July 19, 2019, 06:54:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Chicken Legs  (Read 4126 times)
eddias

aiming for under 10%

« on: July 20, 2015, 11:26:15 AM »

I sadly fell in the trap in my youth of skipping leg day, I could blame it on the boxing training but the fact remains I skipped leg day. I have been playing catch up for years. Since I seriously got back into training just over a year ago I have been attempting to reverse this by training legs hard once or twice a week depending on my program and hitting them with different rep ranges, sets and exercises.
I have noticed improvement and got newbie gains to the point that I will wear a pair of shorts, but compared to the top half my legs still look puny. anyone been there and can say they managed to get a decent set of Wheels?, so many pictures of body transformations showing the top half but when you google legs you get no truthful images of chicken legs to tree trunks. I know they are the largest muscle group and stubborn buggers but I want to establish whether it is actually possible to put on some real size and how long it took them.
fstsven

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 02:07:32 PM »

My legs where like toothpicks when I started training, really ridiculous. Started training them heavy with basic movements (squats, leg press, hack squat) for 10-12 working sets per week and now they're pretty decent. Due to my small bone structure I'll never have outright big legs, but I have prominent outer sweep on the quads, good "teardrop" development on the inside and nice separation and vascularity. I'm also lucky to hold no fat whatsoever on my
legs (don't be jealous, it's all lower back with me  Grin) Train them hard, basic and consistently, and they will grow!
eddias

aiming for under 10%

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 02:42:31 PM »

That's encouraging Fst I will keep at it, just very frustrating when you put in ton of effort and get nothing back compared to half hearted shoulder workout where you can actually see the bodypart grow. Yep come to the conclusion fat sits different on everyone I suffer with the standard love handle and fat on the thighs 
K_Dogs

DOMS makes you feel alive....

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 05:18:12 PM »

Try every leg exercise you can find, to name a few....

Front squat
Back squat
Hack squat
Zercher squat
Belt squat
Leg press
Bulgarian split squats
Lunges
Pistol squat
Leg extensions
Ham curls
Stiff leg deadlifts
Calf raises
Calf donkey raises
Sumo deadlift
Deadlift

The list goes on, I agree that the basics work, but try to find what works for you and returns growth, reading that someone else grew on back squats alone doesn't mean you'll get the same.
Turpin

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 05:47:13 PM »

If you want to `build` the legs then train them with targeted exercise and don't fall for the `you must squat  ` mindset.  You wouldn't find the bench press suffice for tricep development , or Lat pulldown optimal for the biceps , similarly the quads and hamstrings require better stimulus than the heavy resistance that can heaved about ( with primary strength by the pelvis ) that the squat has to offer.  If strength and performance is your aim then the back or front squat is hard to beat , but look more to hacks and sissy squats for direct stimulus to the quads and you will realise better thighs as a result.

Barbell sissy squat :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzMee0HqO08

Barbell hack squat : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWDp9jObkLo

T.

eddias

aiming for under 10%

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 08:11:52 PM »

Thanks for the input and vids, loving the barbell hack squat, I normally do those on the machine but will have a go on the barbell. Sissy squats scare the crap out of me, but I do keep attempting them. Only time I get a true pump in my quads is with Bulgarian splits and front squat.
Glen Danbury

fuelled by EQ nutrition

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 08:16:27 PM »

i feel slightly cheeky answering this as my legs respong well to training - maybe its because I love training legs or maybe its because they respond that I love training them.

anyway the point I was going to add is larger bodyparts often are harder to see the gains than smaller bodyparts as an ounce of muscle spread over a bigger muscle is less obvious - keep the enthusiasm and keep the effort going. in time they will come.
eddias

aiming for under 10%

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 06:58:44 AM »

Thanks Glen, I actually have come to love legs day as well, was just getting a little demotivated with work versus results. Will keep plugging away as was pointed out they are better than they were and Rome was not built in a day.
K_Dogs

DOMS makes you feel alive....

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 12:14:44 PM »

I've never seen Hack squats with heels elevated (obviously didn't read Vince's stuff thoroughly enough). Will try these tomorrow after Bulgarian splits  Lips sealed
Thanks in advance for the pain Turpin!
SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR 5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 01:09:04 PM »

I have to say i'm very lucky that my legs grow really well. However they grew the best and got the biggest when i did 20 reppers each week and added weight each time they grew like crazy
eddias

aiming for under 10%

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 04:27:40 PM »

Hello Scot, do you mean the 20 rep Squat ( 20 reps all in one go, with the weight off your 1 max rep with a slow and steady increase of weight per time you do it?
I did try that for about a 6 week period, made some major strength gains, but growth was minimal which yes i know is damn odd. might take a go again as my squatting form has improved a lot with all the practice.
SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR 5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
Re:
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 05:07:11 PM »

It was 20 reps all in one go. Something like 100kg and then add weight each week but still get 20 reps. Mentally very hard

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk
eddias

aiming for under 10%

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 12:01:59 PM »

yep I did do that, and you are right its a mental challenge, I would think about it all day before I even got to the gym. I got strong in relation to my size and weight managing a 140kg(including bar) but leg growth was minimal. I am going to split out Quads one day, and hams another day with a couple of cross over exercises including the exercises mentioned above. Hack squat with a barbell looks interesting so will add that into the workout. Again thanks for all your feedback its greatly appreciated.

ben-howard

WNBF Pro

Email
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 03:33:21 PM »

i havnt got amazing leg mass by any standard but my legs really started growing when i upped my volume, and used sub maximal weights (so my technique is always spot on) strength came quicker too, i used to do 2 sets of 2-3 exercises for legs, i now do about 5 sets per exercise, heavy weights, lowish reps, and they are growing MUCH quicker, high rep work also works very well with legs, but for multiple sets- as a beginer 20 rep squats work very well as you can recover from doing it 3 or so times per week, as strength improves it gets much harder to recover

ben
eddias

aiming for under 10%

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 09:27:48 PM »

thks Ben, my leg routine is on a 3 week cycle
Week 1 5 x 8 squats, 5 x 10 leg press 5 x 12 alternate lunges for quads, superset leg curls with lying leg curls 5 x 15/15
week 2 4 x 8 front squats, 4 x 10 Bulgarian splits, 4 x 15 one leg press ( per leg), DB walking lunge 4 x 15 per leg finished with duck walk there and back to the dumbbells.
Week 3 3 x 10 squats, 3 x 12 leg press, 3 x 15 leg curl, 3 x 15 lying leg curl, 12/10/8/6 front squats, 3 x 12 bodyweight sissy squats

I do hams on a separate day along with Calves, runs on the same style of cycle 5 sets, 4 sets, 3 sets increasing the exercise week on week.
Going to swap to pre- exhausting the quads with leg curls at the beginning of a workout and incorporate hack squats.

Any thoughts on the above, I always feel I am not doing enough, I do chuck in a finishing exercise, hack squat on the machine, or smith machine legs together squat if I have the time.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements