August 24, 2019, 09:25:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Carry on Regardless  (Read 10785 times)
SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR 5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 01:11:30 PM »

bit belated but welcome Gazz
Dan94

BulkPowders referral code http://referme.to/efed29

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 01:25:17 PM »

Nice weight on the underhands. How do you find you get on with these? I've tried underhand before but it just felt awkward and felt more bicep's taking over than back so just use overhand all the time now

Hi Dan

Touch wood the underhands are fine. I suffered from pretty bad golfers elbow which took several years to burn out. During that time I couldn't do any underhand work. Now though I'm good with underhands and they are very much part of my back arsenal. I don't really feel them on biceps, tend to concentrate on working the back muscle with a good "hold" at the chest on each rep. I don't use too much weight so don't need to lean back ridiculously in the way that I often see these performed. I use a 6X6 scheme at the minute with very short rest periods which again reduces the amount of weight required to do the job for me (with my history of injuries I'm all about joint protection).

Also I use a bar which is kind of the equivalent of a very slightly cambered EZ curl bar. Again this takes the strain off the joints (especially wrists), and allows me to concentate on the muscle being worked.

Hope this helps
Gazz

Makes sense mate cheers, may try them again soon
Gazz

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 01:26:01 PM »

bit belated but welcome Gazz
Belated but very much appreciated.
Thanks Scott

Gazz
Gazz

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 09:14:17 AM »

Date 24.8.16

Upper 3      
Close Grip Parallell Pulldown   63 3/4 Kg
DB Lateral Raise   7 1/3   Kg
Parallel close grip Seated Rows   63 3/4 Kg
Technpgym Bench Press Machine   70 Kg
Tricep Pressdown   56 1/4 Kg
Machine Preachers   20 Kg

All exercises performed 6X6 with constant weight: Gymboss Settng 60 seconds.
Workout Time 36 minutes

Struggled through this one a bit. Not really in the mood this morning, but registered slight weight increases on all exercises. Lateral raises still very light in weight, but very difficult and sometimes a bit niggly in execution due to shoulder tear, but 6 months ago simply couldn't do them at all so I'll stick with it for the time being.

Getting really frustrated with the knee. Its still very painful so means I can't train legs. It was even sore today when doing pulley rows.

So the good news, despite my diet being crap, I'm actually heading in the right direction. My progress gauge is very simple, I measure my arms, calves and waist. So long as the latter is heading in the opposite direction (downward) to the former, I'm happy. Since beginning of June I've knocked an inch off    the waist and added 1/4 inch on the arms. Still a lot to do on the waist size and probably an element of muscle memory, but at 58 I'll take it.

Gazz    
Turpin

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 09:20:23 AM »

Current training block entails 6 sets of 6 reps with a constant weight and constant rest time. I am manipulating both weight increases and rest times to increase training density (Gironda ish). I simply set the gymboss timer to six sets and will begin each set at the top of the required period. So today I started each set at intervals of 45 seconds, which gives me about 25-30 seconds to do the exercise and 15-20 seconds rest (depending on exercise chosen, ROM etc). I rotate 3 different sets of exercises (workouts) for each bodypart.

Gazz

Super method , too many confuse density with intensity and go too hard resulting in less overall work/volume losing the desired cumulative fatigue effect .

T. 
Gazz

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2016, 11:54:22 AM »

Thanks Turpin

Yeah the method is simple but provides variation, intensity and density. A big bonus is that I know exactly what my workout time will be on any given day. I've also done this in the past with 6X8, 6X10 and 6X12 done in the same fashion. I find that psychologically I cope with the lower rep ranges, the thought of 6X12 in 6 minutes with (what to me is) a challenging weight is daunting. The feeling at the end of such a workout however is compensation. No doubt I'll move back to higher reps in a later training block.

Gazz
Gazz

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2016, 10:59:55 AM »

Have not trained legs for about 6 weeks due to problem on inside of the knee still to be diagnosed. The knee is painful all day and during the night. My work does it no favours (retail warehouse based, on feet all day, some days walking 5 miles per shift according to stepper on phone including up and down ladders).

However decided to have a play this morning and start to establish what I can do rather than what I can't. So with much trepidation thought I'd try a few LIGHT leg extns and leg curls. Also did some seated calf raises. Was tempted to try adduction/abduction and leg press but lets not push it too far as these are the movements planes which I think could present problems.

Technogym Leg Extn 25Kg
Technogym Leg Curl  35Kg
Seated leverage Calf Raise  25Kg
Technogym Crunch  30Kg
Hyperextn Bodyweight

All done 6 sets of 6 except hypers whch were 6X7
Gymboss setting 60 seconds
Workout time 30 minutes

I'll see what the reaction is over the next day or two.

Gazz
Gazz

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2016, 10:56:15 AM »

Date 28.8.16

Todays workout

Upper 1      
Paralell Technogym Pulldown   65Kg
Technogym Para Shoulder Press   40Kg
Overhand Seated Rows   65Kg
Incline D/B Press   26Kg
Rope Pushdown   45Kg
Pinwheel curls   10Kg

All exercises 6 sets of 6 reps, constant weight
Gymboss Settng 50 seconds
Workout time 30 mnutes      

I was due to work out yesterday but didn't feel great so put off til this morning. However still felt lousy this morning but pushed ahead with workout. Really struggled with weights and the pace of the workout. Completed everything as prescribed except incline dumbell press which I got 5 out of the six sets. Rest time was reduced from 55 seconds last time I did this workout (with these weights), but I also managed to slightly increase weight on shoulder press and triceps pressdowns.

All in all, a good session given the circumstances.

Gazz
Gazz

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2016, 10:20:43 AM »

Date 30.8.16

Upper 2      
Underhand Pulldown   56 1/4 Kg
D/B Shoulder Press   19 1/3 Kg
Straight Arm Pulldown   26 1/4 Kg
Technogym Pec Dec   46 1/4 Kg
Close Grip Bench Press   67 1/2 Kg
Pinwheel Curls   10 Kg

Gymboss Settng 45 seconds
All done 6 sets of 6 reps constant weight
Workout tie <30 minutes

Quick workout before work this morning. Trained on empty stomach, felt strong. Slight weight increase on all exercses compared to last tie I did this workout at 45 second gymboss setting.

Going to start a few supplements (creatine, whey, BCAAs) this week and thinking about doing a few weeks of IF dieting starting with a 16/8 split, but feedng time may gradually be reduced to 6 hrs, we'll see how it goes.

Gazz

Gazz

Gazz

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2016, 08:22:23 AM »

Date 31.8.16

Technogym Leg extn   25       Kg
Technogym Leg Curl   35       Kg
Seated Leverage CR   25       Kg
Technogym Adductor   35       Kg
Hyper   Extn      BW
Technogym Crunch   30       Kg

Gymboss Setting 45 secs
All exercises for 6 sets of 6 reps (except hyperextn 6X7)

So basically repeated leg session of 25.8.16, but upped the ante a bit reducing Gymboss setting from 60 seconds to 45 seconds so considerably increasing density of work done I also added Adductors just to see how my knee reacted to this exercise.

Overall the knee seems to cope better in the gym than with day to day activities, walking, steps, stairs , even sitting and sleeping. I need to take it very slowly and plan is to add possibly one different exercise each session and look for a reaction, good or bad.

I'm booked in to see someone next Thursday and am hoping for a referral to get an MRI as I believe the problem revolves around the meniscus, possibly torn. Knowing the NHS, I'll not hold my breath

Gazz
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements