January 20, 2019, 07:50:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Dan's Progress Journal  (Read 45935 times)
Dan94

BulkPowders referral code http://referme.to/efed29

« on: August 11, 2015, 05:29:30 PM »

Hey there!  Grin

Pretty new on the forum, so I'll start with a little intro.

I am 21 years old and im 5"7. My goals are to lose the fat I have put on whilst being unable to exercise (will come to that later), and then once lean, hopefully add good muscle mass without too much fat. I used to post on UK-M, but as a natty it doesn't really help much as its basically 99% steroid users and steroid talk. For me, I have no goals to compete, I just want to "get in shape" and look better than the average guy, so being along fellow natty's felt like it would be much better in terms of pics for motivation of what is achievable natty, and also training tips. Smiley

I first started taking an interest into lifting through my Grandad when I was around 13/14, when he bought me a weight lifting set and bench from Argos. I started watching videos on YouTube at the age of 14/15, and was particularly interested in "Scooby1961", and began using his teen workout routine.

My goal was always to become more fit and to 'tone up' and define my muscles so I felt more confident about my body, for example when I take my top off at the beach or in the pool.. I was never obese, but never been lean either. This was before I absorbed all the information about nutrition and proper routines etc.

I've never worked out at a gym before, as I used to workout at home for a few years, inconsistently and slightly naive as mentioned earlier, skipping workouts when I got home from college. In February 2013, I started working out at my Grandads house where he has a spare room which has been turned into a mini gym so to speak with a dumbell set, barbell set and a bench, along with a 'spotter' type equipment you can see here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003UU66M8/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=5336432705-21

From Feb until the Summer I followed 5x5 Stronglifts routine, as I wanted to try something different. I got good strength gains on this program, but after the 12 weeks I reverted back to the bodybuilding routine which I had put together.

After dieting for a while, I noticed the 'fat' on my chest wasn't going, and after various research, doctors appointments etc for around a year.. I realised it was something called gynaecomastia / 'gyno'. After researching in the UK (I got palmed off numerous times by the NHS, useless), I realised the surgery for this was going to cost 4k-6k privately. I then heard of a place in Belgium which could do it for 2300, alot of money but significantly cheaper, and better still they had a proper office in London where you could meet the surgeon for a consultation beforehand. Long story short, I had the operation in Belgium in April, and was out of lifting for 2 months. Fast forward to June, where I can start lifting again, after a few weeks I have an accident whilst squatting, and sprain/tendon damage in my wrist (thought it was broken at the time). Haven't lifted since then (happened around 8th July).

I then ordered some running gear as I'm currently cutting and need to improve my fitness, as sitting on my arse for 2 months eating junk food whilst recovering from surgery hasn't helped my goals! Day after it arrives, I get a bloody horsefly bite on my ankle, which blows up massively and could barely walk on it. Down to walk in centre, and on antibiotics for 1 week.

So HOPEFULLY I'll be back lifting/running soon, with a bit of luck!  Roll Eyes Cheesy

Just thought I'd create a journal for when the time comes, and also so you get to know a little bit about me as I'm new. Smiley

Also, a random fact about me.. I used to do a Korean Martial Arts called "Kuk Sool Won" which I reached Black Belt in, which I am extremely proud of! Smiley

My 1 rep max's currently stand at:

Deadlift - 165KG
Bench - 100KG
Squat - 130KG

Anyway, thanks for reading,.. didn't except it to be this long! Grin
egg-custard

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 05:38:19 PM »

hi..welcome I look forward to following your journey and progress...

life sucks sometimes...see my journal as to my luck recently..but we get through it and train in anyway we can..if one body part is out of action train another..no need to sit and ponder
body weight.. home exercise on body parts that are ok.. is what keeps me going forward if the gym is out

I to am a runner..marathons etc...and inter mingle  my training again to suit

good luck  you can achieve your goals will a little out of the box thinking and a willingness to succeed

eggy
Dan94

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 07:43:01 PM »

Cheers eggy Smiley

Wrist is feeling a lot better, only been 5 weeks since injury roughly and I believe 6 weeks is normal for bad sprains.. thinking of trying to lift again not this Saturday, but the following Saturday.

Hopefully go for a run next week too when ankle bite has cleared up.
Dan94

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 03:38:06 PM »

Wrist looks to be healing up, quite weird as in when I bend it forward I still get a pain in my little finger bone on the top of my hand, but will train Saturday and see how it goes. So frustrating being unable to, especially when cutting!

As I lift 3 times a week, debating whether to go for for a A & B style FBW workout routine so AxBxxAx / BxAxxBx over 2 weeks.

Or, a split with Chest&Back, Shoulders&Arms&Legs over 3 times a week.

What'd you think guys?
Dan94

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 08:26:47 PM »

Currently cutting on 2,000 cals with 300 cals worth of exercise per day. Whether this is weightlifting, stationary bike or jogging in the morning.

25 minutes done on the bike today, legs and bum still very sore from 15 miles cycling through thetford forest lol. Will do another 25 minutes tomorrow morning then HOPE to train on Saturday 😊
SuperSi

Email
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 09:21:06 AM »

Wrist looks to be healing up, quite weird as in when I bend it forward I still get a pain in my little finger bone on the top of my hand, but will train Saturday and see how it goes. So frustrating being unable to, especially when cutting!

As I lift 3 times a week, debating whether to go for for a A & B style FBW workout routine so AxBxxAx / BxAxxBx over 2 weeks.

What'd you think guys?

Personally, I'd go A&B for 3x week. It'll give you the added frequency, which will also have neural benefit (which is beneficial after injury).
Dan94

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 11:07:26 AM »

What'd you think guys?

Personally, I'd go A&B for 3x week. It'll give you the added frequency, which will also have neural benefit (which is beneficial after injury).

Cheers for the post mate😊

Wouldn't it be be same frequency as a split? Each workout would still be hit 2x every 7 days, I guess it's just personal preference over FBW or split?
SuperSi

Email
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 12:27:43 PM »

Ah, I misread. I thought you meant Shoulders & Arms one day and Legs another. Shl/Arms/Legs is a lot in one session - it'd depend on how much time you have and how much volume you intend on doing for each body part.
Dan94

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 01:40:53 PM »

Ah, I misread. I thought you meant Shoulders & Arms one day and Legs another. Shl/Arms/Legs is a lot in one session - it'd depend on how much time you have and how much volume you intend on doing for each body part.

I usually do 3 exercises for chest and back, then 2 for shoulders, 1 for bi, 1 for tri and then squats for legs... so could probably work?

I think I'll write something up over the weekend and post it here and see what you think if that's cool. As first session back tomorrow, I'll probably just throw some stuff together and see what feels comfortable.
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 01:03:37 PM »

Like Si says, I'd put legs with a smaller muscle on a separate day. Too much else. I'd struggle to give 100% on them all otherwise. Plus, the cycling would be taxing!
Dan94

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 02:06:12 PM »

Like Si says, I'd put legs with a smaller muscle on a separate day. Too much else. I'd struggle to give 100% on them all otherwise. Plus, the cycling would be taxing!

I do cardio on my rest days mate. 3 x cardio a week and 3 x weights a week😊 I'll probably put something together over the weekend

Today's little workout, just a little to get back into the movement after injury...

Bench Press
40 x 10
40 x 10
40 x 10
50 x 10
50 x 10
50 x 10

EZ Curls
20 x 10
20 x 10
20 x 10

Wrist felt good so should get back into it properly soon👍🏼
Dan94

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 05:40:14 PM »

Last night:

Bench Press
40 x 12
40 x 12
50 x 10
50 x 10
50 x 10

DB Flyes (ultra slow form to get back into it)
12 x 10
12 x 10
12 x 10

Tri Extensions
10 x 10
10 x 10

EZ Curls
25 x 10
25 x 10

I also tried some DB shoulder press which was a massive shock as to how much harder it is using DB's compared to the BB, I knew it was harder due to stabiliser muscles being involved more but I can usually do 37KG for reps on BB but was struggling to grind out reps on 12KG each hand! Might try them more...

I'm at a music festival all this weekend, so starting next Wednesday I'll be starting up a proper routine. Thinking of something likeee...

A - Chest/Back
Deadlifts
Bench Press
Bench Rows
DB Flys
Wide Push Ups
INSERT BACK MOVEMENT HERE

B - Legs/Shoulders/Arms
Squats
Calf Raises
OHP
Rear Delt Rows
Tri Extensions
EZ Bar Curls

Alternating each time on a Monday, Wednesday & Saturday, so each workout twice every 7 days so each muscle hit every 7 days twice.

What'd you all think?
Dan94

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 08:17:01 PM »

Sooo the music festival was insane  Grin

Think my stomach has shrunk though, barely ate all weekend as constant drinking just fills you up, plus prices are ridiculous! Struggling to eat atm, which isn't exactly a bad thing when you're cutting Cheesy

I usually cut during Summer then bulk during Winter, but I always put on too much fat during my bulk, so my aim now is to carry on cutting until I'm happy, then slowly lean bulk. That way, I hopefully will never have to do a long arse cut ever again. CUTTING SUCKS! Sad

Starting Saturday I'll be following the routine I posted above starting with Legs/Shoulders/Arms. Smiley

Any ideas for the missing back exercise on the A routine guys?
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 12:54:10 PM »

Chins? DB rows?
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 02:05:18 PM »

Pull ups, DB rows, bent over barbell rows, plate/DB pull overs, seated row, T-bar row... ?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements