July 19, 2019, 06:48:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: juggling marathon/wendlers..help..!!  (Read 2321 times)
egg-custard

« on: February 27, 2015, 04:03:39 PM »

any advice on how I can cope with the next few weeks

today I realised how tough juggling a marathon training plan with my wendlers strength routine and working nights will be

today I ran 16.5 miles  on achy legs after racing in the brighton half marathon last weekend
I did my wendler sets this week but came a bit of a cropper this afternoon as it was squat day
after walking the 1/2 mile uphill to the gym..i was knackered but went ahead with the required sets
6/6/6+
of added plate weight...50kg..55kg and 62.5 kg
last week I repped out 14 reps of this weight..today I only managed the required 6 reps..ooh
after that I left the gym pondering on how to approach the next few weeks before the marathon
I don't want to loose muscle...at the same time I want to complete my marathon training

any advice please folks..eggy
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 10:31:59 AM »

To be completely honest I think you need to pick a focus for the next month, is it marathon or weights? I think the two can complement each other but they are a little at odds, so you need to make one a primary focus and do the other as a support - not as a conflicting battle for your time and energy.

If you want to do the marathon I think you have to train with that as your focus, accept any muscle loss that may come (I doubt much will at this stage, and you'll soon bounce back once you're back in the gym).

Personally - having done marathons and done weights - I can't imagine training heavy weights in the past few weeks of marathon training. My energy just wouldn't be there and I know it would impact on recovery/taper and on marathon day itself.

Also eggy don't forget it'll take your legs and entire system a while to recover properly from the 26.2 so take it steady and ease back in to other demanding training. The gym will be waiting for you, it's not going anywhere Smiley Good luck.
egg-custard

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 02:12:11 PM »

thanks...I appreciated it nic......

im trying to eat more  complex carbs...but feel my protein intake is suffering a bit..
drinking to many shakes gives me wind...and bloating....
ive been eating lamb and steak..rather than chicken at the moment..mainly for the fats..
im pleased with my muscle gains over the last year..
my legs have got no bigger is this time..but are so much stronger...making my legs endure more running...but they seem to have slimmed a bit..not fat loss but got hard and tighter

hope once the marathon is done..il be a far better in the gym...is bulking then the way to go..?
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 06:39:31 PM »

I don't know - what are your goals? I'm not sure "bulking" as such is ever necessary (if by that you mean significant weight gain and calorie increase) but, sure, if you want to get bigger and stronger than a focus on "not losing weight" can't hurt Smiley
egg-custard

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 06:44:52 PM »

I don't know - what are your goals? I'm not sure "bulking" as such is ever necessary (if by that you mean significant weight gain and calorie increase) but, sure, if you want to get bigger and stronger than a focus on "not losing weight" can't hurt Smiley

just really to gain back the muscle..but as you say it might not be much....ive deffo tightened in the last few weeks...hopefully that's what my perceived loss is

great advice thanks......eggy
fhwill

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 10:42:19 PM »

I don't think you'll lose any muscle if you cut your weights sessions down/change focus to focus on the marathon, unless you carry on trying to have your cake and eat it in doing Wendlers AND Marathon programme  Wink
Maybe change your training for now to something less demanding than Wendler as the Marathon approaches. As Nic said, the gym will be there for you after the Marathon  Wink
egg-custard

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 06:16:00 PM »

12 days to go to the marathon now..it has been really hard getting in my long runs...but ive done them now  22 miles last Friday was the last long run before the taper period..ive leaned out a fair bit my muscles are hard..but size seems to have dewindled a bit..along with some stength...but to be fair ive done very little weight training in the last month..but will get back to it after the marathon...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements