June 23, 2018, 09:33:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
 BULK POWDERS
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: powerlifting observations  (Read 6870 times)
Glen Danbury

fuelled by EQ nutrition

WWW Email
« on: March 03, 2015, 11:32:35 PM »

so single lift just complete and BDFPA full power in just under four weeks.

some of the things I noticed which made me think "hmm"

*belts for benching raw - why?
* odd things people do to psyche themselves up/prelift rituals
* everyone loves a chalky hand clap
*powerlifters are as vain as bodybuilders - why else gorgo a tshirt you have been wearing all day when deadlifting comes around

anything I have missed? Smiley
HelenS

WNBF Pro, 2012 WNBF Overall World Champion

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 11:53:52 PM »

In the light of the current social media discussions -

* Even more inter-fed politics that natural bodybuilding  Grin
* You have to be aware of even more that what is on the WADA list, in particular anti-doping rules include rules that prevent you from joining un-tested organisations or even supporting friends that lift in un-tested organisations!

Monbeef

Author of The Tower Grave - available on Amazon!

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 06:08:34 AM »

I agree with those Helen!

Glen, I thought that! I love a chalky hand slap. The dust cloud is wonderful. But the t-shirt! Lol. Absolutely no reason to take it off just to deadlift at all. It doesn't help in the slightest surely?! I saw loads of it.

I was actually frightened of one girl being slapped about before she lifted. The kid literally beat the crap out of her shoulders before she squatted and she roared! My mate asked me if I wanted a slap and I just said there's no way I could live up to her!

The bench belts, I'm not sure. I never have, but the fella who got 228 and won the u125 bench, forget his name, he was talking to me and he said his back hurts if he doesn't. Nice chap. Said his lifting was going wrong, put it on and it all came back. Maybe it's so that you can expand against it like we do with the other lifts. Tension stuff.

There were some bodies there that didn't look overly clean if I'm honest. They may well have been and some were established lifters so probably were, and they're elite so genetically gifted as well. But some were just too big to comprehend. Particularly in the 125kg cat.
Glen Danbury

fuelled by EQ nutrition

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 06:57:16 AM »

who knows james - can't see it myself but thete we go.

also only sport where your underwear could bar you from competing?
Badger

To press a lot, you must press a lot. -Sheiko

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 07:41:18 AM »

I have been discussing this at length and have come to the conclusion that taking the t-shirt off must unleash some kind of adrenal charge when combined with a singlet.

Georgie is particularly pissed about it, why should men be allowed to lift without a T on and women are not? Just another instance of rampant sexism in sport 😘

Regarding the psych ups there is as a rule within the book that states that people are not allowed to head butt the bar..says it all really lol

For women I understand that the bra must be of a design that is unable to stand up unassisted when placed on a table...

At last years Worlds the amount of face slapping went a bit far, one young lad in my class was essentially a victim of an assault as the he 60 year old coach proceeded to pimp slap him senseless.
SuperSi

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 12:24:54 PM »

Ha ha, I was a bit confused with the whole t-shirt off thing at my first comp. I knew you could do that, but I couldn't think why anyone would.

To make it worse, someone who was the most blatant gear user I've ever seen at a tested comp took his t-shirt off for the deads. Literally didn't give a f**k that it made it even more obvious.
Trow

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 02:04:13 PM »

*belts for benching raw - why?

I wondered this for awhile, but then the purpose of a belt is essentially to increase stability and tightness through increasing core activation, thus helping to keep the spine neutral and in a stronger position. Presumably, wearing a belt benching similarly aids keeping tight and keeping an arch (or would it interfere with arching?). Never done it myself, anyone else here bench with a belt?

To make it worse, someone who was the most blatant gear user I've ever seen at a tested comp took his t-shirt off for the deads. Literally didn't give a f**k that it made it even more obvious.

Was the atmosphere a bit more subdued when he was lifting then if everyone suspected he was cheating?
Glen Danbury

fuelled by EQ nutrition

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 06:23:55 PM »

there's no way I could arch in a 4 inch belt! smaller belt maybe
Badger

To press a lot, you must press a lot. -Sheiko

Email
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 07:21:03 PM »

I think it was Titan I was looking on..they do a 2 inch "bench" belt.

Going to get one..at last I have found the thing that has been holding me back from those big numbers  Grin
Monbeef

Email
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 07:58:35 PM »

Do it Dave, its the key!

I don't think I could arch in one either. I can barely do anything in one. Pinches my belly when I squat and bruises my hips when I deadlift! don't know if I'm doing it wrong but finally feels right even though it hurts.

Yeah I agree, Glen. I'm not alleging, just found a couple of them almost incomprehensible.
Rossdog

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 08:10:23 PM »

I haven't read any of this but today in the gym some stupid powerlifter pissed me dom and Juddy off cos it took him 1 hour 20 mins to do 8 sets of 3 squats! Completely hogged the squat rack in what wAs the most pointless gym session I have ever seen!
That's my powerlifting observation !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glen Danbury

fuelled by EQ nutrition

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 08:31:50 PM »

I haven't read any of this but today in the gym some stupid powerlifter pissed me dom and Juddy off cos it took him 1 hour 20 mins to do 8 sets of 3 squats! Completely hogged the squat rack in what wAs the most pointless gym session I have ever seen!
That's my powerlifting observation !

you.mean you bodybuilders gravitated away from leg extensiins and quarter rep leg pressses Wink Smiley
Rossdog

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 08:48:33 PM »

Yeahhhh 😂😂😂

Monbeef

Email
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 06:45:34 AM »

Lol
SuperSi

Email
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 03:30:28 PM »

Was the atmosphere a bit more subdued when he was lifting then if everyone suspected he was cheating?

It went from everyone cheering and supporting to an awkward silence - people almost didn't know where to look. It was that blatant.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements