July 17, 2019, 06:21:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 89
  Print  
Author Topic: Ben's road to the 2018 UKDFBA Pro International  (Read 208180 times)
ben-howard

WNBF Pro

Email
« on: January 16, 2014, 01:03:46 PM »

My goal is to step back onstage at the 2014 UKDFBA show on the 27th september,

my goals
1) I want to compete in my best shape with improved conditioning and muscle size all over

2) I want to get into bodybuilding condition, being happy, healthy and of coarse enjoying the process

I am in a great position this year to compete, i have been contracted as a fitness instructor and personal trainer in leamington spa, so finacially stable as i was a casual worker for 6 years with warwick district council before i finally landed the job that i wanted. I have a great bunch of mates, collegues and a very supportive girlfriend who also enjoys eating healthy and enjoys exercise.

my contest prep starts on april 12th so got a few months to get stronger and add some good muscle
my training has been consistant for a few months now and i feel very strong, and have a good base to build on,

i enjoy trainingh full body workouts 3 times per week and have tried different splits and upper/lower workouts but the full body workouts i get stronger quicker and enjoy most, i also like the old school basic feel to the workouts, on my off days i focus on recovery foam roll, stretch and maybe some moderate exercise of some sort too, walking,swimming, etc

i will be updating my log with monthly pictures from april, possibly before i want to be able to look back on my best year yet and see the changes, i write a log in a diary too, and as im on here every day following you guys, i thought ill get with keeping a log too.

i will update my training/diet/any changes, and general day to day thoughts on here also

hope you enjoy  Smiley -

ok, sundays offseason i relax my deit slightly- come april 12th no cheats/refeeds etc

i weigh 82kg and would like to be 78kg before i start my contest prep so loosing around 1/2lb per week up until then, this will be easy as since new year no alcohol, and strict diet 90% of the time, this may happen in the next few weeks and i will hold my weight there, 70kg im gonna be shredded i competed at 71kg before and was in good shape with new muscle and leaner 70kg should do it Smiley

i have 12-13 weeks to loose the 4kg pre contest prep

i will not be doing any cardiovascular exercise i will have 24 weeks to loose 6kg and diet along with hard training will do this for me, ill stay active on off days and focus on recovery

my diet is very simple and works well for me, i also feel great on it

supplements- protein blend/creatine mono/udo's oil (and for 24 weeks pre contest ill add bcaa)

1+ gallon water daily
post workout- protein/raisins/creatine

6am- eggs/oats/blueberries/honey/cinnamon (made into oatcakes) and creatine
10am- protein/fruit/nuts
2pm- meat or fish/potato/vegetables
6pm- protein/fruit/nuts
10pm- cottage cheese/salad/udo's oil

7-8 hours sleep per night suits me well

i dont weigh foods but i use cups to measure food, alot less tedious and still works, at the moment though off the top of my head i consume around 3000cals 150-180g protein 350g carbs  100g fat, and have lost 1/2-1lb per week since new year, perfect at the moment, weight loss is actually speeding up, and my diet have been fairly relaxed on a sunday. I usally have a black coffee pre workout and drink 2-3 green teas per day

training- progress every workout, sessions last around an hour after 5 min rowing warmup
5x5 = 2 warmup sets then 3 working sets 2-3 min between sets 3x10 1-2 min between sets

tue-
5X5 squats
5X5 bench
5X5 bb rows
3X10 donkey calf
3x10 laterals

thur-
5X5 deadlifts
5X5 military
5X5 pullups
3X10 situps
3X10 skullcrushers

sat-
5X5 front squat
5X5 dips
5X5 cable row
3X10 seated calf
3X10 curls

thats it pretty simple, is something isnt progressing ill change it

Cool

Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 01:08:20 PM »

I'm in for following. Good luck with the goals Ben  Grin
K_Dogs

DOMS makes you feel alive....

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 01:16:56 PM »

Hey Ben,

Iíll be coming along for the ride. Are you planning some de-loading during the prep? I know that if I stick to a 5x5 approach for the duration it drains me out in the last few months.

Calories are nice and high for your weight  Cool
ben-howard

WNBF Pro

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 01:20:31 PM »

a little update to the last couple of days

diet- spot on, starting to feel a little hungry in the evenings, after sundays fake nandos (whole cooked chicken with loads of hot sauce) Tongue was gonna have a glass of red or 2 with some cheese on sunday aswell but went into a food coma and resisted.

diet tuesday was spot on, not changing anything untill weight loss stops as im only looking too loose 4kg in 13 weeks or so- real slow and painless, and puts me in range on good contest condition come contest prep time.

got in 4+ litres water today
6am- 1 1/2 cups oats/3 eggs/ 1/2 cup blueberries/ 1tbsp honey/1 tsp cinnamon (oatcakes) 5g creatine
10am- 1 scoop protein/banana/apple/1/4 cup nuts
2pm- chicken breast/large potato/1lb mixed vegetables
4-5pm- train- 5pm- pwo- 1 scoop protein/1 cup raisins/5g creatine
6pm- 1 scoop protein/orange/pear/1/4 cup nuts
10pm- 1 cup cottage cheese/1 large salad (lettuce/cucumber/tomato/red onion)/ 1tbsp udo's oil

i alternate meats steak/chicken/tuna/turkey, everything else stays the same, may change fruit every now and again but stick to serving sizes, and also salad/vegetables may vary slightly, but this is the base

training- feeling good with training during 2013 pretty much had half the year off, was in a place i wasnt happy with my situation, so i changed it and im as happy as ever now, work,relationships etc all perfect  Smiley

feeling strong positive and great with training

5x5 squat 90kg 5, 120kg 5, 150kg 5,5,2 (all below parallel) after i got pinned on the 3rd set, reset and finished the set with a spot, next week get all 5's really attack these wanna be doing 5X5 with 160kg deep before i start contest prep, being 5,7 its easier for me to hit depth so make sure all below parallel

5X5 bench 70kg 5,100kg, 5 120kg, 5,5,4 spot on the last rep of last 2 sets, these were solid storng and taping the chest gently, these have come on loads over the last 6 months

5X5 bb rows 70kg 5, 90kg 5, 115kg 5,5,5 all felt great just get that aggressive sqyeeze on the last set, but nearly ready for 117.5kg, solid form on these, almost pendlay rows

3X10 donkey calf raises stack+25kg 10,10,8 i do a controlled double bounce on these feeling it deep within the calves, felt very strong aim for 10,10,10 before i progress

3X10 laterals 20kg, 10,10,10 used controlled but loose form on these, hit my delts very well stick with these until im completely happy with technique, very nearly there

all done in an hour after warming up, great workout  Smiley
ben-howard

WNBF Pro

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 01:26:22 PM »

welcome along toby - "WWMOD friend!"  Grin

hey keith, last tiem i competed as you know i trained max-ot nice and heavy and it held my tissue right until the end, i think 5x5 will do the same for me, and im looking to keep the cals high throughout and diet slowly, i think ill be fine, if i have to make any adjustments though i will  Smiley having said that, i had the scheduled 1 week off every 8 weeks during my last prep, so may do a "light week" at the 8 & 16 week points? ill see how i feel but love lifting heavy ( for me)

15.1.14- recovery day- diet was exactly the same, had a steak instead of chicken, took half an hour to foam roll and stretch, think this will help my recovery between the full body workouts and want to improve my flexibilty as iv neglected stretching somewhat in the past, plan is 3-4 per week progressive

today- diet is spot on as always, and ready to crush some heavy deadlifts come 4pm after my early shift, living the dream  Grin
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 01:40:50 PM »

Hey Ben  Smiley  Good to see you posting.  Diet and training looks good - very strong too!
I like the idea of Cup measuring, keeps it simplified.
70k aye? Another lightweight!  Grin
ben-howard

WNBF Pro

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 01:49:26 PM »

Hey matt, yeah much simpler than the scales crap lol, one green bean in, one green bean out, yeah bang on now! Roll Eyes i used to be mad for all that nonsense.

haha yeah another one  Grin were gonna take over the world!
felix

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 04:20:54 PM »

Great to hear your competing this year Ben I look forward to following your journal.
ben-howard

WNBF Pro

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 05:40:35 PM »

Thanks felix, I follow your journal and I'm impressed with your consistancy and dedication to the sport, welcome aboard Cheesy
ben-howard

WNBF Pro

Email
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 05:53:00 PM »

Today diet was/is spot on, feeling great and feel I'm loosing bodyfat at a snails pace which is what I want for now, very busy at work with inductions, programmes and PT but really enjoying it, always leave work feeling I helped people which is what its all about

Training- just done on the way home (bus ****er)  Grin

1000m row warmup

5X5 deadlifts 100kg 5, 140kg 5, 170kg, 5,5,3 - focusing on keeping everything solid throughout, setting the bar down and keeping lower back solid, could have probably got 4-5 on last set but would have been ugly, loads left in these and have lifted 180 for 5 before no probs, but touch anbd go, focusing on form as I'm 24 and wanna be in this game for decades to come, I use no straps,belts,wraps or anything not even chalk anymore

5X5 military 50kg 5, 60kg 5, 75kg 5,5.5 1 more rep than last week,kept core nice and tight, soft knees but no leg drive, was powerful and felt this one well! 77.5kg next week

5X5 pullups bw-20kg 5, bw 5, bw+17.5kg 5,5,5 felt great and slightly stronger than last week, grest contraction on the lats apart from last 1-2 reps, gonna stay with this weight and squeeze every rep hard at the top before I move to 20kg

3X10 situps- 40kg, 10,10,10 felt great really controlled and good contraction, just last set abs cramped and had to rest for 5 seconds half way through set, next week last set as solid as first 2 before I move to 45kg (I do this with 2 plates on my chest)

3X10 tricep pushdowns 52.5kg 10,8,6 all to failure pretty much, was suposed to do skullcrushers but the bicep bragade were infront of the mirror hogging the benches, but need to get down there and crack on with skulls, as don't feel these are as good,

Overall great workout, job done, just make more of an effort with the accessory work at the end, arms are a little weak for me especially in front double bicep so need to hit them hard

Turpin

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 06:50:33 PM »

No -nonsense training , strong too !

T.
SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR £5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 07:14:23 PM »

hi big fella. Will be following your journey. Look forward to seeing you on stage at the UKDFBA
ben-howard

WNBF Pro

Email
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 08:08:40 PM »

Hey turpin, thanks mate, I learn from the best  Wink thanks for your help recently mate, much appreciated

Hi scott, will be a good year! And following your journal, your strength is going through the roof! Some great gains to come for the next time on stage!
SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR £5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 09:21:24 PM »

Thats the plan mate. pretty dam strong yourself mate. Strong basic exercises, clean basic diet. What more is there to it? Not much  Wink
ben-howard

WNBF Pro

Email
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 10:35:57 PM »

Feeling strong at the moment, yeah loving the basics, seems to be doing the trick so far  Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 89
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements