July 17, 2019, 05:22:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 122
  Print  
Author Topic: Concieve, Believe, Achieve - Powerbuilding with a Kazmaier flavour!  (Read 316641 times)
Badger

To press a lot, you must press a lot. -Sheiko

Email
« on: January 11, 2015, 09:46:44 AM »

Morning all,

This years journal will intermittently cover my journey from the following position.
Body weight: 75kg
Deadlift: 227.5kg (in competition) raw
Squat: 165kg (in competition) raw

To the following goals
Deadlift: 235kg raw 240kg equipped
Squat: 170kg raw 185kg equipped
To have my first proper amateur boxing match this year

Prior to powerlifting I competed UKDFBA and NPA in the novice category in my first year (3rd at qualifier and 5th at finals) and in the lightweight classes throughout 2011 (mixed bag of 2 x 2nds, a 1st, a 5th and a 5th at the British finals). Currently competitive bodybuilding is not on the radar though.

Current training
Currently running a Westside training style whereby deadlift sessions and squat session are carried out once weekly on a wave program of dynamic day (50-60%) repeated effort day (80-85%) and Max effort (90-100%)
The following percentages apply to the primary move and alongside that move there will be work done with special bars etc safety bay, cambered bar, yoke bar and kettle bell work.

Conditioning training consists of 2-3 sessions a week skipping, speedball, heavy bag, reaction ball and body weight work.

Next competition is 1st of feb where I will be attempting an equipped squat of 180kg to qualify in that lift for the British championships. I have qualified in the deadlift already and am planning the to deadlift raw and equipped at the British in late February.

I have found an amateur boxing club so will also be attending 2 x 2 hour training sessions weekly and ultimately culminating in a bout at the end of it, hopefully within 6 months. Always loved boxing and grew up scrapping with my mates on the back garden and was involved in lau gar kungfu for a short while so it will be good to learn the proper ways of doing it.

Let the games begin!
Today will be max effort on the equipped squat using an Inzer hardcore single ply suit and no knee wraps, I have worked upto 175kg previously and will take this session as far as I can today.
p0stscript

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 11:45:50 AM »

looking forward to reading about your progress
Joe Lyon

Moving forward, inch by inch

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 12:43:36 PM »

Will read with intent Smiley
Badger

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 01:50:52 PM »

Thanks PO and my brahsky Starsky!

Boxing workout
3 rounds heavy bag
3 rounds speedball
3 rounds shadow boxing
2 rounds skipping

Heavy bag work is getting better, learning to turn my body into the jab properly. Concentrating on moving after each flurry of shots and footwork required for that. My wife has given me the green light for a fight so the boxing conditioning work should keep me sub 75kg and also gives me an exciting outlet as I used to love getting ready for tournaments (the nerves etc) when I was in my late teens and kind of left it behind as work and life took over but I am in comfortable spot in life at the moment and we only go round once on this mortal coil..

Currently eating in preparation for squats later today.

Current nutrition is as follows

David Hodson
5 January at 11:04 Edited
Latest Nutritional experiment
Breakfast 4 eggs 2 bacon + teaspoon peanut butter
Snack whey shake
Lunch one bag spinach/rocket 100g cheese, 2 tablespoons olive oil
Snack 10-15 almonds + 500 ml milk
training
Post training PHD ISO7 post workout shake 2 bananas
Tea 60g carbs with high fat protein meat
Bed peanut butter, rice cakes, cottage cheese

I put my training vids up on facebook so just look for david Hodson and you should find me!

felix

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 09:12:39 PM »

Great to see you starting a new journal Davey I look forward to following your progress.
Badger

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 08:07:33 AM »

Cheers Felix, hope you are well mate!

Last night went into heavy squats, worked up as follows.

120kg x 2 140 x 2 150 x 1 160 x 1 170 x 1

I would of pushed on further but having to squeeze in 11 rounds of boxing on the same day left me in a place where I did not want to risk missing a rep. They all felt good and I am looking for 177.5kg as a qualifying weight for the British single lifts. Need to wash the inzer aswell as it is getting loose now I am lighter.

Followed by 60kg x 8 as hard as possible for 3 sets using the reactive method.

Body weight this morning was 75.3kg so sitting right around the mark and had a big steak last night.

May do some ab/lower back work later in preparation for deficit deadlift night on Wednesday.
SuperSi

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 10:48:29 AM »

Fantastic goals for the year, mate! Quite an unusual combination as well. All the best with it. Smiley

From your vids on Facebook, your footwork looks good for someone who hasn't had a fight yet (even taking into consideration you've done other martial arts - that's sometimes a negative when transferring to boxing as the footwork is so different).
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 12:19:32 PM »

Nice to see you with a journal Dave

Becoming a very strong dude! I watch your videos on FB with awe buddy. Good luck with the boxing mate, as you know it is my passion and I had a fair few bouts myself with mixed results (I won when they matched me easy, lost when they matched me not easy lol)
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 01:43:17 PM »

Nice on Davey boy - good to see you jounaling again  Smiley
I noticed your new low carb approach - what are you doing job wise now?
I did wonder if you were planning on dusting off the old BB trunks again this year too?
Badger

Email
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 04:35:32 PM »

Fantastic goals for the year, mate! Quite an unusual combination as well. All the best with it. Smiley

From your vids on Facebook, your footwork looks good for someone who hasn't had a fight yet (even taking into consideration you've done other martial arts - that's sometimes a negative when transferring to boxing as the footwork is so different).

Cheers Si, variety is the spice of life mate lol. Taking into account the different energy systems involved in each pursuit I will have to focus on keeping my cardio work to short, intense intervals rather than using long steady runs etc.

Any tips for putting the work into getting conditioned Si?   

Looking forward to learning the real skills of boxing, Luckily I did not take too much on board when doing martial arts as Lau Gar is mainly based around lots of sparring which was good fun but I did not bother kicking then so hopefully should I get a bit lost in the moment I "shouldn't" unleash a roundhouse kick Smiley.
Badger

Email
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 04:37:46 PM »

Nice to see you with a journal Dave

Becoming a very strong dude! I watch your videos on FB with awe buddy. Good luck with the boxing mate, as you know it is my passion and I had a fair few bouts myself with mixed results (I won when they matched me easy, lost when they matched me not easy lol)

Cheers Tobes,
Regardless of the record mate take a good sized pair of balls to get into the ring and fight! Any advice Toby on how to proceed with having my first bout?

my little frame is getting stronger with time, so much of it is learning to focus and keep the right muscles tight though.
Badger

Email
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 04:44:37 PM »

Nice on Davey boy - good to see you jounaling again  Smiley
I noticed your new low carb approach - what are you doing job wise now?
I did wonder if you were planning on dusting off the old BB trunks again this year too?

A lot of it is desk based and travelling now Matt, I work in the agricultural industry (poultry mainly) distributing vaccine to veterinary surgeries and training farm managers in the proper vaccination procedures to ensure their animals are properly protected. It means a lot of phone calls, driving and staying away..and lots of time on my arse lol

I noticed I was simply getting paunchy and also my concentration was poor when my blood sugar was bouncing up and down. The new nutritional plan is a better fit so far!

Rergarding the bodybuilding..its a funny thing. There is still nothing quite like surviving the prep to get on stage and standing there knowing you have busted your balls. I had a cheeky look at my quads the other day since I have been lighter and that little voice pops up and goes "hey, hey, go on, do it, you know you want to"..I would need to be around 71kg for it to be worth it.
SuperSi

Email
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 05:11:24 PM »

Any tips for putting the work into getting conditioned Si?   

It all depends on a couple of factors, bud. Mainly, a) prioritisation, related to timing of the powerlifting and boxing and, b) what impact you find that each form of training has on the other.

For example, how does interval training affect your lifts? Is there a certain point where as the interval training goes up, the lifts go down. The most important thing will be mimicking the rounds in boxing: making sure you can do more and for longer.

Any ideas when you're looking to have your bout, or too early to say? If it's within six months (as you mentioned) that'd coincide with the single lift worlds wouldn't it (you must be in the mix for a deadlift qualification?)?
Badger

Email
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 06:12:14 PM »

That's a point I have been mulling, Powerlifting is the main focus leading into the British and I may use whether I am able to lift a weight that gets top 3 and worlds qualification as the method of deciding how soon to get stuck into boxing.

If I fail to qualify I will then focus on getting into proper condition and spend the 6 months learning the very basic skills before having a bout with someone of similar ability. As the standard in the 75's is very high I may need 230 to qualify as we have lifters like Fodor, Gilbert and Luke Rogers in the 75kg class who lift between 230-250kg.

If I qualify then will focus on Worlds leading into it with the current training structure of 2 x boxing workouts per week.

Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 06:27:05 PM »

I think the only small insights into first bout experience is that be aware the nerves will jangle like crazy. I recall sitting in the changing room trying to pluck up the courage to just walk out and go home lol! But once that first bell goes that all vanishes and you are just in the moment.

What I do recall was that I was very used to sparring and that was obviously with smaller gloves for starters but also that when sparring no one is really looking to land on you too hard. You jab with 80%, if you catch the other lad with a tasty shot you give him half a moment to recover and even mutter an apology for hitting harder than you should etc. First fight, he came out and rammed me with a jab with full power right in the snozzle which stunned me. Harder than I was used to, smaller gloves had more impact and he did not mutter an apology but followed up on the attack!

So my advice is to go in ready from the start, be prepared for it to be very different, be alert every second, try and land a good stiff shot early and pace yourself. The nervous energy used to make me pant like crazy after just one round when three days earlier I sparred 10 rounds no hassle!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 122
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements