August 26, 2019, 08:48:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 50
  Print  
Author Topic: Chronicles of the physique culturist ...  (Read 153518 times)
DDG

Email
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2015, 05:37:07 AM »

Welcome back Dean  Cheesy

I do enjoy your detailed writing style. Your wisdom shines through.

How have you coped from a psychological point of view?

Thank you Keith, nice of you to say.

From a psychological point of view coping has been more straightforward these last two years and I say two years because, of course, I also competed in 2014 at the BNBF Midlands show where I pretty much effectively nailed things. As mentioned above, I live alone, except for when my children are with me, and so I have the freedom to plan my days accordingly. In competition mode all this means there are fewer distractions, fewer temptations, fewer (in fact, no) conversations around or about what to eat, whether to break the pattern and cheat and so on. For all intents and purposes I am 'metronomic' and everything just happens as it should. Psychologically then, my mind is more even and there are fewer spikes and troughs. However, I'll make no bones about the fact that the last ten days before the last show were incredibly difficult. Some days I was struggling because the deficit was hurting so much and I just closed it out and thought of the end point. Towards the end I did feel as though I'd had enough, not so much of training, or what I was eating, but more the fact of becoming tired of the entire process: consuming me, my thoughts, my every waking moment. It was a huge release to wake up on Sunday 11th October satisfied and relieved to know it was all  over. Of course, you get over that feeling after a few days of higher calories and the strong sense of accomplishment that peaking for a competition brings. It is a pity I cannot compete in the US, but for a busy next few weeks at work. Indeed, it is plain frustrating given the fact I'm still in top shape and ticking along nicely (although yesterday at work was I was a bit lethargic). In fact, I'd go as far to say that I'm looking harder right now than I did a week out from the UK show - my skin still being paper thin and glutes properly splintered. But I made a choice and that's that. In fact, ironically in some ways this is harder to deal with psychologically than my preparation for the last show, from which I've now totally recovered psychologically if not perhaps fully physiologically (as my sleeping pattern is still awry).

Hey Dean! Good to se you posting again.  This is the first proper chance I've had to see some pictures (on a monitor not phone), and I must get round to ordering them.
Well done again for the show.
How are the boys doing?

Hi Matt, and thanks it's good to be back and have something meaningful to say in terms of reflections on a real experience. And, thanks again, naturally I'm pleased with how things worked out for me. The final week always is anxiety provoking and this proved no exception. Competitively speaking, there is no stronger relief than arriving at the venue, sitting out the many hours of waiting patiently for a time to arrive and then stripping down to be tanned up and knowing, then and there, in that very moment that everything has come together. It isn't until I'm properly tanned and able to see how I truly appear that I can relax (or not) and fully enjoy what I'm doing. It's a pity that this ecstasy resides within only the small space of a very narrow window, its fleeting presence gone as quickly as it arrived. But for two hours nothing compares ...

The boys are doing very well, thanks and growing up quickly. William will be eight a month after Christmas and Alex is 3 years and 3 months tomorrow. They are pretty challenging at times as they deliberately wind each other up, My 3 year old, in particular, is very challenging at the moment and starting to test all kinds of boundaries. Both like mischief and both probably take after me in a number of respects, although Alex is the one more likely to be athletic, I think. William is big and strong and probably on course for six foot, no kidding!! Both boys are doing well at school and at nursery respectively and both are showing academic inclinations, that is, according to William's latest parents' evening report and Alex's ability to learn quickly, understand concepts and articulate himself effectively. More than this, though, both are full of fun and happiness and always smiling and enjoying life and I am pleased for them in this respect. Their innocence is wonderful and long may it last for cynicism is a cruel leveller but real aspect of adult life. They find their own way and interests, as I do not wish to impose mine on their tastes and preferences, but respect their individuality. I am off on Friday with William as his half term begins; I then repeat a week on Thursday and Friday at the end of his holiday so I'm looking forward to having him on my own and without Alex for once. Equally, it will be nice to have Alex early in November when William is off at scout camp for a weekend. It just feel I can give them better quality time individually than when they're together, which is often fire fighting stuff. I hope your little boy is doing well too?
DDG

Email
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2015, 05:44:29 AM »

Last night's workout (unusually late for me but I had a busy day yesterday and the gym was packed) which turned a few heads Grin

Back and rear delts.

Pull-ups - 4 sets - 14 reps, 9 reps, 8 reps, 7 reps. 1 minute in between.

Bent over barbell rows - 6 sets - 60kg x 10 reps, 70kg x 8 reps, 80kg x 8 reps, 90kg x 5 reps x 2; 80kg x 6 reps. (All done with body parallel to the floor - i.e. proper bent-over rows not the modern 'Big Dave' version of trap shrugs. 1 minute in between..

Seated cable rows - 3 sets - 60kg x 6-8 reps - pull in, hold and squeeze each rep. 30 seconds in between..

Cable rear delt flyes - setated pull two cable across each other and back - great exercise to work the rear delts and detail of the upper back region.  4 sets of 6-8 reps. 30 seconds in between.

Workout complete in 25-30 minutes.
DDG

Email
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2015, 05:45:57 AM »

Off to the university gym in 15 minutes for a delts and triceps workout - one of favourites - nice and easy. The gym opens at 7am, so I drive there 40 minutes, train, shower and behind my desk at work for 8am. Grin
ben-howard

WNBF Pro

Email
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2015, 06:59:37 AM »

great work ethic Dean, and its great to have an insight into the real high's and low's of a competitive bodybuilder, big respect for sharing those! - now your "offseason" has technically started, how does your diet transition from pre contest to offseason? im guessing there isnt a huge difference since your still in almost top condition
Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2015, 12:15:42 PM »

Good to hear your boys are doing well, Dean.

That's a shame you cant make it out to the WNBF Worlds as I think you'd fair very well with the package you brought at the UK Champs, but I appreciate it must be difficult getting time off from your work.

Maybe you could consider another studio photo-shoot with Roger Shelley or perhaps Fivos to capture how you're looking now with some new poses / angles? We could even run a new article on the site if you fancied being featured and make use of any good shots you have.
DDG

Email
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2015, 08:19:44 PM »

great work ethic Dean, and its great to have an insight into the real high's and low's of a competitive bodybuilder, big respect for sharing those! - now your "offseason" has technically started, how does your diet transition from pre contest to offseason? im guessing there isnt a huge difference since your still in almost top condition

Thanks Ben - training wise I'm always very consistent and have been now for quite some time. I think this makes a huge difference.

Regarding my diet transition, you're right there isn't a huge difference but there is a crucial difference, which is that I generally eat oily fish several times per day: salmon and mackerel. I also increase my carb intake with larger portions and keeping carbs in throughout the day (bar the last meal). Today, for example I've had salmon twice, cod twice and larger than usual sweet potatoes. I also eat a greater range and variety of foods than I do pre-contest. There are meals out too: curry, Thai, Italian and Asian fusion are favourites. I enjoyed an 'all I could eat' curry with Tom (my step-son) after the show, for example. But regardless of diet, I enjoy training most days so I make sure I do because it brings pleasure. Yes, I'm almost in top condition, but would need to tighten up again for a few days to dial in my mid-section a few percent. I'm not sure I want to actually because I'd quite like to return to where I was 4-5 weeks before the show, which is sharp-ish for the gym but a level below being stage ready. Having condition is great and it certainly provides a buzz, but I also need to start sleeping again properly and have consistent, prolonged rest, which currently I'm missing as things are still quite erratic and broken until my body begins to settle down.
DDG

Email
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2015, 08:43:25 PM »

Good to hear your boys are doing well, Dean.

That's a shame you cant make it out to the WNBF Worlds as I think you'd fair very well with the package you brought at the UK Champs, but I appreciate it must be difficult getting time off from your work.

Maybe you could consider another studio photo-shoot with Roger Shelley or perhaps Fivos to capture how you're looking now with some new poses / angles? We could even run a new article on the site if you fancied being featured and make use of any good shots you have.

The boys are good - I've attached a couple of relatively recent pictures  Smiley

I'm not sure about a photo-shoot, maybe I'll mull it over. If I'd considered it before and been better organised I'd have had it done this week. Alas, I didn't and so I'm now wanting to ease up a bit with the diet and move back towards a more comfortable equilibrium, where I'm defined but also sleeping properly at night. I'd be happy to be part of new article, however, if this were an interview for example, and I have plenty of shots from Lee's show that would be suitable to accompany the writing ... but I'll leave it with you  Smiley

[attachment expired]
DDG

Email
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2015, 09:21:30 PM »

This morning's workout - delts and triceps.

Cybex seated shoulder press - pyramid up and down (peaking at 112.5lbs) - 6 sets

Dumbell side laterals - 4 sets x 12.5kg - 6-8 reps

Dips - 4 sets 8-12 reps

Pull-over and press - 3 sets (12.5kg per side) - 6-8 reps

Pushowns - 3 sets.

Done in 25 minutes.
DDG

Email
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2015, 11:24:31 PM »

This morning's workout chest and biceps:

Smith machine incline press pyramiding up in weight and performing six working sets, two at the top and back down. I was really focusing on squeezing the muscle throughout this movement especially in the eccentric phase, taking the negative relatively slowly for maximum stimulation. This also means I don't require as much weight which has ancillary benefits for my joints.

Hammer strength flat press, again with the same kind of execution.

I like using machine for chest since I can focus more on the tension rather than balancing the weight. This has some advantages: one is that it places less strain on one of my wrists which is affected by mild arthritis.

Biceps - barbell curls x 4 sets x 5-7 reps. Again the focus here is on lowering the weight slowly and in a very controlled manner. Working weight 40kg.

Finally - revolving bar cable curls - just two sets to finish with constant tension on the muscle throughout the range.

Job done in 25 mins😆
MJP
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2015, 12:12:58 AM »

The innocence of youth is far more preferable than the cyncism of adult life, Dean... Smiley; well done on your 'comeback', you always had one of the finest, most complete physiques around...good luck with all you do. Cool
DDG

Email
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2015, 03:39:24 AM »

The innocence of youth is far more preferable than the cyncism of adult life, Dean... Smiley; well done on your 'comeback', you always had one of the finest, most complete physiques around...good luck with all you do. Cool

Indeed ... And, thanks. I hope the show runs to plan on Sunday  Cool ... This Saturday (was then a Sunday) 24th October, will be 16 years since my ANB win in Corby. Time flies.  Smiley
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2015, 12:43:55 PM »

[/quote] 

. I hope your little boy is doing well too?
[/quote]

He's growing very fast, and turned 3 the end of September.  To be honest, he has made this prep very hard at times.  Went through a few spells of not sleeping well, and really pushing the boundaries at times.  He and Claire were both ill coming into the last show, and did their best to drag me down with it too!  Still, a good boy at heart  Smiley
DDG

Email
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2015, 08:02:04 PM »

. I hope your little boy is doing well too?
[/quote]

He's growing very fast, and turned 3 the end of September.  To be honest, he has made this prep very hard at times.  Went through a few spells of not sleeping well, and really pushing the boundaries at times.  He and Claire were both ill coming into the last show, and did their best to drag me down with it too!  Still, a good boy at heart  Smiley
[/quote]

All good then Matt!  Smiley All the best for the weekend too, I'm sure you'll be up there and enjoying the moment as always  Smiley
DDG

Email
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2015, 08:08:32 PM »

Today was leg day and I was ready for it after last night's delicious meal out. I had a lovely duck terrine starter and then followed up with pan seared sword fish on a base of crushed new potatoes and green beans. It was delightful, and nicely washed down with the medium glass of Prosecco  Smiley

Pre workout I had one of PhD's VMX2 sachets which blew my head off, the beta-alanine causing my fingers to tingle Grin Added to this I used Bulk Powders iBCAA lemon and lime (lovely taste) with additional leucine.

Leg press - 1 plate x 30 reps, 2 plates x 20 reps, 3 plates x 20 reps, 4 plates x 20, 15, 15 reps, 3 plates x 20 reps.

Leg extensions - 4 sets x 6-8 reps

Stiff legged deads - 1 set x 22.5kg x 12 reps, 4 sets x 30 kg x 7-8reps.

Seated leg curls 3 sets x 60kg x 5-8 reps.

Leg press toe presses for calves - 3 plates a side x 2 sets, 2 plates a side x 3 sets.

Done in 30 minutes and numb.
SuperplexSteve

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2015, 01:50:41 PM »

Christ, that's a lot of volume to get through in 30 minutes.  I think it would have taken me a full hour.  I could theoretically cut my rest time in half and achieve it, but gym maths doesn't always work!

Thank you Steve ... I don't think we've ever met but please accept my apology if this isn't correct. Regarding the show, I was probably lighter than 63kg actually, since I weighed in at 63.4kg with all my clobber on (hoody, bottoms, trainers, and so on). I reckon about 62.5kg or less.

I'm with you on arm training: training them on their own doesn't burn enough calories. Training them with shoulders is an option but then that leaves chest and back which I feel is too big a workout. So it's chest on its own which isn't enough and back. Obviously, its horses for courses and some folk like to do it this way, but I feel as though the split I'm currently employing is appropriate and fit for my current purposes. Keep going Steve and maybe I'll see you up on stage next year? It will be good to follow your progress in the meantime.

You're right, we haven't met yet, but natural bodybuilding is such a small community that you'll quickly learn names.  I'm almost certainly going to compete next year, my motivation is through the roof.  Likewise, I hope to see you on stage next year and scoop some more titles.

I noticed that you pretty much always train in the morning - is that a necessity based on your work schedule or do you feel more primed to train first thing?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 50
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements