July 17, 2019, 05:33:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29
  Print  
Author Topic: Tales of a DWNPANFAC Pro-Am NM legend powered by CNUT nutrition  (Read 118060 times)
Damon Eaton

Damon "The Truth" Eaton. Free Agent.

Email
« on: March 22, 2013, 04:37:38 PM »

Hey NMers

I decided to start a journal/blog. My main reason behind it is I love training and I love talking about training so it makes sense. My timing is a bit off since I'm in the process of completing my third year at Uni and I'm doing a dissertation at the moment so really all my words and thoughts should be there but I figured this could be a little release for me.

Some days I'll write about my training some days I'll put my diet and macros on and other days I'll just talk about my thoughts and if nobody is interested then don't bloody read. Cheesy

Damon Eaton

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 04:48:41 PM »

Okay so today it's Friday and I trained Legs!

I decided today is going to be a low calorie day and a low carb day (big mistake).

So I wake up and eat 6 eggs (cooked as an omelette with Extra Virgin Olive Oil).

Then a few hours later pre workout I dosed up on caffeine and had a handful of almonds and a scoop of whey.

Back Squats
6 sets of 5

The plan was to perform 10 sets but I began to feel dizzy and light headed as I was only having short breaks between sets and I think its just too intense to do with such low blood sugars. A very similar thing happened last week when I tried to do 3 sets of 10 Deadlifts without carbs, I had to buy a lucozade before carrying on. From now on I'm not training with zero carbs I may do cardio fasted but my weight sessions will have some form of carbs to be fueled on.

Due to my low blood sugars I switched to isolation just to try and keep my heart rate down.

Leg Extensions
6 sets of 12

Lying Leg Curls
2 x 12
1 x 10
2 x 8

Calf Raise Machine
1 x 15
1 x 12
3 x 10

That concluded my leg session in about 50 minutes. Usually there would be much more in there and more compound exercises but after my experience last week when my blood sugars got low I was risking it this week. I won't be training with low blood sugars anymore it just kills the intensity so even on low carb days I'll be putting some sugar in prior to training.

Post workout shake
50g Whey
50g Dextrose

The rest of the day will be fairly low carb and my calories will be quite low today as I had a good feed yesterday where my calories were well over my energy expenditure today I'll go below my energy expenditure.
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 05:49:44 PM »

Great to see a journal from you buddy. Will watch with interest. How much was on the squat bar?
Turpin

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 06:00:44 PM »

A low carb approach does take time to adjust to Damon , however once your body grows accustomed to the lack of fluctuation in blood sugar you will most likely find your energy levels are better than ever.  On the downside I could easily just sleep my high carb weekends away with the subsequent rise and fluctuating blood sugar and insulin.

T.
Damon Eaton

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 08:51:30 PM »

A low carb approach does take time to adjust to Damon , however once your body grows accustomed to the lack of fluctuation in blood sugar you will most likely find your energy levels are better than ever.  On the downside I could easily just sleep my high carb weekends away with the subsequent rise and fluctuating blood sugar and insulin.

T.
Hey Turpin, thanks for the comment.
I did notice you use a very low carb approach throughout the week and seem to train fine. As I say my muscles felt game they weren't the issue also my glycogen was fine since I had 300g+ carbs yesterday. It's just my liver glycogen and blood glucose it seems if my heart starts pounding my brain sends me light headed and dizzy and I begin to sweat a lot as though I'm going to pass out. It really ruins my performance so I think my future approach is to make sure my blood glucose is reasonably stable especially if I'm doing high volume work with big movements such as squats and deadlifts.

Great to see a journal from you buddy. Will watch with interest. How much was on the squat bar?
Hey Toby, glad your following mate. I thought it was about time I got more involved with the forum.
I had 110kg on the bar ATG with 60 seconds rest between sets the muscles felt game I could have got the 10 sets as planned which would have been great 50 reps of 110kg I'd have been real happy with that but I just went completely light headed due to low blood sugars my next leg session will be under higher blood glucose levels for sure.
Damon Eaton

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 08:54:40 PM »

My evening meal was a large chicken breast, with mixed vegetables. I had a handful of almonds too and some fish oil capsules.

That will be all I eat for today now I'll have an extended fast until tomorrow.

I have eaten 577 kcals under my energy expenditure today with my macro percentages looking like this

Protein: 37%
Carbohydrates: 16%
Fat: 47%

Damon Eaton

Email
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 11:37:47 PM »

So then here we are Monday night and the first training day of the week. This is my third week of cutting for the summer and the weekend just gone was very messy one my worst of the year so far. It was a friends Birthday and it involved loads of Vodka (mostly with sugar free red bull), a McDonalds, Doner Kebab, and Pizza. It was horrendous and puts the 'cheat' in 'cheat day'. Only this was more of a cheat weekend and it was awful but nice to let the hair down.

So today I step on the scales and am amazed to find that I'm now 77.7kg compared to last weeks 78.2kg. Interesting really considering I had a massive blowout but the clean eating and carb cycling from the previous week seemed to still give me a bit of weightloss which is nice.

Anyway Back Session...

Pull Up Supine Grip
BW+50kg

This is purely strength work and I have at least 3 minutes between sets, after this I aim for hypertrophy having 90 seconds or less between sets.

Snatch Grip Deadlift
3 x 12
This is the first time I added this exercise and it replaces high volume conventional deadlifts I performed this with no straps as I did with every exercise today so it happens. Make a good mind muscle connection to the Lats and you feel these all the way through the set. I'll perform these every other week from now on.

Dumbell Row
1 x 14
1 x 10
1 x 8

Lat Pulldown
1 x 15
1 x 10
1 x 8 (Dropset x 8 reps)

Pullover Machine
1 x 12
1 x 12
1 x 8

TRX Inverted Row Neutral Grip
30 seconds as many reps as poss followed by a 30 second break before repeating x 4 (burns like hell)

Unsure on my macros for the day I had pizza left over from Sunday night for breakfast but after the the only carbs I had were in my post workout dextrose and everything was fairly clean. Back to recording macros tomorrow and I intend to have a very clean week after that ridiculous blow out at the weekend.
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 08:44:11 AM »

Hardcore, even smashed the pizza for brekky! Good lad  Grin
Damon Eaton

Email
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 11:00:55 AM »

I know mate a proper refeed. That old theory if you treat the body bad it responds better to the good.  Roll Eyes
SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR 5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 02:55:50 PM »

nice to see your journal mate.

I find that after my reefeed on the weekend things felt a little odd when I went back to my lower carb week. I feel fine today, just takes a day or so to adjust
Damon Eaton

Email
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 05:30:03 PM »

Cheers Scott.

I'll be following your progress through the season too buddy and wish you all the best. I'll hopefully see you on stage one day in one of the lightweight classes, doubt it will be this year though. For me I just want to take my bodyfat down for the summer whilst maintaining and if possible keep slowly developing at least in the strength department I doubt I'll dip much below 10% bf this year and will just enjoy the competitive season as a spectator.

My feeding plans this week are to be low carb today (I'll stick the percentages up later) almost zero carb tomorrow since tomorrow is my rest day I may even fast a little and will be in a deficit, then Thursday I'll go back to a surplus and carb up ready for Fridays leg session. I'm just taking things slowly at the moment and trying to prevent my metabolism from slowing. My weights been steadily coming down over the last couple of weeks so all is going well so far. I may just have a photoshoot this summer if I make decent condition give me something to work towards and build upon.
Damon Eaton

Email
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 11:03:37 PM »

Chest Session

Barbell Bench Press
115kg
These were strict powerlifting form (touching the chest and locking out) with at least 3 minutes rest between sets. The goal purely to get stronger at the movement.

Incline Dumbell Press
40kg
Short rest periods below 90 seconds

BW Dips
These were not locked out and they were very slow controlled reps with less than 60 seconds between sets. A great mind muscle connection and constant tension I really felt these in the pecs.

Hammer Strength Seated Press
30kg each side
Again only 60 seconds rest between sets.

TRX Flye Superset with TRX Press
12 + 6
8 + 3
10 + 2
These were very controlled and very little rest between sets not sure how I got more on the third set tbh I just dug deep and made it count.

Today my calories were 535 kcals under my energy expenditure

My macro percentages were

Fat: 45%
Carbs: 23%
Protein: 32%

The last nutrients went in at 7pm so there will be a long fast until breakfast which should help maximize fat loss.
Damon Eaton

Email
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 09:55:51 PM »

I had a total rest day today, no cardio, no stretching nothing at all.

The day's eating was clean and the macro percentages were as follows;

Fat: 43%
Carbohydrates: 22%
Protein: 35%
Damon Eaton

Email
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 10:39:10 PM »

So its Thursday and today was Shoulder day it was also a re-feed day where I have carbed up somewhat. I do this mainly to prevent being in a deficit for too long causing my metabolism to slow and also since I want full glycogen stores for my leg session tomorrow.

Shoulders

Snatch from hang

Military Press (Barbell)
67.5kg
This is my first decrease in strength this year the last time I tried this weight was March 7th. I managed 4 reps that day and the time before that I also managed 4. The only thing that has changed since then is the elimination of d-aspartic acid from my supplements and obviously the calorie restriction. The one other difference is I performed the Snatch prior to this one where as I did less intense cleans the previous 2 times. I hope it was the Snatch that screwed me up time will tell.

Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press
30kg
Fairly weak, shoulders are tiring by now. After my fear that maybe I have lost some strength I went back through my training records to see what happened last time I did this exercise with this weight. I actually did 7,5,5 on the 21st of Feb. Interestingly enough that day I did more on the barbell, strange don't really have an explanation for this but glad I got these reps out.

Lateral Raise
12.5kg
12 + 7.5kg x 6 dropset

Behind Neck Barbell Press Superset w/ Bent Over Lateral Raises
40kg w/ 20kg
10+10
7+8
7+10

Following this workout I did a Bicep/Tricep circuit. I won't have chance to train them this week and as they are my stronger body parts I tend to give them less attention. I did TRX arm curls and extensions superset with dumbell curls and extensions but performed it as a circuit switching from Bis to Tris. Great pump.

Today I entered a 544 kcal surplus hopefully just refilling glycogen maybe storing some protein as muscle (you never know your luck:) )

Protein: 25%
Fat: 30%
Carbs: 45%

When I'm bulking this would be the kind of food and macros I'd pursue. So it stands as my re-feed and metabolism booster for the time being which I re-visit every 3/4 days atm this may (have to) change as I get leaner.

Badger

To press a lot, you must press a lot. -Sheiko

Email
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 01:02:46 PM »

Very good journal!

I like the accuracy and training layout. Very thought out and planned!

How did you find the experience of doing your degree ? whats next?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements