June 20, 2019, 04:26:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50
  Print  
Author Topic: Chronicles of the physique culturist ...  (Read 147744 times)
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #705 on: May 27, 2018, 10:34:21 AM »

That sounds a sensible and sustainable way to approach it Dean. Slide into a retirement from the competitive side while maintaining a good physique. It will allow you to enjoy life and create a nice balance, in theory
DDG

Email
« Reply #706 on: May 27, 2018, 07:41:56 PM »

That sounds a sensible and sustainable way to approach it Dean. Slide into a retirement from the competitive side while maintaining a good physique. It will allow you to enjoy life and create a nice balance, in theory

No absolutely. I've had a good run and I've had the absolute best out of my body. I've no regrets and there's nothing left in the tank, so to speak.

I'd quite like to do more cycling too so I'm going to see about this at some point, I think.

DDG

Email
« Reply #707 on: May 29, 2018, 06:01:40 PM »

So, not much to report other than an overwhelming lack of training. In fact an overwhelming lack of exercise. Very untypical but most definitely necessary.

My back hasn't been too good but now a few days in I think today has started to show signs of some improvement. I'm hoping that a week on Saturday/Sunday I might be sufficiently fit to resume exercises with body weight only, principally pull-ups and dips. In the meantime I'm managing everything with a radically reduced carb intake and fewer overall calories. It seems to be working so far and body weight has reduced (due to atrophy), so I'm now down to 10st 9lbs.

Still, I will hopefully be lean and fit by August if my recovery continues. I'm also thinking of buying a bike on the cycle to work scheme. I think it would help me a lot fitness wise and also with my back moving forward. And something else to get excited about - (the choosing a bike, that is).
SuperSi

Email
« Reply #708 on: May 30, 2018, 09:43:06 AM »

Sorry to read about your back issues, Dean. That must be incredibly frustrating for you. Hopefully, as you alluded to, there's light at the end of the tunnel. Smiley
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #709 on: May 30, 2018, 09:58:10 AM »

So, not much to report other than an overwhelming lack of training. In fact an overwhelming lack of exercise. Very untypical but most definitely necessary.

My back hasn't been too good but now a few days in I think today has started to show signs of some improvement. I'm hoping that a week on Saturday/Sunday I might be sufficiently fit to resume exercises with body weight only, principally pull-ups and dips. In the meantime I'm managing everything with a radically reduced carb intake and fewer overall calories. It seems to be working so far and body weight has reduced (due to atrophy), so I'm now down to 10st 9lbs.

Still, I will hopefully be lean and fit by August if my recovery continues. I'm also thinking of buying a bike on the cycle to work scheme. I think it would help me a lot fitness wise and also with my back moving forward. And something else to get excited about - (the choosing a bike, that is).

Hope you see some improvement on the back soon.  I know how debilitating it can be. I doubt you would have seen much atrophy at this stage? possibly just glycogen reduction?

Obviously gym comes first for me, but cycling can be an enjoyable hobby.  In some ways it can trump weight training in terms of sense of short term achievement.  Getting to the top of a big climb can give you a good sense of satisfaction  Smiley  (remind me of this when I'm doing a 50 mile sportive on Sunday!   Cheesy
DDG

Email
« Reply #710 on: May 30, 2018, 03:37:16 PM »

Sorry to read about your back issues, Dean. That must be incredibly frustrating for you. Hopefully, as you alluded to, there's light at the end of the tunnel. Smiley

Thanks Simon. It's one of those things. In the past it would have really disturbed me - (the prospect of not being able to train) but now it all seems much less significant. I'm really only concerned with being able to walk freely again without looking like I've 'cacked' myself  Grin

It's improved again today and I've been on my feet more. Just stretched out and it clicked back into place again. The clicking is a good sign on sacro-illiac joint stretches as it least denotes mobility. I'm optimistic I'll be walking pretty well by the weekend now. Fingers crossed.
DDG

Email
« Reply #711 on: May 30, 2018, 03:43:36 PM »

Hope you see some improvement on the back soon.  I know how debilitating it can be. I doubt you would have seen much atrophy at this stage? possibly just glycogen reduction?

Obviously gym comes first for me, but cycling can be an enjoyable hobby.  In some ways it can trump weight training in terms of sense of short term achievement.  Getting to the top of a big climb can give you a good sense of satisfaction  Smiley  (remind me of this when I'm doing a 50 mile sportive on Sunday!   Cheesy

Thanks Matt. Yes, a bit of atrophy and a little depletion. I was 1/2lb lighter this morning too. All bodes well as I'm looking forward to keeping at around 10 1/2 stones again. It's all well and good building up to over 11 stones, and I'm pretty lean at this, but I do feel much less mobile and I'm always aching or feeling heavy. When my eldest son thinks he's marginally slower than me on his feet is a sure sign I need to get fit and mobile just to reveal the truth of the matter  Grin Grin

The best bike I ever had was stolen back in 2003. I bought it just before Christmas in 2000 - it was  Trek hybrid, which cost 350 back then. I remember going out on it twice around the hills of Leicestershire on Christmas day in 2000. As you say a great feeling to reach the top of a challenging ascent and I was wheezing like a butcher's dog at the top of one of those baby monsters.

Good luck with the Sportive - I'd be more concerned by my ass cheeks (and the rest  Cheesy) over that time frame Grin
DDG

Email
« Reply #712 on: May 31, 2018, 04:47:14 PM »

Bit more progress today. More mobile and walking more freely. Small steps - figuratively and quite literally.

DDG

Email
« Reply #713 on: June 01, 2018, 06:46:12 PM »

Good progress yesterday. Following a night out, the first in ages, and sharing a bottle of Prosecco too, I managed to walk 2 miles back from town without a reaction to my back. Today I've walked a couple of miles too, with a haircut in between. All's well.

Physique wise having put a few carbs back in I've filled out quite nicely and actually probably look better than I did a few weeks back before I hurt myself. At around 10st 9lbs now and starting to feel better on my 12th consecutive day of rest from weight training.
DDG

Email
« Reply #714 on: June 03, 2018, 11:17:41 AM »

I walked 4.5 miles yesterday and back to working out again today!

This morning I exercised for almost an hour and did an upper body session incorporating 7 sets of pull ups, 3 sets of bench pullovers, 5 sets of dips, 3 sets of high reps seated dumbbell press, 3 sets of high reps lateral raises, 3 sets of pronated rear delt flyes, 5 sets of one arms dumbbell extensions and 5 sets of seated dumbbell curls.

Felt good, huge pump and looking reasonable for a two week layoff, the longest I can remember in many, many, years, around 20, I think.
SuperSi

Email
« Reply #715 on: June 04, 2018, 09:51:17 AM »

Great to see you back training again, mate.  Smiley
DDG

Email
« Reply #716 on: June 05, 2018, 06:01:20 PM »

Thanks Si  Smiley

Just put another session together a little earlier - upper body again as I'm not yet strong enough in my lower back to entertain leg training.

At 6.30pm this evening I'm doing a yoga beginner's class. Will be interesting.
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #717 on: June 06, 2018, 08:23:09 AM »

Thanks Si  Smiley

Just put another session together a little earlier - upper body again as I'm not yet strong enough in my lower back to entertain leg training.

At 6.30pm this evening I'm doing a yoga beginner's class. Will be interesting.

Have you looked at hot yoga? I cannot say I know much about it but was talking to Nicola about it last week and she explained its benefits so I am looking to give it a go myself
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #718 on: June 06, 2018, 12:30:01 PM »

Ooh glad I got you interested! I must say I am *loving* my hot yoga. I've tried yoga in the past but never stuck with it, but there's something different about this.

Dean - I hope the yoga is a benefit to you in general and particularly with the current niggles. I'm far from a yoga expert but obviously tell the teacher your injuries/issues and they will advise on which poses not to do, or give you modifications etc.
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #719 on: June 06, 2018, 12:33:44 PM »

What the hell is 'hot' yoga??
Yoga does seem quite popular again lately and I know a few guys from work who have got into it and enjoy it, and find it compliments their sports (mostly cycling).
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements