July 21, 2019, 01:49:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you stay lean?  (Read 9483 times)
Dan94

BulkPowders referral code http://referme.to/efed29

« on: August 21, 2015, 06:32:24 PM »

Hi guys

Just wanting to get some insight from fellow lifters on here - how do you manage to stay lean (not contest prep lean lol!) year round?

Whenever I cut for the Summer, then go into a +500 calorie surplus to bulk, I always put on too much fat and end up doing a big ass cut from around March till Summer. I've heard some people say +200 surplus is the ideal point for natural's to gain muscle at a good speed without the excess turning to fat, but I've always gone with +500 as I've wanted to maximise the muscle building, which evidently has been too much!

What about you guys? Smiley
Groovemaster

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 06:45:59 PM »

Im not as clued up as most on here but I always get told 'slow and steady' when it comes to lean bulking naturally. My tdee is around 2800 and im on a super clean steady bulk at 3090 and putting a pound maybe a little more on a week with no cardio and not putting any visible fat on. Maybe up your workout intensity to burn a few extra cals? I rarely leave more than a minute between sets

Also, stick your current diet up it may be helpfull
Dan94

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 07:50:50 PM »

I'm currently cutting mate, but was just wondering for when I start bulking😊 I use IIFYM/Flexible dieting so my diet changes day to day
fstsven

Email
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 12:17:14 PM »

I had the same problem in my previous bulk (500 kcal surplus) and gained muscle yes, but I also got fatter than I would like. Now I'm back at a decent bodyfat level I'm going to give it another go, but with a smaller surplus: 150 kcal to start with, closely monitor my weight (I weigh myself every day at the same time, then take the weekly average and based on that, I will have a weekly evaluation whether I adjust up or down in small 150 kcal increments). I aim to gain between 150 and 350g every four weeks, so 40-90g a week. If I gain less I will up calories, if a gain more I will adjust down. In theory, that should allow me to gain quality mass slowly while staying lean. Sounds like a decent plan?
Dan94

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 07:41:42 PM »

I had the same problem in my previous bulk (500 kcal surplus) and gained muscle yes, but I also got fatter than I would like. Now I'm back at a decent bodyfat level I'm going to give it another go, but with a smaller surplus: 150 kcal to start with, closely monitor my weight (I weigh myself every day at the same time, then take the weekly average and based on that, I will have a weekly evaluation whether I adjust up or down in small 150 kcal increments). I aim to gain between 150 and 350g every four weeks, so 40-90g a week. If I gain less I will up calories, if a gain more I will adjust down. In theory, that should allow me to gain quality mass slowly while staying lean. Sounds like a decent plan?

Report back how you get on Smiley
fstsven

Email
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 08:04:09 PM »

Will do   Wink
SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR 5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 01:21:22 PM »

I have to say off season most of us get around 10kg over contest weight and how lean , or not you look is a lot to do with your body type. Without trying I seem to gain weight and look soft but others struggle to pack on mass.

We are different so I guess you just have to try not to get to fat and take the muscle while it's coming. However I certainly don't advocate these massive bulks where people pig out and think it's muscle.
Damon Eaton

Damon "The Truth" Eaton. Free Agent.

Email
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 05:26:19 PM »

Staying lean isnt for Natty BBers imo.

Already 12kg over stage weight 2 months later lol. I can see it being plenty higher by Xmas.
K_Dogs

DOMS makes you feel alive....

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 01:13:02 PM »

Up to 10kg for me too, but I'm not naturally a big eater. The reality is that your muscle mass largely dictates your calorie requirements. Want to eat more? Then you need to build more muscle Grin

You should be able to find your drop, maintain and gain calories by making a 200kcal diet change at a time. I think that 500kcal is too much of a shock.
Dan94

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 07:22:39 PM »

Staying lean isnt for Natty BBers imo.

Already 12kg over stage weight 2 months later lol. I can see it being plenty higher by Xmas.

What'd you class as lean though? To me, 10-12% is still lean, I just don't mean blowing up
Glen Danbury

fuelled by EQ nutrition

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 11:01:33 AM »

swings and roundabouts - simonstevens and steve howarth are pretty lean all year round and making good gains still.

for a smaller bodybuilder (u80kg) would state being 5-7kg over non dehydrated comp weight is a sweet spot. 10-12kg for bigger guys.

got to look at it this way. if your 70kg at comp condition (6-7%). being 10kg over this is putting you up close to 20% BF which is quite high.

in terms of staying lean in my opinion its a combination of good habits and accurate recording - often little detours off plan and add up.
Badger

To press a lot, you must press a lot. -Sheiko

Email
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 11:15:25 AM »

A lot of it depends on what your natural resting weight is when eating normally (ie you don't feel stuffed all the time or hungry). Some people settle at higher bodyfat %'s than others for whatever reason.

As Glen says habits make a big difference, such as weighing your foods and having an idea of what you are consuming each day.

Heaviest I have weigh since last being on stage is 81kg, current weight is a more respectable 77-78kg and my competition weight for BB was always 68-70kg.

Although I have consistently sat around 73-77kg from 2012 to early 2015 and while bodybuilding offseason I was around 77kg so not much change really..

Starting a competition prep I think it leads to good things when you are in a decent position - not needing to lose more than 300-500g a week in order to get into competition shape. This allows you to eat a decent amount of calories to fuel hard training and retain muscle mass by not being in a severe debt.  So for me starting a prep at 76kg and needing to get too 70kg to be in decent condition I would be looking at a minimum of 12 weeks but probably more like 16 when stalling is taken into account.

Can massively overeating stimulate muscle gains that you would not have got from a more moderate calorie excess of say 200-500 cals?

depends on a lot of factors.

Dan94

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 12:16:42 AM »

Following on from this - what's your guys approach when cutting?

Do you like 'mini cuts' which seem the rage at the moment where you do a short sharp cut for say 6 weeks, or do you prefer the longer less harsh cuts for sat 2-3 months pre summer/contest season?
Badger

To press a lot, you must press a lot. -Sheiko

Email
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 05:40:49 AM »

I don't really stay lean, I tend to do what I need to do to get in the weight class in powerlifting and if my body comp is a bit rubbish and doesn't look good that comes secondary to lifting well.

For bodybuilding I just prefer to be at a weight where i can train well even if it means no abs etc. Then do whats needed for competition (i.e. hold onto as much muscle as possible while becoming as fat free as possible).

I think getting too caught up in it doesn't do many people too many favours. I think really you have to either have the goal of getting stronger or getting sharper and then dedicate yourself to it and when you have got to where you want to be switch to the other end of the spectrum to keep it fun.
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 12:05:55 PM »

I don't LOL! I get pretty fat, happy, and strong. Then when I want to get lean again I have to work hard for a long time.

The alternative would be to work moderately hard (to stay leaner) all the time.... and then still work bloody hard (just for less time).

I choose life! Wink

Who knows what's optimal. All I know is that when I'm fat and off-season, I am strong and I train well and I make lots of progress in training.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements