April 26, 2019, 03:00:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Exercise Order Influences Adaptations to Exercise  (Read 810 times)
Achappell

« on: July 02, 2014, 02:05:36 PM »

I came across this today and posted it on my page but I thought I'd share it with you all as well.

Exercise Order Influences Adaptations

This was some cool research I'd heard about in the past, but never actually came across an article until today. This study has been performed in animals, so I'd be interested in seeing some human work if anyone has any.

The order of concurrent endurance and resistance exercise modifies mTOR signaling and protein synthesis in rat skeletal muscle. Ogasawara et al. 2014 AJP.

In brief: Researchers investigated if the order you performed your exercise influenced skeletal muscle adaptations. So cardio first followed by weights or weights first followed by cardio.

Researchers used 5 groups, either resistance exercise alone, endurance exercise alone, resistance exercise then endurance exercise, endurance exercise then resistance exercise and finally a no exercise control.

Researcher found that when endurance exercise followed resistance exercise (cardio last), adaptations to resistance training were reduced, compared to performing resistance exercise last or resistance exercise alone. Researchers used the the mTOR pathway to quantify this.

Its worth noting that this study was performed in animals, the type of cardio was low intensity lasting 60 minutes and there was no nutritional stimulus provided.

So what does this mean to you?Huh A single study in animals is probably not enough to really go on at the moment to completely alter the order you perform your exercise, however it does add to the body of evidence that suggests concurrent training (doing both cardio and weights) results in lower gains in hypertrophy, and strength compared to weights alone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements