October 18, 2018, 04:56:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 155
  Print  
Author Topic: Pain & Precision  (Read 328367 times)
K_Dogs

DOMS makes you feel alive....

« Reply #2205 on: November 02, 2017, 04:29:46 PM »

Incredible result mate. With your work ethic it's understandable to feel slightly disappointed, but that's what will drive you on to win next time.
Wise decision to not take the selfish route and risk it all by pushing for the worlds when the time isn't completely right.

Huge congratulations, enjoy the extra incoming calories.
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #2206 on: November 09, 2017, 01:42:05 PM »

Incredible result mate. With your work ethic it's understandable to feel slightly disappointed, but that's what will drive you on to win next time.
Wise decision to not take the selfish route and risk it all by pushing for the worlds when the time isn't completely right.

Huge congratulations, enjoy the extra incoming calories.

Thank you, buddy.  After a little while reflecting on the decision, it was certainly the right one.  The season didn't quite pan out as I visioned it, but my presentation was  Smiley

Calories = happiness!  Cheesy

Although quiet on my journal, I'm still hitting the gym.  Decided to stick with the straight weeks, and not do the A/B workout rotation for a bit, to see how things go.  I want to keep the split the same whenever possible, with the addition of the 4th day as I do enjoy it.
New routines are in progress, Monday was -

Quads + Biceps
Leg press 4 x15 (all reps with a pause at the bottom with 190kg, then 20 reps with 120kg.
Leg extension 4 x10
Smith machine squats with feet far forwards 4 x10
Hammer strength cable curls 4x8
Fixed EZ bar reverse curls 3x12
SS with
Standing DB curls across body 3x8
DB lateral raise 10kg 3x8 to finish.

In other news, I've just signed up to a Level 2 remote learning course on Understanding Nutrition and Health, that's a 16 weeks.  Just for a bit of fun, and hopefully a few snippets of information new to me.
fhwill

Email
« Reply #2207 on: November 16, 2017, 10:15:11 AM »

Just caught up on all this. Go when the time's right not forced. Well done for your place at the Pro Show and use that disappointment to fuel you in the future  Cool
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #2208 on: November 21, 2017, 10:57:45 AM »

Just caught up on all this. Go when the time's right not forced. Well done for your place at the Pro Show and use that disappointment to fuel you in the future  Cool

Thanks, Flick.  It was certainly the right decision after a bit more time reflecting.  You could say it's a bit of a 'waste' being in such good condition and only do one show, but that's just how the cards fell.

Thanks  Smiley
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #2209 on: November 21, 2017, 01:43:22 PM »

Back at it again this week, after a bit of a disrupted week last week as I had to spend two nights away for work.  I trained in the hotel gym this time, but as the Db's went up to 20kg (!) meant I had to change things up a bit..
I did some small incline DB pressing, with a 3 second negative and power up for 4 sets of 15 reps that really started to burn near the end, followed by some flat DB flyes - really focussing on the bottom of the movement with only half the range to keep some insane tension on the pecs.  Then some tricep push downs on the cables, followed by cable OH press.  20 minutes on the exercise bike, then 10 lengths of the pool (not a full sized one!).  All this helped with the large hotel breakfasts and 3 course evening meals I was caining...

Friday I thought id have a go at some light-ish deadlifting - the first time in ages, although trap bar has been a staple for quite a while.  130kg for 8 felt ok, so went to put 140kg on, but miscalculated and ended up with 150! and did 4 sets of 5 reps ok.
I watched a youtube video of Lee Labrada and his son, Hunter, training recently demonstrating a back workout that looked quite good and made some good points, and a philosophy much in tune with my own, so I decided to do that after.  Made a change and was quite thorough. 

Last night was the second time of the new routine -

Quads + Biceps
Leg press 4 x15 (all reps with a pause at the bottom with 190kg, then 20 reps with 120kg.
Leg extension 4 x10
Smith machine squats with feet far forwards 4 x10
Hammer strength cable curls 4x8
Fixed EZ bar reverse curls 3x12
SS with
Standing DB curls across body 3x8
Fixed EZ bar single arm upright row 20kg 3x10
Fixed EZ bar single arm lateral raise 10kg 3x10
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #2210 on: November 27, 2017, 01:49:11 PM »

Thought I'd do a mini update.  Training is still regular as ever, but my days have been a bit jumbled up of late, with events on and Claire and my work too.  Festive season is almost on us too! I can't train tonight, so did a session last night around 4:30 and ended up doing a session with a mate I bumped into which was cool.  Wasn't in the best of moods, but that certainly helped. 

Leg press - built up the weight over 2-3 sets to a top 3 sets with 260kg for 10 reps, then into two sets of 20 reps with 140kg.
After that we did single leg squats in the smith machine for 3 sets of 10 reps per leg.
Leg extensions pin #14 x10 narrow leg placement, x10 neutral, x10 narrow, x10 neutral.  Then pin #10 x 20 reps - killer!

We then moved onto biceps -
Straight bar wide grip 4 x 10 reps with 30kg
Dead stop cable curls #12 x10 x 3sets
Standing cable biceps together 3 x 10 reps.

I'm not too sure what my current kcals are, not quite full off season levels, but no real restrictions either.  My look still seems to be pretty lean, with feint lines still in glutes etc.  I'm sure a few Xmas lunches will rectify that!
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #2211 on: November 29, 2017, 01:40:31 PM »

Chest and Tricep last night, as this week will be a bit jumbled up.
Tried a few new things in lieu of a new routine -
Incline DB press - 37.5kg x8,8,6
Incline Uni press machine 90kg x10,8,8
Incline ISO press 50kg x12,12,10
Flat flye - bottom range only - 20kg x8 too heavy, 17.5 x8,8
Machine dips 80kg x12,12,12
Super sets with
Tricep push ups 3 x10
Standing cable flys #3 x10, x10, #2x12
Rope cable tricep push downs x10,10,10
Rope OH cable x10, 10

Quite a bit done actually looking back at the above.  Will go in tonight for a quick shoulder session.
I've arranged a bit of a steak eating challenge for me and some mates at work (8 in total), 5 of us are going for a 32 oz'er!  looking forward to it.

Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #2212 on: November 29, 2017, 07:41:07 PM »

Not going past the point where the chest tension relaxes makes that a harder exercise, I have lightened mine to a similar level but feel the difference
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #2213 on: December 05, 2017, 01:38:58 PM »

Not going past the point where the chest tension relaxes makes that a harder exercise, I have lightened mine to a similar level but feel the difference

Yes, they are a real slow burner, that amplifies the more sets you do!

QUADS, BICEPS (DELTS)

Leg press 190kg x15,15,15, 150kg x20, x20
Leg extensions #13 x10,10,10,10 alternating narrow / neutral feet spacing
Feet forward deep smith squats 75kg x10,10,10,10
Hammer strength cable curls 15kg x8,8,8,8
*Reverse curls fixed EZ bar 20kg x12,12,12
SS with
*DB hammer curls across torso 15kg x 8,8,8

Fixed EZ bar side laterals 15kg x8 - too heavy, 10kg x 10,10

Had to dash then as I sold my old car, a Mazda 3 - and the guy was picking it up.  New whip is a Honda Civic.  Well, new to me anyway!
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #2214 on: December 20, 2017, 01:42:45 PM »

After a week off last week as we went on holiday to Centre Parcs, back at it this week.  We had a bit of a mare before we went as the 'family car' - our big Peugeot 307 SW's alternator pulley sheared off! and we couldn't fix it in time, so took my Honda that was a bit more of a squeeze, but managed it ok.  Had a nice time there, very cold, and it did rain for the last two days but made the most of the time there. The swimming pool is fantastic and huge, so spent quite a while in there! We went to Longleit zoo again and the festival of lights that they also hold there which is really good.  Diet wasn't the best, and relied on bred more than I would do, but also had some nice meals out too (within the park).  I actually did a lighter, full body work out on the Friday we came home as I really wanted to stretch my back out after being in a different bed, driving etc.  Ended up being a good session and enjoyed it.  Not sure what exercise, but biceps were ruined!

Monday night was quads and biceps -
Leg press - played around with the weight on this.  10 reps per set for 4 sets building up in sets to a top set of 280kg, then took weights off each time, 20 -40 kg per time and adding reps each time.  Pain!
Then leg extension, smith squats, hammer strength cable curls, reverse curls super setted with DB hammer curls.  Standing DB lateral raise to finish.

Now I've got the makings of a cold - sore throat and gravelly voice... Will nock back the RPE tonight, whilst taking some meds to ensure it's gone before crimbo.
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #2215 on: February 20, 2018, 01:48:02 PM »

20th December.......time for an update!
A bit of a frustrating month or so, really - I seemed to regain the cold I had before Christmas, then felt a touch run down when (mostly) recovered as I was still training, so decided to have a de-load week with the view of hitting it hard the following week.  The weekend before the de-load I purchased an off road style (road legal) motorbike to try some 'green laning' riding, as some guys at work go out quite a bit and sold the idea to me.  After a week tinkering and modifying some bits on it, the weekend after the de-load (the first weekend of it being back on the road for its maiden run - I hadn't even had time to acquire all the proper riding gear such as boots..) I took it out with someone from work who regularly goes out, and had a minor spill - very low speed up a slippery muddy track that ended with me having a gashed shin (and subsequently, a slightly bruised rib)...Finished riding and went home, Claire took one look at my leg and sent me up A+E - turns out it was pretty deep and needed stitches.  The white 'bit' you could see was my tendon.. Lips sealed  Luckily, this was only 'marked' - the nurse was concerned it had damage too, as the facia had a minor cut in it too. 
So the leg, then subsequently my rib meant training was difficult and some things impossible.  This was just over two weeks ago.  The stitches came out at the doc's last night, so still need to be very careful around the area for a while.  All this means no leg training, and selective upper that doesn't touch the rib!  I've still been going down the gym , and doing a perpetual 'upper' session.  I tried some single leg stuff last night that was ok, just still need to be cautious of hitting the area of leg getting into position.
And yes - I've got some bloody boots now! that if I was wearing would have saved my shin completely.  Hopefully next week I can introduce a bit more leg work.

Current condition is ok, lighter than I thought I'd be at around 10st 5 (I keep forgetting to weigh myself!) but all the Upper training has resulted in several comments that my arms are looking big at the moment!
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #2216 on: February 20, 2018, 02:14:57 PM »

With stupid ass injuries, your transformation into Tony Barnes is complete.

Bodyweight in check, bodyfat must still be low, great pre-prep place.  Wink
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #2217 on: February 21, 2018, 01:34:04 PM »

With stupid ass injuries, your transformation into Tony Barnes is complete.

Bodyweight in check, bodyfat must still be low, great pre-prep place.  Wink

Well, I'm not quite at the level of trying to fix a piece of kit with a kitchen knife!
I'll try and weigh myself again tomorrow and see what the latest weight is.  Well, Bodypower is only around the corner!  Wink

I've recently discovered to can STILL get Um-Bongo, and it even has the theme tune lyrics printed on the side of the carton.  Mind=Blown.
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #2218 on: February 21, 2018, 01:39:41 PM »

Um Bongo, do you have it in your packed lunch box?

I can hear the advert in my head which then got me thinking of other old adverts, take a look at this gem and see if you recognise anyone

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=is+there+an+air+marshal+on+every+flight&ie=&oe=
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #2219 on: February 22, 2018, 01:33:45 PM »

Um Bongo, do you have it in your packed lunch box?

I can hear the advert in my head which then got me thinking of other old adverts, take a look at this gem and see if you recognise anyone

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=is+there+an+air+marshal+on+every+flight&ie=&oe=

Showing your age now!
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 155
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements