January 20, 2019, 10:43:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46
  Print  
Author Topic: No name; just train!  (Read 124937 times)
K_Dogs

DOMS makes you feel alive....

« Reply #660 on: January 06, 2017, 02:54:11 PM »

With the recent interest in full body training I thought I’d pop in and give a little update on how I’ve structured my training. I changed my job back in October to a position with huge responsibilities, so this would clearly be my main focus for the foreseeable future. I also left a well kitted out commercial gym to return to my garage and faithful power-rack  Cheesy
I therefore needed to structure my training to be effective, flexible and sustainable.

I desperately needed structure once the UKDFBA dieting had finally ended and that’s when I decided to revisit Wendler 5,3,1. Having taken a huge break from heavy back squats it wasn’t a decision taken lightly, but I craved simplicity and brutal basics like I always seem to return to. I made a deal with myself that so long as I complete Agile 8 (or a variation of it) before every training session that I would push the deadlifts and squats back up VERY slowly!

I did some soul searching like most do once your competition is over. I concluded that I simply didn’t want it enough and that competing just wasn’t that important to me. Sure I enjoyed getting in shape and having the self-discipline to get stage ready, but if you can’t blindly go after something with all your heart then you won’t be better than someone who does give it their all.
I like to tick certain boxes in life and not being able to tick off a “lightweight” win after all these consistent years is a hard pill to swallow, but for now and maybe forever the box will remain un-checked.
I can see myself getting in shape for summer or maybe even a photo shoot when I’m 40 (2 years’ time), but the stage is not on the cards anytime soon.

Anyway I promised full body talk, not mindset rambles.
So, this in my eyes is something a little special, it’s basically the full body 3 day split from Wendler including “joker sets” and “first set last” FSL sets.

Joker sets are basically additional heavier sets performed after your main sets and are completely auto-regulated (you control them), if you feel strong and want to keep adding weight to the bar then you do and if you’re not on form then you just stick with your planned reps.

All sets are based off of 90% of your 1RM Max, so a 100kg bench max would become 90kg and then the below 65,75,85% are from the 90kg (not 100kg).

The essence of this training is to hit 3 x 5 in week 1 (65,75,85%), then 3 x 3 (70,80,90%) in week 2 followed by 5,3,1 (75,85,95%) reps in week 3, the only twist is that the first set is always an AMRAP (As many reps as possible). After 3 weeks you increase your 1RM and go again.

Wendler obviously describes and details this better than me, but the point I want to get across is that you always train to hit your numbers and push for PR on your third set, but then continue to add weight for low reps (even singles) then you drop right back down to your first set weight and rep out.

In the barbell squat recently I worked up to 140kg for singles, then dropped back down to 100kg to try and squeeze out 20 reps. This I feel combines strength and hypertrophy nicely, but most importantly it structures progress.

Tuesday
Squats (moderate no PR set) This is almost like a warm-up, but is very useful in keeping you in the zone for the next heavy squat session)
5 @ 65%
5 @ 75%
5 @ 85%

Bench Press – (Heavy)
5 @ 65%
5 @ 75%
5+ @ 85% (these usually range from 6 to 8 reps)
3 @ 95%
1 @ 100%
12 @ 65% (First set last)

Chin-Ups
3 x 5 weighted
Or 3 x 10 BW

BB-Curls (light) A bro needs biceps)
3 x 20

Thursday
Squats (Heavy)
5 @ 65%
5 @ 75%
5+@ 85%
3 @ 95%
1 @ 105%
20 @ 65%

Military Press (Heavy)
5 @ 65%
5 @ 75%
5+@ 85%
3 @ 95%
10 @ 65%

BB-Curls (Heavy)
3 x 5

Sunday
Trapbar deadlift
5 @ 65%
5 @ 75%
5+ @ 85%
5 @ 95%
3 @ 110%
18 @ 65% (First set last)

Rows (Using Trapbar) Moderate
3 x 8-10

Weighted Dips (heavy)
3 x 10

Strength, weights, reps, PB's, desire and body-weight are on the up so now this is a good place.
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #661 on: January 06, 2017, 04:37:20 PM »

Hey dude! - good to see you posting again in your journal.
That looks a very interesting program (must have taken you quite a while working all that out!) and one that certainly seems to cover a lot of bases.
That's an interesting concept of increasing the weight through each exercise, and I like the drop sets at the end, as we sometimes do that and is great for pumping you up from a hypertrophy perspective.  Will be following with interest  Smiley
K_Dogs

« Reply #662 on: January 06, 2017, 06:18:27 PM »

Hey Shredder, admittedly it looks a lot more complicated than it really is.

It's just Wender 531, with a few singles and a drop set at the end  Grin
K_Dogs

« Reply #663 on: January 06, 2017, 06:19:39 PM »

Purple - Trap bar deads
Blue - Back squats
Red - Bench

6 month gentle progress. I'm turning into Monbeef with all this analysis  Grin
Badger

To press a lot, you must press a lot. -Sheiko

Email
« Reply #664 on: January 09, 2017, 11:00:55 AM »

I like the look of this a lot, Uncle Jim talks a lot of sense when it comes down the act of getting stronger and hopefully adding tissue.

Home gym crew checking in!

That's the thing with competition and having a perfectionist mindset, the ability to derive the maximum amount of pleasure out of an act can be compromised when you are not "all in". I have similar issues to you where its hard to give your all to a role while staying in a calorie debt for extended periods. Mark Bell has spoke about this before and mulled around the fact that we all have X amount of tolerance to stress and effort to give  and career/family/life in general carries its own burden of time and effort. For me personally I prefer to prioritise my family, wife and being able to be an effective person over dedicating myself completely to bodybuilding. perhaps bodybuilding is unique in the sense that getting stage ready has such a high cost of energy that anyone who says they don't struggle with other areas would probably be bullshitting.

Truly being a fit, strong and healthy person who enjoys training and gains satisfaction from the lifestyle out weighs any trophy when the cost is all other areas of your life suffering.

The trap bar deads are an especially good move for hypertrophy, I tend to spend more time on the standard bar as my body agrees with it but will often cycle it instead of back squats which I am shite at and have crap levers for.

how are you finding recovery on the current program? the back squat especially is in a very good place.

Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #665 on: January 09, 2017, 01:43:10 PM »

Too true mate.  The problem with stress at times is that external factors are sometimes out of your control - e.g kids not sleeping affecting your sleep etc. can really dip into your 'stress allowance'!

The only thing I tend to find with a trap bar is that sometimes they can twist / rotate forwards / backwards at times, or is this just me?
K_Dogs

« Reply #666 on: January 09, 2017, 04:17:11 PM »

Truly being a fit, strong and healthy person who enjoys training and gains satisfaction from the lifestyle out weighs any trophy when the cost is all other areas of your life suffering.

how are you finding recovery on the current program? the back squat especially is in a very good place.

You sum it up well my dungeon dragon. I want to look, feel and be strong. Three days really is my sweet spot, I did originally have squats on a Sunday before deadlifts, but I felt that the session was grinding on for too long.

Recover is really good at the moment, wasn't much fun over Christmas with the winter coughs and colds, but feeling back to strength now.
A variation of the Agile 8 is seriously helping to keep my hips and lower back in order. Lower back is still a weak point so that needs more care and attention.

Still thinking about a Safety Squat bar....?
K_Dogs

« Reply #667 on: January 09, 2017, 04:20:30 PM »

The only thing I tend to find with a trap bar is that sometimes they can twist / rotate forwards / backwards at times, or is this just me?

That's completely normal, you need to place your hands slight forward of center to counteract the tip, also straps make a big difference.

Another awesome exercise is rowing with the trap bar, your lower back is never a weak link and you can really pull until you hit failure.
Seriously enjoying this one right now.

P.S Your traps were looking huge in your recent Insta!
SuperSi

Email
« Reply #668 on: January 09, 2017, 05:40:30 PM »

Your thoughts on bodybuilding comp pretty much mirror my own, mate. I've things I'd like to achieve, but without that all consuming determination, it's not happening.

Good to see you're enjoying your training. Smiley
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #669 on: January 11, 2017, 01:34:03 PM »

That's completely normal, you need to place your hands slight forward of center to counteract the tip, also straps make a big difference.

Another awesome exercise is rowing with the trap bar, your lower back is never a weak link and you can really pull until you hit failure.
Seriously enjoying this one right now.

P.S Your traps were looking huge in your recent Insta!

Good shout, perhaps I need to use it a few more times to get used to it.
I've seen people using it for rows, so will give that a go, as like you say, lower back normally fatigues first.
Haha - thanks mate.  Traps are always keen to activate and grow.  Legs, arms, chest  - not so much!
K_Dogs

« Reply #670 on: January 16, 2017, 04:52:41 PM »

Solid week last week, numbers are slowly creeping up. Foam rolling and Agile 8 variations is still keeping the hips and back in a good place. It was the three rep week, however Sunday was 5,3,1

FitNotes Workout - Tuesday 10th

** Barbell Back Squat ** (moderate)
- 95.0 kgs x 5 reps
- 110.0 kgs x 5 reps
- 120.0 kgs x 5 reps

** Bench Press - Barbell Flat **
- 75.0 kgs x 3 reps
- 80.0 kgs x 3 reps
- 90.0 kgs x 10 reps PB in this rep range.
- 100.0 kgs x 1 rep
- 105.0 kgs x 1 rep
- 75.0 kgs x 10 reps

** Chin Up **
- 10.0 kgs x 8 reps
- 10.0 kgs x 6 reps

FitNotes Workout - Thursday 12th

** Barbell Back Squat **
- 95.0 kgs x 3 reps
- 110.0 kgs x 3 reps
- 125.0 kgs x 8 reps
- 135.0 kgs x 5 reps
- 100.0 kgs x 15 reps

** Military Press - Barbell **
- 45.0 kgs x 3 reps
- 50.0 kgs x 3 reps
- 55.0 kgs x 7 reps

** Barbell Curls **
- 35.0 kgs x 8 reps
- 35.0 kgs x 6 reps

** Good Morning **
- 35.0 kgs x 10 reps

FitNotes Workout - Sunday 15th

** Trap Bar Deadlift **
- 125.0 kgs x 5 reps
- 145.0 kgs x 3 reps
- 160.0 kgs x 8 reps
- 185.0 kgs x 3 reps PB
- 125.0 kgs x 10 reps

** Trap Bar Row **
- 65.0 kgs x 8 reps
- 65.0 kgs x 8 reps
- 65.0 kgs x 7 reps

** Dips **
- 45.0 kgs x 10 reps
- 45.0 kgs x 8 reps
- 20 reps

** Barbell Curls **
- 20.0 kgs x 20 reps
- 20.0 kgs x 5 reps
- 20.0 kgs x 5 reps

** Calf Raises (Dip Belt) **
- 45.0 kgs x 10 reps
K_Dogs

« Reply #671 on: September 22, 2017, 03:27:07 PM »

Well, it's been a while.

Here's some stats since my last update in January!

One of the biggest highlights was joining the 200kg club. OK it was a Trap Bar deadlift using the higher handles (in doesn't have low ones), but still, 200kg x 3 was a big lift for my little legs.

As mentioned elsewhere my diet hasn't been as high in protein as I would like, but many PB's have fallen in the last six months.

I took last week off as scheduled recovery and have just started a new routine which mostly uses 5x5 with strick-ish 1min rest periods to try and use the cumulative effect instead of pounding out max weight sets.
In other words, a little less weight and more volume.
K_Dogs

« Reply #672 on: May 17, 2018, 01:32:59 PM »

Moderation
Well, once again it has been quite a while since I updated my journal, however despite the lack of posts my training has remained (mostly) on track.
After debating the idea of buying a Safety Squat bar for like two years, I finally committed to purchasing one. After some research I decided to go with Watson. I had the loading pins reduced to better suit my home gym and because I can’t see myself needing 6 plates per side or what’s essentially a Front Squat.
Due to a promotion I also received a Watson Ramp with my order which is perfect for calf raises and any exercise where having your heels elevated is advantageous.
So completely by chance I have found my absolute favourite quad dominate exercise, well I say favourite, but it’s more of a love hate relationship.
SSB squats with your heels elevated is somewhere between a front squat and a hack squat and the quad activation (and DOMS) is absolutely splendid.

Everything now is much more moderate, I probably would have used the word boring 10 years ago, however the diet, poundage, reps, alcohol, everything is far more moderate than ever and this could actually be the secret? Possibly another take on Shredder’s “Consistency is Key”, maybe my key is “Moderation”?

As I approach the big Four zero I have many things to look forward too, including much more intimate doctor check-ups, a further reduction in testosterone, balding and the grey hairs in my beard.

Despite a rough start to the year with poor health, training has remained consistent with a focus on gently increasing volume and keeping largely in the 10 rep range.

To spice things up at the moment I’m using the odd 10x10 session and planning to use some barbell complexes to try and shift another couple of pounds before the summer holiday. Abs are visible, but need to drop a little more to look on point. I have a crossfit (wash my mouth out) style skipping rope on order to aid in the calorie burning department.

Actually, on that point, the documentaries about the Crossfit games on Netflix are excellent and highly recommended should you need some motivation to increase your training frequency.

Still absolutely loving my home gym and never take it for granted. It could be time for a new barbell with some decent bearings which might save my elbows from fatigue.

Stay strong, safe and natural.
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #673 on: May 21, 2018, 12:48:54 PM »

Hey dude - nice to see you popping in!
Happy life seems to be going well (apart form the start of the year) and the home gym sounds good! Is it in your garage?
Hope your folks are doing ok now?
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #674 on: May 21, 2018, 01:04:15 PM »

We were only talking about you this weekend Keith. The journal title resonating stronger than ever - no diet names, no systems, just doing what we do - eat well, train hard and be consistent. Done.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements