May 25, 2019, 02:34:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 50
  Print  
Author Topic: Chronicles of the physique culturist ...  (Read 145378 times)
DDG

Email
« on: October 17, 2015, 05:39:15 AM »

So, it's been a little more than two years since I left the forum and ended my long-running journal. In that time I've competed twice and won twice, the latter of which was last weekend at the UKDFBA championships in Leamington, where I prevailed in the U68kg open men's class. I thought it would be nice to share some of the photos from this competition and so I'll start with comparisons of the entire class.

[attachment expired]
DDG

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 05:42:18 AM »

[attachment expired]
DDG

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 05:46:53 AM »

[attachment expired]
DDG

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 05:51:31 AM »

[attachment expired]
DDG

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 05:54:50 AM »

[attachment expired]
DDG

Email
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 06:06:25 AM »

[attachment expired]
ben-howard

WNBF Pro

Email
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 06:23:02 AM »

You looked very complete dean, totally void of any body fat great balance shape, muscularity and presentation was flawless! Would you say that was your best shape? What's next for you ? How come you didn't compete Sunday?
DDG

Email
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 06:42:22 AM »

You looked very complete dean, totally void of any body fat great balance shape, muscularity and presentation was flawless! Would you say that was your best shape? What's next for you ? How come you didn't compete Sunday?

Thanks Ben. I'll post up some personal ones from my routine later. Would I say that was my best shape? Pretty close if not my best and certainly as good as I can be at 45, approaching 46. These judgements are marginal and so it's always difficult to say - but I think it compares favourably with last year's showing at the BNBF Midlands and before that my showing at the BNBF Northern back in 2003.

There's nothing left for me this year, so I'm resting up. Never say never, I guess in the future. Maybe I'll compete again, maybe I won't. I'm not sure. I don't feel as though there's anything left to prove so ...

I didn't compete on Sunday because Saturday was a very long day. I'd gone 27 hours without carbs when I hit the stage at around 6pm last Saturday night. I hadn't drunk very much water and I'd had only 4 hours sleep. Add all of the that up and it surely equates to fatigue. I was exhausted after the overall and aching from the effort. I couldn't face another day, it was as simple as that. I wanted to go home, eat, sleep, relax and enjoy my Sunday without the pressure of having to perform all over again. Add to that the fact I'd just shown up at my absolute best for where I am now, and there's no where to go from there. It's really that simple.
ben-howard

WNBF Pro

Email
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 09:06:34 AM »

sounds like you gave it your all, and it shows! did you do anything different this year compared to last time? how did you approach your prep?
DDG

Email
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2015, 10:17:15 AM »

sounds like you gave it your all, and it shows! did you do anything different this year compared to last time? how did you approach your prep?

Last time was last year. Very little changed from last year to this year. The biggest change arrived some four years ago when I decided to get back in shape following David Hodson's competitive success. I started dieting in late August of 2011 and then competed later in 2012. In truth, I looked better during late January and early February and then lost some interest. The point, however, is that I never really l slipped from that and have trained and followed a sensible eating plan since that time. The luxury of having my own equipment for three years meant I was able to train virtually daily. I love training and never tire of it, and it helps keep me in shape year round. I don't think I've been above 10st 9lbs in over four years. The other change has been one of personal circumstance. Living alone means I can please myself, eat when I want to eat, train when I want to train and basically be in charge of my own destiny. In the last eighteen months this has made a huge difference, for I have no one to satisfy in this regard but myself. Unfortunately, I sold my gym back in March, but I have since continued to train daily at a local gym.

So, coming into this show I was already lean and already quite light, probably around 10st 2-3lbs. At five weeks out, I decided to knuckle down and eliminate certain foods, including any once weekly meals out. In five weeks I didn't take a day off. I trained my legs right up to the show the last workout being three days out. My last workout was on Thursday, so the only day off I had was the day before I competed (Friday). Diet wise, I gradually began tightening up the closer the competition became. I dieted exclusively on fish, cutting out salmon and mackerel at four weeks out and moving exclusively to cod. I cut out all other veg except broccoli at about three weeks. From here on in, I ate only sweet potato, cod and broccoli, supplemented with oats and whey isolate first thing and some sugar (banana or dates post workout). At a week out, I eliminated oats and whey and reverted to the above. Throughout my preparation I used iBCAAs pre and post workout and in the final week first thing before consuming some cod. In the last eight days, I introduced creatine monohydrate for the first time in over a year and loaded on ten grams a day, five grams pre and post workout, or on certain days when I was weight training and cardio-ing, five grams after each workout.

That's pretty much it. Simple diet and consistent training from a low level of body fat to begin with. In actuality, I lost only around four-five pounds in five weeks at the end.
DDG

Email
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 10:35:33 AM »

Some personal shots ...

[attachment expired]
Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2015, 11:06:30 AM »

Dean it's good to have you back and thanks for sharing the photos. I think this was the best I've seen you and at 45 to equate or even top what you achieved over a decade prior is impressive. Your bodyfat looked very low, from the front the abs/intercostals were deep and etched with well separated quads. From rear there was huge amount of detail in your back from top to bottom, with feathering in your hamstrings. It looks like you were holding good size too. Your posing and routine - as always - was first class.

Well done on the victory. Would have been great to see you battle it out at the International but I can understand why you wouldn't want to do it all over again the following day given the grueling final days' prep you were adhering to. Interesting that you favoured no carbs though?

Was nice talking earlier in the day. I was hoping to catch you after the show but I guess you were already on your way home and looking forward to some food and sleep!
ben-howard

WNBF Pro

Email
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2015, 11:16:08 AM »

wow so really the secret is to stay very lean in the offseason also, i agree, very against the grain to go no carb before the show, worked very well though!  Cool
DDG

Email
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2015, 02:08:11 PM »

Dean it's good to have you back and thanks for sharing the photos. I think this was the best I've seen you and at 45 to equate or even top what you achieved over a decade prior is impressive. Your bodyfat looked very low, from the front the abs/intercostals were deep and etched with well separated quads. From rear there was huge amount of detail in your back from top to bottom, with feathering in your hamstrings. It looks like you were holding good size too. Your posing and routine - as always - was first class.

Well done on the victory. Would have been great to see you battle it out at the International but I can understand why you wouldn't want to do it all over again the following day given the grueling final days' prep you were adhering to. Interesting that you favoured no carbs though?

Was nice talking earlier in the day. I was hoping to catch you after the show but I guess you were already on your way home and looking forward to some food and sleep!

Thanks Jon, I appreciate that, and, yes, it was good to catch up on the day and move forward beyond the past. As mentioned above, I put a lot into it but it probably reflects more tellingly on the consistency with which I've applied myself to training and diet in the last four years and especially in the last two years. Beyond this, I think the preparation has been tighter. So, whereas in the past I might have taken more liberties with cheat meals, puddings, cookies and other such treats, during the last two diets I haven't broken the metronome of discipline. Not even a cheat meal. In any case, these days I rarely eat any of the rest, perhaps maybe on a special occasion, a birthday or at Christmas.

Regarding carbs, and Ben picked up on this point as well, I rested the day before the competition and was fairly depleted. Not that I carb deplete as a procedure, but simply that I am over-trained (deliberately) and therefore in deficit. On Friday morning, I started out with my first carb meal at 5am, then more carbs at 7am, then at 9.30, then 12.30 and finally at 3.15. This was five lots of carbs and I could see myself steadily filling out, helped with plenty of water. In the context of having consistently trained on just 3 carb meals per day, this 'mini-carb-up' made a huge difference to the way I looked in the absence of any training. I was really full looking on Friday evening and concerned as to whether my legs would 'dry-out' for the following day. However, when I awoke at around 4am on the Saturday morning I knew everything was ok and would remain so as long as I stuck to the plan of eating no more carbs and simply consuming a piece of cod and a few sprigs of broccoli every 2 1/2 hours, which is what I did. I also took on board about 1 1/2 pints of water first thing (including an Americano coffee) and then just reverted to mouthfuls throughout the day, keen to ensure that I continued to move water through my system. Each time I did I would replace this with a little more water and so on. This averted any potential problem of dehydration and my body shutting down, something which has affected me in the past. Overall, then, I feel the carbs went in at the right time to replenish depleted glycogen and further create a level of fullness that seemed to work well on the day.
felix

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2015, 01:01:34 AM »

Well done on your UKDFBA Win Dean you look excellent in the photos.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 50
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements