:01:55 AM »

Definately,160 kg is a fantastic bench,especially for a natural.
Monbeef

Author of The Tower Grave - available on Amazon!

Email
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 09:12:10 PM »

Yep you'd qualify for the British finals in either federation and probably make top 3 or top 5 in the country. U82.5kg is a very competitive class though, so don't expect British titles at 160kg but possibly regional titles and/or records.

You must learn to pause for a two count or as many do, 'and one' then press. The bar must be still. You need to practice holding the tension in your lats with an arched back to make the most of the pause. Standard flat back benching won't let you hold tension and the pause won't let you use elastic tension.

Close grip is best. Little fingers inside the markers for me with the outside of my palms just touching the edgebof the marker. Elbows in, bench.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements