May 21, 2019, 10:29:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Lightweight ambitions...2016  (Read 57324 times)
SuperplexSteve

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2016, 02:43:51 PM »

Excellent, it'll be nice to catch up backstage.  I do hope to attend the next club, as well as being helpful, it would be nice to put some more faces to usernames, and meet some fellow competitors.

Food wise, it's pretty consistent.  I've reached a point where I enjoy everything I'm eating at the moment so it doesn't feel restrictive:

Breakfast - I grab a coffee in the morning from Pret-a-Manger and have one of their plain pretzels (333kcal).  This is followed by 75g of oats and 30g of whey isolate (~400kcal).

Lunch - 100g of brown rice, 200g turkey, and veg. (~550kcal).  Throughout the week, I rotate the turkey with either chicken or 5% beef mince depending on what I fancy.

Snacks - 2 bananas (~200kcal) and crisps from Food Doctor, which I usually graze on at work throughout the afternoon (~300kcal).  I really like their products to be honest - low in fat and a decent amount of fibre.

Post work-out - 30g whey with Myprotein's fruit and veg. mix. (~100kcal).

Post work-out meal 1 - 120g fruit & fibre or bran flakes with skimmed milk (~500kcal).

Post work-out meal 2 - 100g of brown rice with 250ml liquid egg whites and a few slices of ham (~500kcal).

Last night I trained shoulders and abs:

Hammer strength seated shoulder press - 6 sets (2 sets of 30kg each side, dropping down to 25kg and then 20kg).
Rear delt fly - 6 sets
Front plate raise - 3 sets with 15kg, followed by 3 sets of 10kg, making a conscious effort to pause at the top of the movement.
Side lateral raise - 3 sets with 10kg, followed by 3 sets with 5kg seated, again pausing for a few seconds at the top.

Rope pull down - 5 sets
Hanging knee raise - 2 sets
Standing oblique cable crunch - 2 sets
Horizontal woodchop - 2 sets

Finished off with 15 minutes on the treadmill ~ 150kcal.

SuperplexSteve

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 01:48:03 PM »

It was a back and biceps session last night, which went pretty well.  I woke up this morning feeling nice and refreshed.  It's a shame I don't feel the same way on Monday mornings.

Deadlifts - 2x60kg of 10reps, 90kg - 8 reps, 110kg - 6 reps, 120kg - 6 reps, 2 x 130kg of 4 reps.

Seat cable row with the close grip handle - 35kg, 40kg, 45kg and then 50kg

Hammer Strength T-bar row - 4 sets of 10kg (my lats were pretty pumped by this point)

Straight bar cable pull down with neutral grip - 5 sets (I added this exercise fairly recently and seem to be responding quite well to it, hoping to build some thickness).

Weight assisted pull up (wide grip) - 4 sets with slow negatives.

Machine preacher curl - 4 sets with slow negatives.

Barbell bicep curl - 3 sets with 20kg, shoulder width grip

Hammer curls - 3 sets with 10kg

EZ bar reverse grip curl - 3 sets

Looking forward to legs tonight.
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 02:08:46 PM »

Good work there, mate.  How often do you train and what's your current split?
SuperplexSteve

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2016, 04:00:39 PM »

Good work there, mate.  How often do you train and what's your current split?

Hi Matt,

I'm training around 5-6 times per week.  It's a typical "bro split".  In response to contest feedback, I'm really aiming to add thickness to my upper body, so trying my best to train those parts twice a week.  It usually goes something like this:

Monday - Back / Biceps / Cardio
Tuesday - Shoulders / Abs
Wednesday - Chest / Triceps / Cardio
Thursday - Back / Biceps
Friday - Legs
Saturday - Rest / Cardio
Sunday - Chest / Triceps / Abs

I usually have one or two rest days per week depending on how I feel.   If I have two, then the schedule above is adjusted slightly.  One thing that remains consistent for the past few years is that I always train legs on Friday, on their own.  On Saturday, I have a lie in  Grin

Here's last Friday's leg workout:

Legs extension - 8 sets working my way up the stack (45kg, 50kg, 55kg, 60kg, 65kg, 70kg, 75kg, 80kg)

Outer thigh adductor machine - 4 sets

Back squat - 1 set with just the bar (20kg), 2 x 10 reps of 60kg, 2 x 6 reps of 90kg, 3 sets x 5 reps of 100kg

Stiff leg deadlift - 10 reps of 60kg, 6 x 5 reps of 90kg, 10 reps of 60kg to finish

Lying hamstring curl - 4 sets

Leg press - 50kg, 100kg, 150kg, and the three sets of 200kg (5 reps, 4 and then 3)

Hack squat calf raises - 4 sets

With the back squat, there were no safety bars available, so a lot of the time I start second guessing myself.  I do a fair bit of number crunching at work, so you would think that if I look at it logically, I probably have it in me to comfortably squat 110kg and 120kg without a spotter but I talk myself out of it.  I nearly talked myself out of doing 100kg!

As for the leg press, I find that it is different in almost every gym I've been to.  The Hammer Strength machine has always felt awkward for me.  The sole of my feet aren't perfectly parallel to my torso like with other machines.  My toes a pointing slightly forward, I'm not sure it that makes any sense.

SuperplexSteve

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 01:39:46 PM »

Last night was shoulders and triceps

As expected, Monday night is always busy so I didn't get to use my usual station of choice - the Hammer Strength plate loaded shoulder press machine.  I decided to use a different machine with a weight stack.  Prior to adding this exercise, I used to do dumbbell shoulder presses but I never seemed to respond well to it.  I've been getting some decent results with the Hammer Strength station so will stick with it for the duration of prep.

Shoulder press machine - 6 sets working up to 50kg
Rear delt flys - 6 sets
Front plate raise - 4 sets of 15kg (8 reps), 2 sets with 10kg (12 reps)
Lateral raises - 3 sets of 7.5kg (12 reps), 3 sets with just 5kg (holding the weight for a few seconds at the top of the motion)

Straight bar push down - 6 sets
Rope pull down - 6 sets
Seated dip machine - 6 sets

A decent session overall.  I really feel that ever since I gave shoulders their own day, I've been able to see some good improvements since I'm able to pile on the volume.

Tonight I was originally planning to just get my cardio duties done.  However, I've now decided to train biceps, abs and calves - a few miscellaneous muscle groups that are due to be trained again.

Steve

SuperplexSteve

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2016, 11:40:56 PM »

So today's session was back.  It felt a little disjoint again as it was pretty busy but I managed to get the equipment I needed.  I somehow nipped my thumb at the start - I find it slight unnerving seeing my own blood but I got a plaster and was good to go.  it didn't affect my grip at all.

Weight assisted pull-ups - 4 sets close grip, 4 sets wide grip, working the negative slowly.  Contraction felt great.  It almost felt like the honeymoon period again for a new exercise.  I've only just recently started doing pull ups more frequently.

Machine row - 6 sets working up to 50kg.  Last couple of working sets were 8 reps each.

Straight bar cable pull down - 4 sets

Single handle cable row - 4 sets of 12 reps, last working set around 30kg

Close grip seat cable row - 4 sets - 35kg, 40kg and the two sets of 45kg

Finished off with two sets of the lat pull down, holding the bar with a neutral grip at the ends.  Weight was light but the contraction felt very good.

Overall, a decent session.  I'm saving the deadlifts for Saturday's back workout.

Diet wise, I've dropped to around 2800kcal.  40g fat, 180g protein, and just below 450g of carbs.  This the first week I've start to feel a little leaner.  Weight is still hovering around 68 - 69kg.  So far, so good.
SuperplexSteve

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2016, 11:52:47 PM »

Chest and triceps today

Started with flat db bench press - 2 sets of 25kg (15 / 10 reps), 3 sets of 30kg (8 / 6 / 4 reps), 1 set of 20kg (8 reps)

Hammer Strength incline press - 4 sets of 40kg

Machine chest press with neutral grip - 4 sets with 45kg, 40kg, 30kg and 25kg (8 reps each)

Seated chest fly - 4 sets with 45kg, 40kg, 35kg, 30kg (8 reps each)

Db fly - flat bench - 2 sets with 10kg pausing at the bottom

Cable cross overs (handles set at low height) - 4 sets

Straight bar tricep push down - 5 sets with 35kg, 35kg, 40kg, 40kg and 45kg (10 / 10 / 8 / 8 / 6 reps)

Rope pull down - 4 sets

Dips - 3 set of 6 reps, then 2 extra weight assisted sets

Finished off with 150kcal on the treadmill, which I managed do in slightly less time than last week, so not too bad.

Overall, one of the better workouts this week.  Triceps felt nice.  I've started getting a much better pump ever since I switched the order round of doing straight bar push downs first.

SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR 5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2016, 08:49:32 AM »

looks like everything is going to plan mate. I'd be pumped to hell with all that volume
SuperplexSteve

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2016, 10:00:55 PM »

Admittedly, my training approach is not the most scientific.  I just want to make sure I've given it my all.

Friday evening, so that can only mean legs.

Leg extensions - 7 sets - 50kg, 59kg, 68kg, 77kg, 86kg x 3 (all 8 reps).  Legs were pretty pumped!

Outer thigh adductor - 4 sets

Back squat - 20kg, 70kg (8 reps), 90kg x 4 (5 reps), 60kg x 2 (5 reps)

SL deadlifts - 90kg x 4 (6 reps), 95kg x 2 (4 reps), 70kg x 2 (8 reps)

Narrow stance incline leg press - 50kg, 100kg, 150kg (8 reps each), 190kg x 2 (5 reps), 190kg then drops sets with 150kg and 100kg (4 / 4 / 6 reps)

Hack squat machine calf raises - 30kg, 50kg, 80kg, 100kg (8 reps each)

Looking forward to indulging in a big breakfast tomorrow.
SuperplexSteve

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2016, 01:13:27 PM »

Sunday - back and chest

Woke up feeling well rested and I think the benefit of a good night's sleep was clearly reflected in my workout.

Deadlifts - 60kg (10 reps), 90kg (8 reps), 100kg (8 reps), 120kg (6 reps), 130kg x 4 (4 reps each).

Bench press - 40kg x 2 (8 reps), 50kg x 4 (5 reps)

Seated cable row (close grip handle) - 6 set - 35kg, 40kg, 45kg, 50kg, 55kg x 2

Lat pull down (wide neutral grip) - 4 sets

Lat pull down (close grip attachedment) - 4 sets

Machine chest press (neutral grip) - 6 sets - 45kg x 2, 55kg x 2, 40kg x 2

Hammer Strength incline chest press - 4 sets

Generally, I'm happy with the deadlifts.  They felt comfortable and I will continue to deadlift once a week.  I think this is the strongest I've ever been during prep.

Bench press is a work in progress as well, my progress has always been slow on this exercise, but things are improving.

Weigh in update - 68.5kg
SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR 5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2016, 01:22:31 PM »

No need for science, just go in a have a great time lifting.

All looks good mate, nice to see you posting regularly
SuperplexSteve

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2016, 01:28:31 PM »

Thanks Scott. I try not to over analyse it.  I do make a conscious effort to keep lifting heavy on the compounds though, all the way through prep. 
Badger

To press a lot, you must press a lot. -Sheiko

Email
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2016, 09:59:37 PM »

I like the look of the plan - regular sessions, a solid amount of cardio and a good nutritional base going into things. Also you have stayed within a good distance of comp weight.

All the best mate, I have no doubt you will have a great year!
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2016, 12:33:57 PM »

Do you do any other cardio based sports mate?
Have you thought any more about picking the shows to do for the year?
SuperplexSteve

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2016, 02:09:13 PM »

I like the look of the plan - regular sessions, a solid amount of cardio and a good nutritional base going into things. Also you have stayed within a good distance of comp weight.

All the best mate, I have no doubt you will have a great year!

Thanks mate.  I think the past two years of competing has taught me a lot.  This year, I've given myself plenty of time to prepare so it should be a fairly comfortable prep.

Do you do any other cardio based sports mate?
Have you thought any more about picking the shows to do for the year?

Hi Matt.  Back when I was a student, I dabbled in Muay Thai and MMA classes, so that was the extent of my cardio.   I don't do either of these now as I don't like being hit in the face!  I wouldn't mind learning to play squash or some other racket based sport to be honest.  I think I would enjoy that but would need to find a regular playing partner.

In terms of shows, we have the UKDFBA Southern on July 24th and the BNBF Central one week later.  I'll see how those go and take it from there.   How about yourself?  Will you be going for your 4th title defence?

Last night was shoulders and abs

Hammer Strength shoulder press - 3 sets of 30kg per side (10 / 8 / 8 reps), 3 sets of 20kg (8 / 8 / 8 reps)
Front plate raise - 4 sets of 15kg (10 reps each), 2 sets of 10kg with pause at the top (10 reps).  Strength has definitely improved on this exercise - I was not previously able to do so much volume on 15kg.
Db lateral raises - 4 sets of 9kg (10 reps each), alternating the angle. 
Seated db raises - 4 sets of 5kg using really strict form and pausing at the top.  Feeling pretty pumped after this.

Cable woodchop (waiste height) - 2 sets per side
Oblique cable crunch - 2 sets
Rope crunches - 6 sets
Hanging knee raises - 3 sets

Cardio - 150kcal on the treadmill.  Pretty pleased that I managed to finish this within 12 minutes, which is another improvement from last week.  I reckon, a few more weeks of this and I should be able start incorporating some sprints.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements