August 26, 2019, 07:51:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  
Author Topic: Jon's Journal  (Read 36728 times)
Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #90 on: September 20, 2017, 09:30:11 PM »

Short leg session:

Leg press, toe press, SLDL, seated ham curls alternated with leg extensions. Finished off with standing calf raise and leg raises for abs.

All done in around 30 mins. Bodyweight 78.5kg
Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2017, 07:08:03 PM »

An abbreviated upper body workout today: Lat pulldowns with flat DB bench press and tricep pushdowns. Bent over DB rows with DB shoulder press. DB curls with hammer curls, side laterals and dips. Shrugs with EZ bar pullovers and bent over laterals. Workout done in about 45 mins. Bit tired from yesterday's leg session but didn't seem to hold me back too much.
Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2017, 10:40:31 AM »

Another leg session in the bag, with an upper body workout last night. Really struggled with time yesterday with a busy day at work and some DIY in the evening, so didn't get to train until late. Still, managed to increase the poundage a bit from last week. Bodyweight has crept up to 79kg, although I've put creatine back in so probably holding a bit of extra water.
Dan94

BulkPowders referral code http://referme.to/efed29

« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2017, 11:34:14 AM »

What're your goals at the moment mate?
Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #94 on: October 03, 2017, 11:47:37 PM »

Hi Dan, current goal is just to get back to a decent baseline of strength and size and stay injury free along the way. Maybe drop BF % a few points and gain some new lean muscle, although happy for bodyweight to remain steady. No immediate stage plans but I'd like to get to a point where it wouldn't be completely out the question to at least entertain the idea at some point. Smiley
petrominator

WNBF Pro Bodybuilder

Email
« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2017, 07:11:35 AM »

Hi Jon,
great to catch up with you on Sunday. Do you still train? Any plans of changing your routine? Is it hard to stick to regular workout regiment? I know this sport can be very selfish and it takes a lot of sacrifices. Not sure how you do this guys but I can only imagine is not easy with family and other work commitments.
What kind of workout would you recommend for very busy family person who would like to train 2x per week with strength & health in mind? What do you think about bodyweight workouts (chins, dips, handstand push ups, push ups etc.)

By the way, great to see you here with your journal! Not being here as often as I would like to.

Best wishes, M.
Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2017, 12:43:50 PM »

Hi Martin,

Yes, great seeing you at the UKDFBA finals and catching up. Smiley

I trained last night! Did legs at 10pm. My workouts are now squeezed into very odd time slots as life is incredibly busy but I'm still hitting the iron. For me the upper/lower system works well as I can turn over the whole body very quickly with minimal gym time, but a push/pull/legs combo is also a favourite, along with chest/back, arms/shoulders, legs. The latter lends itself very well for alternating sets as you can train opposing bodyparts with minimal rest time in-between and really crunch the session down. On top of this you are doing more work in less time and thereby increasing intensity which in itself is a good for cardiovascular fitness, spiking T and metabolism and triggering adaption and growth.

To answer your question: I'd go with the simple upper/lower split for someone who can only get to the gym 2 x per week. Either that or a full body session each time (but varying the exercises into 2 different workouts - eg: free weights vs machines), with very abbreviated choice of exercises too, to avoid spending too long in the gym.

Bodyweight workouts are excellent. I have a client who has prepared for a show whilst away from home with limited access to weights and so incorporated many bodyweight exercises, like chins, dips, push-ups etc... With some creativity you can do a lot of things with just your own weight and a pair of adjustable dumbbells.

Bodyweight holding steady at 79kg this week, so no change there for now but will be seeing if I can gradually build this up a little over the coming weeks and months whist keeping bodyfat in check.
petrominator

WNBF Pro Bodybuilder

Email
« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2017, 10:47:56 AM »

Thank you Jon. I really like short workouts. Somehow I can`t imagine training like an animal for more than 45min. I only asked as not so long ago I had very demanding job (time wise) and had time for only 2 workouts a week but still made huge progress with workout A and B (full body workouts) focusing on basic movements, very old school way.

Good luck with your workout and keep it posting :-) I had my journal here before too, it is a great way of sharing and motivating yourself and others.
Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2018, 04:24:54 PM »

Well, I had a bit of a forced rest from weights recently due to being so busy work and then tackling some DIY jobs on the house in the little spare time I had left, but looking forward to getting back into training soon.

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and New Year. Smiley
AllanD

« Reply #99 on: July 23, 2018, 01:15:35 PM »

Hi Jon!

Miss your workout log Wink
Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2018, 06:44:00 PM »

Hi Allan,

Yes, I'm afraid it's not the most up to date journal! I'm doing ok and training is ticking along well. The hot weather has made workouts in the log cabin especially challenging - it's been like a sauna in there recently. Trained upper body yesterday and doing legs tonight - once it's cooled off a bit. I'm on the familiar upper/lower/rest split and it's tiding me over nicely.

My poundages aren't anything to write home about right now compared to my best lifts, although I'm pleased to be training free of injuries and enjoying the sessions. Been really busy with work and doing jobs on the house so plenty of calories being burned and staying relatively lean. I think I'm a shade under 80kg right now - hoping to build that back up over the coming months.

Still involved with the sport though and judged at the UKDFBA USN Classic so far this year, and will be at the UKDFBA Northern and Heart of England, so hope to catch up with everyone there. Smiley

AllanD

« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2018, 01:55:36 PM »

Hi Jon!

Thanks  a lot for your information.

Do you think you will compete again?
Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #102 on: August 03, 2018, 12:47:51 AM »

You're welcome Smiley

I'm not sure. I've certainly not ruled it out!
Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2018, 08:51:45 PM »

So things have been pretty hectic once again juggling work, projects on the house and training, but managed to be consistent over the last few weeks, hitting the gym pretty much every other day and eating really clean. Dropped a few pounds and leaned out with all extra CV so dipped down under 80kg again. Will be aiming to build that up over the next few months keeping BF in check and aim get back to previous levels if I can remain consistent.

Had a good time at the UKDFBA Heart of England on Sunday and meeting up with everyone. Such a great atmosphere too, with a big and noisy audience there was a real buzz to the show. Tremendous standard of competition with over 130 competitors I think. A long day judging, but we still finished at a respectable time. Looking forward to seeing the photos from that by Sam with Lee's report to follow of course!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements