July 17, 2019, 05:23:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 122
  Print  
Author Topic: Concieve, Believe, Achieve - Powerbuilding with a Kazmaier flavour!  (Read 316642 times)
Badger

To press a lot, you must press a lot. -Sheiko

Email
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 08:04:56 AM »

Cheers mate, I imagine the adrenaline is through the roof! That feeling of waiting to fight is unlike anything else. Will do Toby, and I will aim to make sparring as much like a competitive bout as possible so I don't form any bad habits.

When I was 19 I competed in a "light continuous" kickboxing tournament and there was nothing light about it, I turned up expecting a general kind of tappy tappy session with some shoe shine punching and after receiving several axe kicks to the head realised that fighting in any forum is never for fun lol

I have printed off the medical forms for the ABA although what do you think will be a better fit, obviously the standard will be much higher in the true amateur code as opposed to white collar. Am I too old to learn the skills needed to have a ABA fight or would one of the White collar boxing companies be a better fit?
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 07:10:26 PM »

I have very limited experience of white collar having only attended one event so think it may be unfair of me to compare really but I do feel the ABA is the correct route to take as it is the proper, official route with the correct pedigree. Probably wrong of me but when someone says they have boxed but then say White Collar, I almost feel like, "ok mate, I do not think you have boxed boxed, properly" which is snooty of me but I know lots of other properly licensed guys (ABA and pro) who say the same.

I do not think lack of experience at your age will be an issue, they will match you with an equal novice and you are more than capable of learning the moves. I have already seen sweet shot placement, turns on the hooks, speed and balance on FB vids from you
Badger

Email
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2015, 08:03:01 PM »

That's the route sorted then!

I must admit doing it the proper way is a lot more appealing to me, I have watched the White collar matches on the Internet and while I respect anyone who gets in the ring, to do so having learned and put the work into mastering the skills must be far more satisfying.

Recently chatted to a guy from Donnington ABC and will pop in for my first proper session at this club. It's only 20 mins down the road.

Next step is to get my medical done and signed off, I assume I just book in with a GP for this.

Thanks mate, appreciate your guidance!
SuperSi

Email
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2015, 09:11:54 PM »

Unlike Toby, I've no practical experience (failed my medical on eyesight about 4 days before my first fight) but I've worked a fair bit in boxing and from what I've seen:

White Collar: Can be fantastic. Can be lots of mismatches. You could be matched against an ex-amateur with lots of experience and they'll most likely pay less attention to weight disparity. A lot can depend on who the biggest ticket seller is. It shouldn't happen, but it does.

With the amateurs, you'll definitely be matched according to experience (only exception would be someone who originally wasn't UK based who says they've never had any fights when they have - unlikely at a good club with a good network though).

First Fight: I did a few inter-club fights that were treated as real fights rather than a spar. I noticed that a lot of guys in their first fights are naturally nervous, and just try to throw bombs. The art of boxing goes out the window. The fella that can relax, counter and stay calmer often comes out the winner.
Badger

Email
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2015, 10:10:41 AM »

Thanks Si,

I have called up a few of the white collar organisations (Zero to Hero and Ultimate White Collar) and got the impression that they were slightly looser with judging when someone is truelly ready to get in the ring. I am sure a lot of them do a great job however many of them seem to run 8-10 week preparation periods which seems a touch short to me when it comes to getting someone properly trained in how to defend themselves.

Doing the amateur route is preferable for what I want out of the situation I think, Training 1-2 times per week at a boxing gym on post powerlifting days and doing extra work at home as a top up. Planning on going to train at Donnington ABC next week. At the end of the day it is making myself remember there is no rush and it is much better to get in the ring ready and confident than hoping to get "lucky" with regards to my opponent and knowing that I would of got pasted against someone doing it the old fashioned route through a dedicated boxing gym. 
Badger

Email
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2015, 10:20:23 AM »

Last nights training session.

Weighed in at 74.6kg which is the lightest I have authentically been in a while (at the worlds I had to dehydrate to weight the same and exist on pretty much zero food the day before). I am not really sure where my body will settle with this method of eating as I was around 71kg a few days before this shot..will be interesting to see.  

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1387792551434322&l=92bc631891

Deficit deadlifts (Around 1-1.5inch)
Warmups (foam roller, band work etc)
180kg x 2
190kg x 2
195kg x 2
200kg x 2 (a PB for deficit work) https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1591446014402307&l=8279727435351858114
190kg x 2

cambered bar squats
95kg x 2
105kg x 2
115kg x 2
125kg x 2
135kg x 2

Hyper extensions with bands x 3 sets

I have a feeling it will take a bit of time to get used to lifting without any belly fat for the belt to sit on, Will need to tighten it up again.

yesterdays food
4 eggs in olive oil with a teaspoon of peanut butter
120g cheese with a bag of spinach/rocket and 2 tablespoons olive oil
10 almonds
2 eggs with 60g cheese + large glass milk

Train

PWO shake (phd)
Fishcakes, mountain of veg
Oat cakes/ banana/yoghurt/ milk pre bed

Glen Danbury

fuelled by EQ nutrition

WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2015, 10:37:00 AM »

tighten the belt and you'll be fine. only lift I find really gets hit my becomibg leaner is bench.
Badger

Email
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2015, 10:38:21 AM »

It's lucky I don't bench...I don't believe in it lol!
Glen Danbury

fuelled by EQ nutrition

WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2015, 11:03:47 AM »

good work Smiley
Joe Lyon

Moving forward, inch by inch

Email
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2015, 11:11:42 AM »

But but I thought you had to bench to get hench Wink
Badger

Email
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2015, 11:39:06 AM »

You may need to bench to get hench, and if you don't squat you rot but as the great man said

"There is no reason to be alive if you can't do deadlift"  Jon Paul Sigmarsson
Joe Lyon

Moving forward, inch by inch

Email
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2015, 11:50:23 AM »

No truer words have ever been said
Turpin

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2015, 11:52:23 AM »

Nice deadlifting Dave , your form is much improved. Wink

T.
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2015, 01:44:05 PM »

"There is no reason to be alive if you can't do deadlift"  Jon Paul Sigmarsson

Didn't he die while deadlifting for the ultimate irony?
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2015, 01:53:53 PM »

Jon Pall*
Yes, he did at his gym in Iceland.  Still a legend
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 122
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements