May 24, 2019, 02:03:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155
  Print  
Author Topic: Pain & Precision  (Read 387132 times)
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #2280 on: May 21, 2018, 12:47:29 PM »

Always a pleasure, mate!

You forgot the Upright Rows from our shoulder session. I wouldn't say either of us led; we worked around the available equipment with both of us making suggestions. I enjoyed that - I've not had a regular training partner for over a decade and at least 95% of my sessions are done solo.

Oh yes.  Actually quite like them making a return, albeit the wide grip variety as I really feel them where I want to.  I used to do loads of them as a youngster - hence the overpowered traps!
Have to organise a proper session sometime.

Even though the left knee is still a bit sore (but improving) I did the prescribed back and hams session on Friday.  Stopped a set short on the ham curls as a precaution, but the 5x5 on the trap bar is now 160,160,160,170,170 and all ok.

Saturday I took the road (cycling) bike out as I need to get some training rides in if I'm going to do the 50 mile sportive again this year.  After a bit of a shakey start, I got into it and actually enjoyed it.  Pushed on to some known big hills as a test / training exercise, in the lovely sunshine - I do have a t shirt and short sun tan as a result! as I went out at 10 and got in at 1 so the peak of the sun I suppose.  My Garmin ran out of battery but guessing around 32 miles, with one hill a 1:5 climb for over 1.5 miles - brutal! 
I trained yesterday (Sunday) morning as a result, quite early at 9am as I left for Exeter that's an hour away at 10:30 to watch a PCA show (SW) with my Hines.  Great to catch up as always, and the PCA show ran efficiently so got back in good time.  Bit disappointed at the lack of men's  open bodybuilders though, good quality, but only 3 competitors in total for all of the 4 classes! Is this the slow demise for bodybuilding?
ben-howard

WNBF Pro

Email
« Reply #2281 on: May 21, 2018, 08:00:22 PM »

Glad your still journaling mate, enjoyed your interview with aj Morris , great listen! Still training hard on the basics I see! What is the current split looking like? Any changes to offseason eating this year around?
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #2282 on: May 23, 2018, 12:38:35 PM »

Glad your still journaling mate, enjoyed your interview with aj Morris , great listen! Still training hard on the basics I see! What is the current split looking like? Any changes to offseason eating this year around?

Thanks, buddy  Smiley
Haha! - As you know - get the basics right, and the rest takes care of itself!

As a precautionary for the knee, I decided to not do any front squats on Monday, and went for some concentrated Leg pressing instead.
Feet slightly closer and higher.  Increasing in weight for 10-12 reps up to 260kg (I think) totalling about 5 sets.
Machine Hacks - knees and ankles together 100kg x12,15,15, x20 killer!
Hammer strength cable curls 17.5kg x8, x8 then triple drop set of 17.5kgx6>15kgx5>10kgx4  done for two sets.  Thought my arms were going to explode.
Fixed EZ bar reverse curls 20kg x10,10,10
Single arm cable preacher curls pin#3 x10 x3sets
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #2283 on: May 23, 2018, 06:24:07 PM »

That is superb on the hacks. Maybe just me but I hate those machines and struggle on them (we do not have one at our gym so luckily no option to do it!!) but knees and fankles together is really next level hard
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #2284 on: May 29, 2018, 09:55:19 AM »

That is superb on the hacks. Maybe just me but I hate those machines and struggle on them (we do not have one at our gym so luckily no option to do it!!) but knees and fankles together is really next level hard

Thanks, bud.  It's a brutal movement, and possibly another example of the weight and reps depicting the intensity.  The 20 reps at the end hurt - a lot! but I was proving a point to the guy moaning a bit who was training with me!

Friday's session was a bit 'meh' with general aches and pains more evident.  I trained Saturday with someone different who put some good ideas into the mix.

I decided not to train yesterday, opposed to a de-load that I'd planned.  We did do a family bike ride in the glorious sunshine, with Hayden doing a new PB of just over ten miles! pretty impressive for a 5 year old. 
I'll do a condensed session tomorrow, not much as I have the big bike ride on Sunday 
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #2285 on: May 30, 2018, 12:44:17 PM »

So a day off the gym on Monday.  I have been feeling pretty wiped out and generally 'over trained' or 'over reached' or whatever it's called these days!  Classic signs like physique not looking as good, poor sleep etc. etc.  I'd planned on sticking it out until our family holiday in a few weeks, but glad I've adjusted a few things before then.  I've slept like a boss the past few nights so that gives me an indication it was a smart move.  I'll do a bit tonight - not sure how much, maybe a bit of a lighter, all over session.  I won't hit legs or lower back too much as I've got the big ride on Sunday (that I've done literally two training rides for, or even been on the bike in over 6 months!).   
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #2286 on: May 30, 2018, 01:19:22 PM »

Where is the holiday and how long are you off for?
SuperSi

Email
« Reply #2287 on: May 31, 2018, 10:09:02 AM »

(that I've done literally two training rides for, or even been on the bike in over 6 months!).   

Good to see you're well prepared, mate. Grin

Basically, you're just showing off that you can smash it with your natural fitness!
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #2288 on: May 31, 2018, 12:43:19 PM »

Where is the holiday and how long are you off for?

The whole family is off to Ibiza! (not San Antonio again - not 21 any more!) in a few weeks time.  I was casually chatting to my dad about going away with them as they are frequent travellers, partly as they could spend a lot more time with Hayden, and also me and the mrs would get a bit of a break too as we haven't had a proper holiday in about 8 years.  The next thing I know, my folks have booked for us three, my brother and sister (plus partners) to all go away together! This has never happened before in my lifetime! Really looking forward to it and it also means sharing out the child minding duties is even easier.
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #2289 on: May 31, 2018, 12:44:26 PM »

(that I've done literally two training rides for, or even been on the bike in over 6 months!).   

Good to see you're well prepared, mate. Grin

Basically, you're just showing off that you can smash it with your natural fitness!

I don't think I'd use the word 'smash' when describing my riding!
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #2290 on: May 31, 2018, 12:52:11 PM »

Popped down the gym last night, and went in the mix a bit with a view of doing a de-load type session.  I got into it a bit too much in the end as I was enjoying myself! - this generally happens when I try a de-load.  There's a picture on the gym wall of Dorian Yates quoting something like - "I'm not very good at knowing where 60-80% is, I only know where 0 and 100 is..." and this is me, really.  Maybe a full week off between de-loads is the way forward for me.  Like I mentioned before, I was hoping the week off in Ibiza would coincide with this, but another 3 weeks was a bridge too far.
Anyhoo -
Leg press 200kg x12,12,12  (held back a fair bit on these).
ISO machine chest press x8,8,8
ISO incline machine chest press x10,10,8
Seated Uni press shoulder press x10,10,10
DB flyes 10kg x8,8,8
Rear fly on the pec dec x10,10,10,10 - playing around with the weights now I seem to have FINALLY found a comfortable position.
Cable tricep push downs
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #2291 on: June 04, 2018, 12:52:41 PM »

Friday - in the mix again, and tried a few experimental exercises.  Again, got a bit carried away at times...like the quote above^^  Roll Eyes Huh

Prone DB rows on angled bench - lots of sets
Lat pull downs
Straight arm cable pull downs
cable rows
Cable dead stop bicep curls
Single arm cable preacher curls
Lateral raise machine

Saturday ended up doing a lot more than I liked, as I had the Smuggler cycling sportive on the Sunday..  Did about 20,000 steps, and didn't have my evening meal till 9pm, so not exactly ideal!
Sunday - Arranged to meet my work crew at 7:45am and set off at 9 for the 50 mile route.  The sun was baking hot, and the route is a bit of a killer in places, with one hill ranging from 6 to 14% at times for two miles!
After the second food station, which is at the start of the last, long accent (maybe 2-3 miles at a lesser gradient than the other).  About half a mile in I had to stop on the hill as both quads had dramatically cramped up and locked solid! Very painful, and lasted about 5 minutes.  I walked for 50 yards or so to finally free them up before setting off again.  Horrible, as I hardly ever get cramp - in my life.
Made it home and covered 55 miles in total, and averaged 10 mph so not too bad.  Fell asleep when I got home, and went to bed early too!
A very well organised event, and for a good cause, too  Smiley
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #2292 on: June 04, 2018, 02:00:32 PM »

About half a mile in I had to stop on the hill as both quads had dramatically cramped up and locked solid! Very painful, and lasted about 5 minutes.  I walked for 50 yards or so to finally free them up before setting off again.  Horrible, as I hardly ever get cramp - in my life.
 Smiley

The very definition of bodybuilders looking fit but it all being for show. I am embarrassed for you  Cool
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #2293 on: June 05, 2018, 09:52:31 AM »

About half a mile in I had to stop on the hill as both quads had dramatically cramped up and locked solid! Very painful, and lasted about 5 minutes.  I walked for 50 yards or so to finally free them up before setting off again.  Horrible, as I hardly ever get cramp - in my life.
 Smiley

The very definition of bodybuilders looking fit but it all being for show. I am embarrassed for you  Cool

We were about 34 miles in at that point  Wink
I was assured they did look 'good' in their cramped state!  Tongue

The 'experimental' back stuff wasn't the best idea considering what was coming up... on some of the climbs my back and neck were pretty sore.  Still, bodybuilder 4 lyfe
SuperSi

Email
« Reply #2294 on: June 05, 2018, 11:37:13 AM »

A new back work-out and 20,000 steps as preparation for a 50+ miler!? You massive t**t!  Grin

Well done, mate. Great effort on the ride.
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements