March 20, 2019, 10:42:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 236
  Print  
Author Topic: The pursuit of sustainable health and happiness  (Read 519070 times)
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« on: September 24, 2013, 08:17:25 AM »

I have decided to start and maintain an ongoing journal rather than offseason then prep ones etc. Kinda like Monbeef does it, one journal of the progression through the ages.

History til now has been mixed to say the least with this year shaping up to be a real good year but it died off as my enthusiasm and motivation took a huge plummet in July and I battled to get the fire back subsequently and failed. I had two goals this year - to qualify for the NPA British Finals then finish in the top five at the finals. I qualified but am not doing the finals so consider the year more a failure than a success although i did pull off my best contest shape, it was still far off what I want and was still too soft.

I have no big proclamations of future goals except to say I intend to use all I have learnt in the last three seasons to put together a plan that works for me as an individual which immediately are to not come into prep with 12+kilos to lose and also to not do an early qualifier as I am not prepared to write off a whole year of "living". Instead start prep in good shape, short prep, late qualifer so I can start in June and be done by the end of October. The other benefit of being in better shape at the start of prep is that I will not be such a slave to tons of cardio so there will be less lift sacrifice.

For now, in the short term, I have blown up in weight post season as I planned with a couple weeks off, now a month to whip this bloat off and then maintain condition and weight through the winter. Current weight and weighs will begin next week and winter ongoing weight plan is 74kg.

One other thing I am looking to address off season is tolerance to food being too low, particular carbs. I am looking to work with increased food levels so that prep is not a starvation contest for me with excessive cardio which is a vicious cycle
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 08:25:04 AM »

Considering looking into powerlifting in the off season too, a seed Si planted. I have never done deadlifts without straps before (i know I know, crazy huh!?) so gave it a go last week. Did a couple sets at 140 then a few reps at 150 which I was happy with for first ever go raw.

Qualification for the BDFPA for under 75kg unequipped is 457.5kg and for Masters 1 (U75) is 435kg

On the single lifts that is
Squat - 162.5 - 155
Bench - 112.5 - 107.5
Dead - 180 - 170

I can do the bench and dead but not the squat. I may not do it but tempted to give it a go. I think with work on grip I can crack 200kg on the dead, 120kg on bench and if I can get 160kg on the squat am looking at a 480kg total.

Could be something to aim for
Nagels
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 08:38:21 AM »

Sensible off season weight of around the 75kg mark Toby ,everything else will simply fall into place easy peasy with that as the core goal I'd honestly think.
Looking forward to reading your journal again for its succint honesty.
SuperSi

Email
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 09:59:09 AM »

I had two goals this year - to qualify for the NPA British Finals then finish in the top five at the finals. I qualified but am not doing the finals so consider the year more a failure than a success although i did pull off my best contest shape, it was still far off what I want and was still too soft.

That was a sensible decision, not a failure. You had other things (such as kids) that, quite rightfully, took priority. You shouldn't be so hard on yourself - it could be argued that in the grand scheme of things extending the diet (especially if you're not 100% focussed) would have been more of a failure. You looked the best ever = success.

Considering looking into powerlifting in the off season too, a seed Si planted. I have never done deadlifts without straps before (i know I know, crazy huh!?) so gave it a go last week. Did a couple sets at 140 then a few reps at 150 which I was happy with for first ever go raw.

Qualification for the BDFPA for under 75kg unequipped is 457.5kg and for Masters 1 (U75) is 435kg

On the single lifts that is
Squat - 162.5 - 155
Bench - 112.5 - 107.5
Dead - 180 - 170

I can do the bench and dead but not the squat. I may not do it but tempted to give it a go. I think with work on grip I can crack 200kg on the dead, 120kg on bench and if I can get 160kg on the squat am looking at a 480kg total.

Could be something to aim for

I had similiar concerns to you with the grip - however, grip strength seems to improve pretty quickly. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone fail a lift (single rather than reps) due to grip, apart from guys who are lifting over 400kg.

I think it'd be a great achievement to qualify for both British Bodybuilding and Powerlifting finals - it certainly sounds good! There aren't a huge number of people that have done both.

Training wise, you could always focus on the 'big three' and add in some higher rep accessory work after if you wanted to keep a bodybuilding element to your training.
daddy1

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 10:22:59 AM »

Looking forward to following this next journal Toby  Smiley 
SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR 5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 10:52:21 AM »

good idea on the journal mate, keeps you in check and it will be interesting.

I think you just need some time away from the pressure of getting on stage and eat well, lift heavy and enjoy the passion wagon Grin Good for testosterone
K_Dogs

DOMS makes you feel alive....

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 11:20:54 AM »

Big H!

Glad to see you back. I too like the idea of hitting the British final qualifying weight(s), especially when you look at the calibre of bodybuilders that hold PL records. Plenty of strong guys on here to bounce some ideas off.
There are some good programs out there and most contain an element of hypertrophy specific training which will add some spice to your life.

Good luck; let the games begin.
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 12:22:41 PM »

Thanks guys. I am quite keen on the PL now, what Si said about qualifying for a British Final in both disciplines would be great and something I would be really proud of. I may well set that as a 2014 target, to do both. I am thinking of waiting out the PL until May, when I turn 40 as it is a much lower and easier target and I am hoping I will not suddenly lose 10% from my lifts between May 2nd and May 3rd!!!  Been giving thoughts to doing Masters with the NPA too but will probably stick with the weight classes. I think sub 70kg next year would be best. That was my thoughts before the season and the feedback from people I respect is that I would be better with that 2-3kg off.

I will train as I have been, MAX-OT for the next month as I want to nip the weight back to the 74kg and am more comfortable with things as they are, it needs little thought as I have been doing it so long then I will look into a proper strength programme, hopefully with some hypertrophy included to try and hit both physical goals.

* I just looked up who to contact about BDFPA contests generally and thought I might attend the next event....contact name was a Mr Glen Danbury. Rings a bell
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 01:00:31 PM »

Great stuff mate! Sounds like a solid enough plan.  If you are smart enough with it, theres no reason you cant train as a PL'er and a BB'er.
Like Si said, grip will soon come, and may even enhance the BB physique a touch too?
Nice to say you tried the old PL anyway, but BB can be a good substitue should you have any injurys etc.
Monbeef

Author of The Tower Grave - available on Amazon!

Email
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 01:19:18 PM »

Lol, that's a good journal name!

Good to see, Toby, I'll be watching to keep my own drive on track. After your idea, your journal has instantly become the symbol of my struggle! Lol. You do well, I think 'Dom from To Buy or Not to Buy can do it, so can I!' You do badly, I think 'I do not want that to happen to me!'

So, er, I hold you responsible for my life! Wink

Anyway, powerlifting looks good. If you commit to a full power routine you may find yourself missing the focus on aesthetics. No matter what compounds I do I don't feel right unless I've pumped my arms and medial delts too!

But Coan is a good program for deads and involves a great deal of other higher rep and high volume back work. To Coan once a week is to also comprehensively train your full back once a week.

But you want to up your squat. A few things matter - squat a lot. Always squat to the right depth, and pay attention to power, speed and elasticity with things like jump squats. 5x5 is very squat based but I feel it neglects the aesthetic things.
tony_b

Email
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 04:00:46 PM »

Hope this all goes to plan - the early qualifier thing is a real problem IMO. Its obviously problematic having all the qualifiers near together, but months apart does mean that those who do the early shows have to write such off large sections of the year. Some are fine to do that, others are not.

Those PL lifts don't look too bad - go for it, will be good fun and good for physique too!
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 04:04:25 PM »

Hope this all goes to plan - the early qualifier thing is a real problem IMO. Its obviously problematic having all the qualifiers near together, but months apart does mean that those who do the early shows have to write such off large sections of the year. Some are fine to do that, others are not.

Those PL lifts don't look too bad - go for it, will be good fun and good for physique too!

That is the case for me totally Tony. I burnt out a little physically but mainly mentally, just wanted to do other things and enjoy some life, summer, kids and it was just not fair on everyone how I was living. A short sharper burst at the back end of the season would be better and seems to be the way many, not all though, experienced good hands do it

Anyway, powerlifting looks good. If you commit to a full power routine you may find yourself missing the focus on aesthetics. No matter what compounds I do I don't feel right unless I've pumped my arms and medial delts too!

That is the point in my mind, to do a full power programme but continue with some aesthetics. I have a month or so it work out an approach that would work. It is the squat that really needs the work to be honest and aesthetically it is also my weakest body part, funny that huh!? lol So maybe this will help the quads. My training lifts are already getting me on the cusp of British Qualification and to that end, this week I will test them all out and see what I can get

Great stuff mate! Sounds like a solid enough plan.  If you are smart enough with it, theres no reason you cant train as a PL'er and a BB'er.
Like Si said, grip will soon come, and may even enhance the BB physique a touch too?
Nice to say you tried the old PL anyway, but BB can be a good substitue should you have any injurys etc.

Raw is law Shredder, no more pussying around lol! I think I will enjoy a bit of the PL and the training for a change, if I can find a way to balance the two and make them work
Joe Lyon

Moving forward, inch by inch

Email
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 04:32:03 PM »

Hey Toby, love the new journal name. Good luck with your journey in the coming years. Been looking at qual weights myself, I'm certainly interested in havin a go at pl-ing
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 05:43:52 PM »

Me three on the PL... maybe... my squat and dead would be fine/good even, my bench... not so much Wink

Oh yeah, good luck and all the best and go for it etc etc Toby Wink
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 09:06:21 PM »

It seem BB'ers fed up with dieting and needing something to train for, a goal, turn to PL! Lets have fun with this guys.

Currently dieting with higher carbs than normal. My prep diet was around 1600 cals - 150g pro, 120g cho and 45g fat

My current diet is 2000 cals and today was 160 Pro, 245 Cho, 40 fat

The day works out like this
6.30am - 4 x shredded wheat with scoop of whey
train
7.30am - after training 2 x rice cakes
8.30am - 80g chicken, 130g sweet potato, broccoli
12pm - repeat
3pm - repeat
6pm - pack of Oats so simple breakfast bar, 80g chicken, broccoli
8pm - tin of fruit cocktail, scoop of whey
10pm - 2 x rice cakes, 40g natural earth peanut butter

Simple as that.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 236
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements