August 24, 2019, 10:02:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 50
  Print  
Author Topic: Chronicles of the physique culturist ...  (Read 153394 times)
DDG

Email
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2015, 07:50:00 PM »

Christ, that's a lot of volume to get through in 30 minutes.  I think it would have taken me a full hour.  I could theoretically cut my rest time in half and achieve it, but gym maths doesn't always work!

Thank you Steve ... I don't think we've ever met but please accept my apology if this isn't correct. Regarding the show, I was probably lighter than 63kg actually, since I weighed in at 63.4kg with all my clobber on (hoody, bottoms, trainers, and so on). I reckon about 62.5kg or less.

I'm with you on arm training: training them on their own doesn't burn enough calories. Training them with shoulders is an option but then that leaves chest and back which I feel is too big a workout. So it's chest on its own which isn't enough and back. Obviously, its horses for courses and some folk like to do it this way, but I feel as though the split I'm currently employing is appropriate and fit for my current purposes. Keep going Steve and maybe I'll see you up on stage next year? It will be good to follow your progress in the meantime.

You're right, we haven't met yet, but natural bodybuilding is such a small community that you'll quickly learn names.  I'm almost certainly going to compete next year, my motivation is through the roof.  Likewise, I hope to see you on stage next year and scoop some more titles.

I noticed that you pretty much always train in the morning - is that a necessity based on your work schedule or do you feel more primed to train first thing?

Yes, it's a lot of volume and quite a few people comment on that in my training. I use only moderate weights and keep the pace up. It's suits my physique and structure and especially as the years roll on. I have to be kind to my joints. I've been training thirty-one years and I'm pretty full-on so I can ill afford to take any liberties with my body, especially right now.

You know, my preference for training is in the evening. When I had my garage kitted out I used to train nearly always in the evening after the kids were in bed. Alas now I no longer have the luxury to do so. Instead, I must train when I can and typically this tends to be first thing. In any case, because I'm now training in a gym, I find it easier to miss the crowd by going in first thing. Occasionally it is unavoidable and I hit a peak time in the evening, but wherever possible I try to avoid this happening as it often leads to disappointment in terms of getting on equipment and training optimally (fast pace). I hope to see you compete next year then Steve.
DDG

Email
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2015, 07:57:36 PM »

I was off work today with my son and so I brought him along training. For insurance purposes, he wasn't allowed to follow me around so while he sat playing on his ipad for 30 minutes, I got the job done.

Back and rear delts:

Pull ups - 50 reps over 6 sets.

Bent over barbell rows (parallel to the floor) - 50, 70, 80, 90, 80, 80, 70kg x 5-10 reps.

Seated cable rows - 3 x 56-60kg x 5-8 reps (squeeze and hold in the contracted position).

Cross-over seated cable flyes (pulling out and rearwards) - 4 x 6-8 reps.

Done in 30 minutes.

Then I took my son out for a Frankie and Benny's breakfast - he had a big breakfast while I had 3 poached eggs on toast with a side of baked beans (nice post-workout treat about 30 minutes after my iBCAAs and 25g dates). I also had two mugs of coffee.

Then we drove to Delamere Forest and walked in the fresh air for 2 hours. Marvellous. My body fat is still around 6%, a little higher than a week ago, as I'm starting to add in some fats and a lot more fruit. But the outcome is a fuller physique, with rounder looking muscles and similar vascularity as before.
MJB

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2015, 10:31:59 PM »

Hey fella!

Finally have the chance to drop on in and say Hi!
It took me a while to get to to speed with where you're at, such is the depth & quality of your posts; not lacking in any of their usual clarity and conciseness.  Grin

In essence I can't add anything to the eloquent way in which you expressed the events of that memorable Saturday just a few weeks ago now, but suffice to say, I was proud to be there with Dave, fighting in your corner. As you eluded to, things just seemed 'right' in so many ways as the day progressed which helped elicit that humour and ongoing banter which we all enjoyed...see...you're not the miserable bu663r that you're perceived to be! (Not always anyway!  Tongue )

Hearing you announced as the Winner was a moment I'll cherish and remember clearly; it being the culmination of a long, tiring day filled with emotion, stellar memories and laughter. I wouldn't have missed that for the world! Don't say this too loudly, but you may, just may just have inspired me to look seriously at doing 'something' in 2016! Never say never huh?  Shocked

Thanks for the memories mate. M
DDG

Email
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2015, 10:37:23 PM »

Hey fella!

Finally have the chance to drop on in and say Hi!
It took me a while to get to to speed with where you're at, such is the depth & quality of your posts; not lacking in any of their usual clarity and conciseness.  Grin

In essence I can't add anything to the eloquent way in which you expressed the events of that memorable Saturday just a few weeks ago now, but suffice to say, I was proud to be there with Dave, fighting in your corner. As you eluded to, things just seemed 'right' in so many ways as the day progressed which helped elicit that humour and ongoing banter which we all enjoyed...see...you're not the miserable bu663r that you're perceived to be! (Not always anyway!  Tongue )

Hearing you announced as the Winner was a moment I'll cherish and remember clearly; it being the culmination of a long, tiring day filled with emotion, stellar memories and laughter. I wouldn't have missed that for the world! Don't say this too loudly, but you may, just may just have inspired me to look seriously at doing 'something' in 2016! Never say never huh?  Shocked

Thanks for the memories mate. M

Thanks Mick, you already know what it meant to me that you and Dave were there. True pal! I hope you do push the boat out ... I'll be there with you all the way. Let's create some more fantastic memories and finish it off with an after-show pig out! LOL  Grin Just think you and Dave might do the same comp in different classes ... now that would be entertainment, with me operating as full-time tanner  Cheesy Grin
DDG

Email
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2015, 03:18:47 AM »

I had a great delts and tris session yesterday and was really up for it, following my pre-workout iBCAAs and a VMX2 sachet (thanks Mick), I was wired to go:

Smith machine seated press, with bench at 85 degrees. Pyramid up to 27.5 kg a side, then back down, for approximately 6 sets.

Standing dumbbell lateral raises - 14kg x 6-8 reps - very strict form as always.

Dumbell shrugs - 42kg x 3 sets, 38kg x 2 sets - 5-8 reps.

Close drop bench on Smith - 6 sets x 5-10 reps;

Seated triceps dumbbell extensions - 26kg dumbbell x 3 sets x 6-10 reps.

Abdominal crunches x 3 sets x 10-15 reps.

Complete in 30 minutes.
DDG

Email
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2015, 09:54:21 PM »

Slipped in a leg workout yesterday - just a light one with high reps and short rest periods. Volume and frequency stimulate muscle hypertrophy.

Leg press warm ups x 30 carriage, 1 plate 20 reps, 2 plates 20 reps, 3 plates x 3 x 20; 2 x 15 reps - 60 seconds rest.

Leg extensions x 4 sets

Dumbell stiff legged deads - 22.kg x 5 x 8-12 reps..

Seated leg curls x 4 sets

Standing calf raises x 5 sets.

Complete in 25 minutes.
DDG

Email
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2015, 09:57:24 PM »

This morning chest and biceps ...

Thirty degree Smith incline x 6 sets x 5-8 reps

Flat Smith press x 4 sets x 5-8 reps

Barbell curls x 4 sets @ 40kg x 6-7 reps (emphasising very slow negative).

Barbell leaning drag curls @ 22.5kg x 3 sets x 6-8 reps.

Complete in 25 minutes.
K_Dogs

DOMS makes you feel alive....

« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2015, 04:50:59 PM »

How are you performing these? I do body drag curls, but not heard of the leaning part before?
DDG

Email
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2015, 10:28:16 PM »

How are you performing these? I do body drag curls, but not heard of the leaning part before?

Always difficult to describe an action that is much better demonstrated. I pinched the idea from Helder, who put up a video recently on facebook, advertised as one of his favourite biceps exercises. I thought to myself, I'll try that, and so I did and really rate the movement, but always following my 'bread and butter' heavy barbell curls.

I'm leaning slightly forward with my arms outstretch to allow the barbell to hang away from the body slightly. Then I drag up the bar several inches before curling to completion and then lower slowly all the way down. It really effective for a decent pump.

Here's the link to Helder's page: https://www.facebook.com/helder.a.barroso?fref=ts

Scroll down to 15th September and there's a video.
DDG

Email
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2015, 10:48:23 PM »

Yesterday at 6.20am I did a leg workout, using my usual working weight of 4 plates a side on the leg press and hitting 20 reps for each set, the last being particularly difficult as I was forced to pause momentarily between the last five reps at the end. In total, including the pyramid up, I did 6 sets of 20 reps, before moving to heavier than usual extensions.

Onto hamstrings. I did five sets of stiff legged deadlifts (with 30kg dumbells), moving within the limited range of mid-shin to part way up before descending again in a fashion of continuously flowing reps. Then, I finished with 4 sets of seated leg curls.

Five sets of standing calf raises rounded out the workout.

This session was particularly demanding and I actually struggled for the rest of the day, finding I had to ramp up my calories after returning home from work. I was wiped out and crashed out shortly after 10pm.

Today I returned to the gym around 8am to train back and rear delts. Three movements were the order of the day: 6 sets of pull-ups (around 50 reps), 6 sets of bent-over barbell rows (peaking @ 2 x 5 x 90kg) and 3 sets of deadlifts (100kg x 12, 10, 9). My lower back was pulp at the end. Five sets of rear delts on a thirty degree incline bench finished off the workout efficiently in around 30 minutes.

This evening I decided to go for a brisk walk around 6.15pm before my evening meal (meal number 5). I walked (marched) for about 40 minutes. I enjoyed this and like to include some aerobic work of whatever variety to keep me in good shape and staying healthy year-round. At other times, I enjoy doing higher intensity stuff, but given the fact my legs are still recovering from yesterday's pounding, purposeful walking proved to be a more sensible option.

Generally, I've increased my calories significantly since the show and everything has filled out nicely. I am still very low down, but now probably around two weeks from being able to compete again. In fact, I'd say I've rebounded quite nicely, with my current weight resting at around 10st 6lbs, but skin still paper thin on my delts and arms and not far off on my legs. I wasn't sleeping well so I've made what I consider two crucial adjustments to address this problem: i) I've increased my essential fat intake from salmon but also a Bulk Powders' oil blend; I've also increased my intake of magnesium chelate supplementation to 450mg about 30 minutes before bedtime, taken with 15mg chelated zinc. Together, the adjustment seems to be improving my quality of sleep. Last night I managed 6 hours, so hopefully it won't be long before I'm averaging 6-7 hours per night.

Tomorrow am, I am training delts and triceps. One of my favourite workouts - a nice easy one.
Badger

To press a lot, you must press a lot. -Sheiko

Email
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2015, 08:47:48 AM »

The Bulk powders ultimate oil is very good, I have been having 20ml a day with lunch and have noticed it eased my joint pain.

On the subject of BP I have been using the complete Bedtime shake with added tryptophan (a little nod to "the chemist" Frank Zane) and it really knocks me out.

Here's to hoping Mick comes out for another go as I am locked in for it now and have got all the relevant approvals to commence with operation shredded lightweight/small middle till I get there.

We will hook for a training session soon, your style of training is a touch more time efficient than the current 2 hour lower sessions we engage in currently lol so plenty of time for a steak to follow.

SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR 5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2015, 09:49:46 AM »

I hav just cracked open my udo's oil from the South East second and I must admit it doesn't have the slight bitter taste of some blends. Do you get that with the BP version as they use hemp
K_Dogs

DOMS makes you feel alive....

« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2015, 11:28:44 AM »

Cheers Dean, will check out the video. Having the elbows back from the body really seems to take the delts out of the equation, which can only be a good thing.
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2015, 12:44:55 PM »

That BP oil blend is very inexpensive compared to the UDO's, how do you rate it compared? I am like Dave, 20-30ml per day so not at the Feesey level of glugging from the bottle, yet
DDG

Email
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2015, 12:50:26 PM »

The Bulk Powders oil blend is really quite pleasant. It has a different taste to UDOs but is not in any way 'offensive'. I put it on my potato hash with a bit of extra virgin olive oil for taste (as I really enjoy the flavour of olive oil). I also take the BP blend straight off the spoon last thing and without any unpleasant after-taste.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 50
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements