July 23, 2019, 12:20:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Lightweight ambitions...2016  (Read 58934 times)
SuperplexSteve

« Reply #180 on: September 04, 2016, 11:16:39 PM »

I've Google the chap who won and he's pretty good mate. I think he'd beat quite a few good lightweights. Looking at your loading of food, is that in place of a more structured carb up?

Just an off the ball question. Do you ever have any trouble getting  your food in in the office environment?  Suffered any negative comments  etc

A very good lightweight indeed.  You can tell that a lot of thought has gone into building his physique to develop balance and symmetry.

Regarding the food - in peak week, I don't change anything in the days leading up to show date.  What I've noticed (and I've mentioned this before) is that I look terrible first thing in the morning and I only start looking full and vascular by the end of my last meal after a full day of eating.  So my thinking is that on show date, I'm simply trying to accelerate the process.  I wake up early and just load up on calories - as you know, it's easy to do when a lot of it is coming from fat.  I think I prefer this to loading up slowly with a "clean" carb like sweet potato, because it's too time consuming and makes me feel bloated.  Also, I think by loading up on the day of the show itself rather than one or two days before hand, I'm very unlikely to spill over.

It's an interesting question regarding work. I changed jobs in late 2012 and this was really the catalyst for starting the natural bodybuilding journey.  I found my previous job just reached a point where it was making me feel depressed.  I remembered that I always enjoyed going to the gym but the job didn't give me enough time to train regularly.  My current job is still office based but much more relaxed and the hours are more predictable.  I adopted an "I don't care what people think" kind of attitude, as long as bodybuilding doesn't start affecting the quality of my work, then it's fine.  I've been packing my own meals for over 3 years now so people are sort of used to it.  Also, I find that quite a lot of people bring their own food from home.  A lot of people in the office are quite health conscious, so although what we do is extreme, it is still understandable.  I usually don't go out of my way to talk about bodybuilding unless someone specifically asks about it - I find this is quite a good way of keeping the two worlds separate.  I don't even bother inviting friends or family members to watch me compete, it's usually just my partner that supports me.
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #181 on: September 05, 2016, 12:54:54 PM »

Nice result for you at the weekend, mate   Smiley  Congrats.
You seem to be getting leaner but managing to be more fuller on the day, so win win!
fhwill

Email
« Reply #182 on: September 05, 2016, 01:42:08 PM »

On the office thing... I find being in a structured 9-5 much easier to get meals in. When I used to PT I used to find it so hard with clients at different times etc... Sometimes my colleagues used to say things like "Are you doing that bodybuilding thing again?" or "Ooh what are you eating?" (which drives me mental  Angry ) but I am quite considerate in that I wouldn't eat smelly meals in my office anyway. I've got all night at home to eat salmon/eggs/broccolli  Grin
SuperSi

Email
« Reply #183 on: September 05, 2016, 04:34:04 PM »

Congratulations on your placing, mate. The hard work has really paid off!

Was it Bertrand that won the class? If so, I spoke with him at the NPA Yorks. Really nice fella.
Badger

To press a lot, you must press a lot. -Sheiko

Email
« Reply #184 on: September 05, 2016, 05:01:56 PM »

I have just seen the pictures on the NPA page - definitely the best you have brought to date with plenty of condition and muscle fullness. Nailed it buddy! Also that is a great shot for you.

The biggest challenge is learning what works on the day, this season has been good for both of us for finding out what to do what maybe we should not do.

SuperplexSteve

« Reply #185 on: September 06, 2016, 09:29:53 PM »

Nice result for you at the weekend, mate   Smiley  Congrats.
You seem to be getting leaner but managing to be more fuller on the day, so win win!

Thank you Matt! That was always the aim.  I know now not to be afraid of increasing calories.  I dropped as low as 1500kcal, and in the lead up to this show I was on 1800kcal.  I think I will keep it more or less the same for the upcoming shows but the ratios are going to change slightly.  I'll drop both fat and protein a little, and then bump up carbs.

On the office thing... I find being in a structured 9-5 much easier to get meals in. When I used to PT I used to find it so hard with clients at different times etc... Sometimes my colleagues used to say things like "Are you doing that bodybuilding thing again?" or "Ooh what are you eating?" (which drives me mental  Angry ) but I am quite considerate in that I wouldn't eat smelly meals in my office anyway. I've got all night at home to eat salmon/eggs/broccolli  Grin

That doesn't really annoy me as much anymore as I'm so used to the questions.  It actually turns out to be a good conversation starter in the kitchen. I get questioned mainly on my exotic choice of meats like ostrich and venison.  We once had a complete ban on microwaving fish in the office!  I'm pretty sure the ban is still in force tacitly.

Congratulations on your placing, mate. The hard work has really paid off!

Was it Bertrand that won the class? If so, I spoke with him at the NPA Yorks. Really nice fella.

Thank you sir! It was Bertrand that won the class, a really good guy with a positive outlook.  I'm sure he will go far if he does decide to take this sport to the highest level.

I have just seen the pictures on the NPA page - definitely the best you have brought to date with plenty of condition and muscle fullness. Nailed it buddy! Also that is a great shot for you.

The biggest challenge is learning what works on the day, this season has been good for both of us for finding out what to do what maybe we should not do.

Hi mate, thank you for the kind words.  At the end of the day, this is about trial and error and the main challenge is learning your own body.  I'm sure you'll agree that this is part of the fun! I really enjoy setting out a plan and trying to execute it.

I think the two biggest factors driving my improvement include (i) identifying food intolerences, simply cutting out food and products that I know give me digestion issues; and (ii) increasing training volume and frequency.  Due to my previous work commitments (studying for work qualifications), I struggled to string together back to back sessions, but now I have no problem training everyday if I wanted to.

Tomorrow marks my return to the gym after a few nice days of eating "off-plan" Grin.  One of the small tweaks will include performing morning cardio - a simple brisk walk.  I live and work in London, so I will basically get off at a station further away from the office so that I can spend some time walking.  It sounds like a small addition, but for someone that sits on their bum all day, hunched over, this will have an impact.
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #186 on: September 07, 2016, 08:47:12 AM »

Yeah congrats mate. A good showing and some solid consistent work this year. Side chest is a great show for you, really nail it and get the chest look massive and striated
felix

« Reply #187 on: September 11, 2016, 12:16:34 AM »

Well done Steve on coming 2nd at the NPA South East and getting an invite to the finals excellent result.
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #188 on: September 12, 2016, 01:00:07 PM »

Good shout on the extra walking by altering train stops, makes sense and easy to do  Smiley
SuperplexSteve

« Reply #189 on: September 12, 2016, 10:28:54 PM »

Yeah congrats mate. A good showing and some solid consistent work this year. Side chest is a great show for you, really nail it and get the chest look massive and striated

Thank you Toby.  I always felt that the side chest just felt very natural for me.  All other poses have required a lot of work and they will continue to need attention as my physique improves, I hope  Grin

Well done Steve on coming 2nd at the NPA South East and getting an invite to the finals excellent result.

Thanks Felix.

Good shout on the extra walking by altering train stops, makes sense and easy to do  Smiley

Other people's journals have really helped me to generate my own ideas, tailoring activities to suit my personal circumstances.  Cardio has been a great help to me during prep.  Your cycling is great addition.  I would be too scared to ride in London though!

Aside from that, not much else to update on the journal.  I'm at a stage now, where I feel like I'm just cruising - I definitely feel physically, the fittest I've ever been and my energy levels are still decent on around 1800kcal.
SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR 5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #190 on: September 22, 2016, 01:56:34 PM »

Hi mate, nice to see you at the weekend. I hope your looking forward to the finals? Grin
SuperplexSteve

« Reply #191 on: September 22, 2016, 11:49:37 PM »

Hi mate, nice to see you at the weekend. I hope your looking forward to the finals? Grin

Great to catch up again Scott.  I'm really looking forward to both the NPA and UKDFBA finals.  I'm just intrigued to see what my best ever shape will look like.  The NPA South East was the first time where I've been satisfied with my stage condition, so if I keep pushing, I should look better, in theory.
SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR 5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #192 on: September 23, 2016, 08:44:36 AM »

Steve if you have tightened a bit more there is no reason why you shouldn't display the very best version of yourself. Fingers crossed I get to see a few of the classes. With the new venue I haev no idea if I will get to see the front of the stage. At Leaminton I can just pop out and have a quick look as everyone looks totally different under the lights.
K_Dogs

DOMS makes you feel alive....

« Reply #193 on: September 23, 2016, 10:08:58 AM »

Hi Steve, I saw you on Sunday, but didn't get to say hi  Angry I hope that you do well in the Finals and do the Forum proud  Cool
SuperplexSteve

« Reply #194 on: September 25, 2016, 06:06:04 PM »

Hi Steve, I saw you on Sunday, but didn't get to say hi  Angry I hope that you do well in the Finals and do the Forum proud  Cool

Thanks Keith.  Well done on your showing, it looked like you enjoyed yourself out there.  It was a good class.  I did try to look for people in the interval but I guess you may have been backstage.  I left just before the MW posing routines.

One week out from the NPA finals for me now and only three weeks left of dieting. I had a good run in the outdoors today (as opposed to the treadmill).  I surprised myself at how long I could keep running without stopping to rest.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements