July 17, 2019, 06:15:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Lightweight ambitions...2016  (Read 58858 times)
SuperplexSteve

« on: September 15, 2014, 04:35:59 PM »

Hi all, I've been lurking these boards for a while, gaining a lot of inspiration from it.

I thought I would start documenting my own journey for next year and beyond.  I competed for the first this year, and in some respects it may have been a little pre-mature.  On the other hand, I've always wanted to compete, so why not just get started and gain some experience?  That was the mindset anyway.

In the comparison shot, my weight on the left hand side was 73kg, back in October 2013.  On the right, my stage weight was 60kg (September 2014).  In hindsight, there was really no need to gain so much.  I should've maintained at around 70kg - my strength levels were quite good at that point.  Beyond 70kg, I really didn't notice any increase in strength.

Next year, I would like to compete as a lightweight and it would be fantastic if I could increase my stage weight by around 5 to 10lb, with improved conditioning.  I'm still fairly new to hypertrophy style training, so I hope this isn't beyond reach.

I'm currently procrastinating from starting my "off-season".  Once it begins, I know it needs to be a co-ordinated plan, consistency is key.

There are a few things I want to change in my approach, it will be interesting to see what the effects will be:

- I will initially start with an upper / lower body split and therefore train each body part twice a week.  Last year, I trained using a 4-day split and I reckon I just wasn't hitting each muscle group with enough volume.

- I'll be dropping my protein intake to around 150g per day.  Previously, it was anywhere between 200 to 260g per day!  I believe this amount is unnecessary for someone of my weight, and my wallet will appreciate the reduction!  Most of the protein should be coming from food, with the exception of the post workout shake.

- For my reverse diet, I'll be starting my carbohydrates at 250g per day, gradually increasing it to 500g.

- I will be introducing one or two cardio workouts a week.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Alex

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 04:54:19 PM »

Cool, im in. Sensible approach out lined, welcome to club high carb  Grin
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 05:52:46 PM »

Glad you started a journal Cheesy
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 06:04:19 PM »

Glad to see you are starting a journal after seeing you poppin around posting Steve. Good luck with the goals
SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR 5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 08:30:14 PM »

welcome to journal lad Grin
felix

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 11:40:21 PM »

I look forward to following your journal Steve.
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 12:52:54 PM »

I think you would make a good Lightweight, Steve.  You don't look too far away in your comparason shot there either.  Good shape, perhaps a touch leaner.
Sounds like a solid plan anyway.  Smiley
Alex

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 02:10:12 PM »

Ditto that - I think you carry some great mass on your frame, and if you were to get that little bit tighter I think your physique would pop, especially in the quad department. Something to think about for next years season perhaps?
SCOTTGALTON

Email
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 08:24:28 PM »

Looking forward to following along mate. I think a bit leaner and you have a lot of places that you will climb, cracking quads by the way
SuperplexSteve

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 12:31:21 AM »

Thank you for the positive encouragement guys.

I'm pleased with how my legs have developed over the past few years, I just wish that the separation in my quads were more visible.  My overall condition can definitely be improved.  My coach reckons I may have thicker than average skin on my legs lol, but I think his more plausible explanation is that it may just take a few more cycles of dieting down, as my body becomes better at adapting to frequently dropping to a low bf %.

Matt, Scott - it would be a fantastic feeling to one day be able to stand on the same stage as you two, but I have lot of catching up to do first!  It would feel like competing against two giants! Having said that, we are about the same heights I think? (5' 5"?)

Saturday 20th September - Legs and biceps

This was my session back in the gym following a two week break after the NPA South East.  Having suffered a bout of food poisoning last week and also recovering from some wrist pain (possibly tendonitis), my morale was dipping.  I'm really pleased to be training again and can't wait to build up my numbers after such a long period of dieting.  Walking into the gym felt like stepping into a playground.

Hack Squats:
warm-up 20kg x 12
warm-up 60kg x 12
working set 120kg x 12
working set 120kg x 12

Incline leg press:
warm-up 50kg x 12
warm-up 50kg x 12
working set 100kg x 12
working set 150kg x 10

Leg extension machine:
warm up 10kg x 12
warm up 10kg x 12
working set 30kg x 12
working set 40kg x 12

Lying hamstring curl:
warm up 10kg x 12
warmup 10kg x 12
working set 30kg x 12
working set 30kg x 12

Deadlifts (I actually should have been doing stiff legged deadlifts, but I really felt the need to check where my strength was at this stage):
warm-up 20kg x 12
warm-up 60kg x 12
working set 100kg x 8
working set 120kg 4
working set 120kg x 4

Biceps:

Seated (incline) curl
Single-arm preacher curl
Hammer curl

I can't really remember the specific rep ranges for these exercises, and to be honest, for biceps it's not something I pay too much attention to.
SuperplexSteve

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 01:29:24 AM »

As you can see, I wasn't really able to keep this blog up to date, which I admit has mostly been due to laziness.  After a long day, updating the blog seems like a low priority.  I guess I will make this post my annual update.

After hemming and hawing for a while, I've decided not to compete in any Finals.  I just don't feel ready yet and logically, I didn't think it would be worthwhile to put my body through further stress for little reward.

I've decided to take stock and start thinking about how I can make improvements.  I could use some opinions on how much time I should take off?  I'm considering taking 2016 off completely in order to have an 18 month off season (Sept 15 - Feb 17).  I can see that the danger with this is that I may become sloppy e.g. become too liberal with the counting of macros.  The re-introduction of alcohol to my body will be inevitable - realistically, I can see myself slipping back into a routine of having say 3-5 units per week.

I will be taking on board some feedback I've received this year and will change my training approach to respond to this.  To start with, I'm going to operate a 3-day legs, push, pull split.  I'll be focusing on building up strength again and also a 3-day split will better suit a busy work schedule this Autumn.  From January onwards, I can see myself moving to 4 or 5 day split to respond to my feedback - my top half needs work and I guess it will be beneficial to double up volume on body parts such as shoulders, chest and arms.

All in all, I feel I have rough plan outlined.  The challenge is going to be staying motivated and enjoying the journey of personal growth as a goal in its own right.  This will be quite different from training towards a show as an end goal.  I'm still adjusting to be honest.

Anyway, I have attached some progress pictures:

Back double bicep - BNBF Southern 2014 -> BNBF Central 2015
Lat spread - NPA South East 2014 -> NPA Midlands 2015

[attachment expired]
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 12:58:54 PM »

Hey Steve,
Nice chatting to you again at the Midlands show you did, that was definitely the best I have seen you.  Whatever you did for that certainly helped.
A whole year off (or a bit more like you said) can help with your goals I'd say.  The years (well, I whole year and one 10 months) off I have taken certainly helped me build.
Are you still planning on watching any more shows this year?
SCOTTGALTON

Email
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 01:16:21 PM »

you have really made some improvements mate and your condition is really going places. I had a year out and as a result I am in a much better place for this prep.
SuperplexSteve

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 02:12:23 PM »

I thinks it's about time I fired up this journal again.

I've decided that my first contest will be the UKDFBA Southern - this will be my first UKDFBA outing so I'm pretty excited and a little nervous.  I feel that I've had my most productive offseason yet as I've been able to keep weight gain at a sensible rate.  I actually believe that I could comfortably match my previous condition in around 8 weeks.  Given that the show is 15 weeks away, I don't feel as pressured.  As long as I don't make any silly mistakes, I should easily beat my old self.

I'm sitting at around 68.5kg and currently working with total calories of 2900kcal.  My aim this season is to try to maintain a high level and gradually increase my cardio output.  I'm currently doing 3 x steady state treadmill sessions of approximately 150kcal.   This is about all that I can handle at the moment!  On Monday, I was dripping with sweat after just 5 minutes of running.  I'll be adding HIIT as my fitness improves.
SCOTTGALTON

Email
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 02:44:19 PM »

Steve thats great news.  I will be doing the backstage so I will see you there. If you can ake it to the Southern club it would be really good.

Whats you average day look like, food wise?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements