August 26, 2019, 07:55:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 50
  Print  
Author Topic: Chronicles of the physique culturist ...  (Read 153511 times)
DDG

Email
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2015, 02:32:21 AM »

Well done on your UKDFBA Win Dean you look excellent in the photos.

Thank you Felix. I'm delighted with the win for a variety of reasons but principally because I managed to get everything right for this one and have it appropriately captured. Victory is always sweet, but especially so given the calibre of Matt, a two-time British NPA Lightweight champion and UIBBN World Bantamweight winner still within the peak range of his ability, not to mention the remaining athletes in a nine strong solid line-up.
DDG

Email
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2015, 03:01:50 AM »

So, a week after the show my weight is almost exactly 63kg or a fraction under 10st 1lb. Visually, I now look about a week off competing, with prominent vascularity, still paper thin skin and really only a discernable loss of condition and detail around my mid-section. All this was helped or hindered, I am not sure which, on Thursday, when following a meal out with some governors and staff of my son's primary school (I am a parent governor), I fell ill half way through the morning. The night before I had ordered a starter of meatballs in a rich tomato sauce, which seemed fair enough since the place I was eating was and is a good quality restaurant. However, having cut one meal ball open I noticed the slightest amount of pink in the centre, pointed this out to the person sitting next to me, but then shrugged and carried on eating.

Thursday morning, I drove to work early, arriving at 6.45am for a 7am cardio session in the university gym, where I hold a second membership. I went on the Arc machine (a bit like an elliptical cross-trainer) and worked between 75-80% for 30 minutes. It was quite a hard session and I was tired as I got off. I put in all the usual post-workout supplements, showered and was behind my desk by eight o clock. Following the workout, I felt very tired, as though I wasn't quite getting over the effort and exertion I'd invested. By eleven o clock I felt quite rough, like I was running on empty, completely drained and barely able to function. I struggled on, but soon realised the need to return home to sleep. At lunchtime I decided to drive back and the fifty minute journey proved something of an ordeal, so desperate I was to get back. I slept for two hours, woke up and still felt exhausted, but managed to eat an apple, consume some whey and make off for a governors' meeting at my son's school. I lasted just twenty minutes before caving in; I explained and gave my apologies - they said I looked very pale, a fact the car mirror confirmed. I was home by 5.30pm and in bed asleep, which is where I stayed for the next twelve hours. I couldn't quite believe it, for I had slept so long and fasted a whole thirteen hours, and my condition was as hard as nails. Then and there, I decided I wouldn't train on Friday, my first break in a week since resting the day before the show. As the day wore on I started to feel a bit better and managed all of my meals, although I had some gut bloat which is still bothering me and letting me know that everything isn't yet 100%. The moral of the story is never ignore a sign which you know instinctively to be correct. At first I simply considered this was exhaustion following the show, then I attributed it to a virus, but without any other discernible signs of illness and a lingering gut issue, I eventually re-traced my experience to the meal and this, I believe, has affected me. Still, I was able to return to the gym yesterday and this is how it went ...   
DDG

Email
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2015, 03:44:07 AM »

At this point in my journey I had the opportunity to reconfigure a workout plan, to: a push, legs, pull pattern; or chest and arms, legs, back and delts routine; or upper/lower body split ... yet figured instead I'd keep with the workout configuration used leading up to the show: chest and biceps, legs, back and rear delts, delts and triceps (chest assist).

Most of us are genetically challenged in some way through the course of our bodybuilding exploits. For me, it is my arms that need the extra effort and attention, not that they look weak when my energy flow is in surplus, for they appear one of my stronger body parts. Yet on a diet, when I'm in calorie deficit, the biceps and triceps seem to lose more than other areas of my physique such as legs or back, or even delts for example. Over the years, I've noticed that the way to address this issue is to avoid attempting to fit too much into one workout, for the longer the workout the more susceptible one is to catabolism whilst in calorie deficit. In the past, I was a strong advocate of upper/lower body split training, and, for sure, this is one excellent way to get in shape quickly. Yet its major drawback is that arms are invariably always trained last, when energy levels are low, focus is diminishing and the level of perceived exertion appears at odds with the poundage employed. The way around this is to privilege the biceps and triceps in a workout that isn't too long. Some might say, just train arms on their own and, indeed, this is an option, but it is one not especially metabolically demanding. By my reckoning chest can be trained in fifteen to twenty minutes which leave a good ten minutes to train biceps in order to keep the workout within a half hour frame (all of my workouts are achieved in less than half an hour).

Yesterday, I used the Smith machine for 6 sets of incline press, the bench set at 30 degrees and employing a pyramid with three working sets at a working weight of 30kg a side for sets of 6 reps. No longer than 60 second rest in between sets and often less.

I then adjusted to flat and performed three more working sets with 25kg a side.

Finally, I finished off with two sets of incline dumbbell flyes, using a pair of 20kg dumbells and working to failure before turning the wrists and pressing out a few more reps on each set to finish.

For biceps, I warmed up with a set of 12 reps with 22.5kg barbell. Then selected my working weight of 40kg and performed 4 sets of 6 reps very strictly and with a slow, controlled eccentric phase. For me this feels quite heavy since it represents almost two-thirds of my current body weight. Rest 50-60 seconds between sets. Here, I felt fresh enough to be able to really focus and put everything into these sets. Four sets was easily enough for my biceps was bursting at the end, fully pumped, expanded and vascular.

Post workout supplements - iBCAAs with extra leucine and a ripe banana, then home for a meal of cod, large sweet potato and broccoli.

Legs later today ...

Workout complete (at least 15 sets, plus a few warm ups) in about 25 minutes

DDG

Email
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2015, 08:10:37 AM »

As a measure of condition holding up, here is a shot taken first thing this morning ...

[attachment expired]
Badger

To press a lot, you must press a lot. -Sheiko

Email
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2015, 08:31:03 AM »

This brings back memories!

I remember contacting you for guidance on what literature to read and generally how to get into shape after I all got all touchy when you mentioned that fat burning supps are no replacement for hard work.. That led to a great season in 2011 where you were with me at every show (5 of them if I remember correctly) and by listening to your advice especially with regard to diet I got into the best shape I have been in.

It was a great experience to be at the UKDFBA show and have the back stage banter with you and Mick. During my hiatus from the game I realised that in the outside world there are not many people who share the same  sense of humour or intensity.

There is no question you were at your very best mate and it was achieved via a lot of good nutrition and training for an extended period of time. Having seen you compete at the NPA Yorkshire in 2012 aswell it gave a good source of comparison and cemented in my mind that a key part of getting to the elusive areas of conditioning and fullness you reached is simply working hard enough for long enough with enough focus. Age when the years are used wisely allows you to build more density and potential for detail, which your back was a great example of.

You live the life quite simply and because you prioritise your nutrition and training and this combined with time and a not half bad set of genetics means you can present a physique that is competitive standing next to anyone I have seen on stage.

Going into my own exploits next year I am looking forward to reaching my own version of your level.. Bring it on 2016! Onwards and lean'wards!

SuperplexSteve

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2015, 09:10:39 AM »

Hi Dean, well done on your win, the package that you presented is outstanding.  I find it hard to believe that you are 63kg at the moment.  From the pictures, I would have put you at the upper end of the weight limit.  I feel very motivated to go up there and compete on this stage next year.  it looked to be a very strong class and it would be a privelege to share the stage in a line up like that.

Sorry to hear about the dodgy meal, it can be frustrating falling ill and dealing with the loss of appetite.  What I've learnt from training is that there is always a logical reason for feeling a little off.  One small thing you did during the day seemingly has a large knock on effect.

What are your thoughts about combining the arm training with a body part like shoulders?  For the past year, I have trained arms on its own day precisely for the reason that it has previously been treated as an afterthought.  At the same time, with training arms on they're own, it doesn't feel like I'm justifying the calories I'm consuming.
DDG

Email
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2015, 11:08:13 AM »

This brings back memories!

I remember contacting you for guidance on what literature to read and generally how to get into shape after I all got all touchy when you mentioned that fat burning supps are no replacement for hard work.. That led to a great season in 2011 where you were with me at every show (5 of them if I remember correctly) and by listening to your advice especially with regard to diet I got into the best shape I have been in.

It was a great experience to be at the UKDFBA show and have the back stage banter with you and Mick. During my hiatus from the game I realised that in the outside world there are not many people who share the same  sense of humour or intensity.

There is no question you were at your very best mate and it was achieved via a lot of good nutrition and training for an extended period of time. Having seen you compete at the NPA Yorkshire in 2012 aswell it gave a good source of comparison and cemented in my mind that a key part of getting to the elusive areas of conditioning and fullness you reached is simply working hard enough for long enough with enough focus. Age when the years are used wisely allows you to build more density and potential for detail, which your back was a great example of.

You live the life quite simply and because you prioritise your nutrition and training and this combined with time and a not half bad set of genetics means you can present a physique that is competitive standing next to anyone I have seen on stage.

Going into my own exploits next year I am looking forward to reaching my own version of your level.. Bring it on 2016! Onwards and lean'wards!

Yes, some great memories for sure, Dave. The journey you travelled back in 2011 was a most inspiring one and one that has served to stoke my appetite for dieting and training consistently ever since. As mentioned above, it produced an impetus that continues today and which has never really subsided. I have come to 'be' and in this vein I shall continue. Notwithstanding the very end of the day when I'd run out of gas, the experience overall a week last Saturday with you and Mick is one I shall always remember. The pump up room, the tanning up, the banter and actually the overall sense of well-being throughout the afternoon and into early evening. There have been few occasions when I have felt so comfortable backstage and this was due, I feel, in large part to the fact that everything was just 'right'; I was fortunate enough not to be 'chasing' anything, the hard work having been done and condition firmly in place. I look forward to 2016 and supporting you in whatever way I can, and the same is true also of Mick should he decided to take the plunge and return to the stage.

Hi Dean, well done on your win, the package that you presented is outstanding.  I find it hard to believe that you are 63kg at the moment.  From the pictures, I would have put you at the upper end of the weight limit.  I feel very motivated to go up there and compete on this stage next year.  it looked to be a very strong class and it would be a privelege to share the stage in a line up like that.

Sorry to hear about the dodgy meal, it can be frustrating falling ill and dealing with the loss of appetite.  What I've learnt from training is that there is always a logical reason for feeling a little off.  One small thing you did during the day seemingly has a large knock on effect.

What are your thoughts about combining the arm training with a body part like shoulders?  For the past year, I have trained arms on its own day precisely for the reason that it has previously been treated as an afterthought.  At the same time, with training arms on they're own, it doesn't feel like I'm justifying the calories I'm consuming.

Thank you Steve ... I don't think we've ever met but please accept my apology if this isn't correct. Regarding the show, I was probably lighter than 63kg actually, since I weighed in at 63.4kg with all my clobber on (hoody, bottoms, trainers, and so on). I reckon about 62.5kg or less.

I'm with you on arm training: training them on their own doesn't burn enough calories. Training them with shoulders is an option but then that leaves chest and back which I feel is too big a workout. So it's chest on its own which isn't enough and back. Obviously, its horses for courses and some folk like to do it this way, but I feel as though the split I'm currently employing is appropriate and fit for my current purposes. Keep going Steve and maybe I'll see you up on stage next year? It will be good to follow your progress in the meantime.
DDG

Email
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2015, 11:17:59 AM »

Today's workout legs:

I started with the leg press - it's a huge Hammer Strength 45 degree beast, whose carriage weighs a ton without even adding any weight. Consequently, I always begin with this and rep out 30 as a warm up.

Then 1 plate (20kg) a side for 20 reps,
2 plates for 20 reps,
3 plats for 20 reps, ... each with a minute in between.

Then 3 working sets of 4 plates a side (which feels like the equivalent of 5 calibrated on my old leg press) for 20 reps, 15, and 15 reps, with 90 seconds rest in between.

At this point my legs were really screaming. My form is to take the weight down with my knees into my chest (no 6 inch reps) and press up without locking out and returning down in a non-lock, rhythmic fashion.

I then performed four sets of extensions, using 60kg for 6-8 reps per set and locking at the top and squeezing before lowering and driving up again.

Hamstrings next when I warmed up with stiff legged deadlifts with dumbells, beginning with the 20s for a set of 12 reps. These are performed by keeping the chest high and lowering only to around mid-shin. Any further and the form isn't correct. I come up without fully straightening and keep going in a steady, rhythmic way. My working sets were done with 26kg dumbells for sets of 7-8 reps.

Three sets of seated leg curls to finish and then five sets of toe presses on the leg press machine, hitting 6-12 reps with 3 plates a side, then reducing to 2 plates and really squeezing the calves.

So, all in all, not particularly heavy but very quick and demanding and all complete in about 30 minutes.

Post workout I consumed 15g of iBCAAs with additional leucine and 50g of dates. I ate a solid meal one hour later (salmon, broccoli, asparagus and a large sweet potato).

Job done for today Cool
Turpin

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2015, 11:39:44 AM »

Looked terrific in your pics , and I am looking forward to reading how you implement your training & diet to achieve your look.

T.
Glen Danbury

fuelled by EQ nutrition

WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2015, 12:45:39 PM »

your physique looks ever improving Dean. really impressive showing.

looking at the pics you do at home and backstage I dont feel like those stage pics do you any justice (same with what I have seen of steve howarth) - images dont seem to fully show how cut you really are/were.

truly impressive showing though. well done on making me feel even more of a fatty Wink
Damo NY

www.damianleestailoredfitness.co.uk

WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2015, 02:09:12 PM »

Well done last weekend Dean.

Quality physique throughout and you've proven that improvements can still be made for guys in their forties and onwards.  Cool
DDG

Email
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2015, 04:45:45 PM »

Looked terrific in your pics , and I am looking forward to reading how you implement your training & diet to achieve your look.

T.

Thanks T. I'll be journaling for a while ...

your physique looks ever improving Dean. really impressive showing.

looking at the pics you do at home and backstage I dont feel like those stage pics do you any justice (same with what I have seen of steve howarth) - images dont seem to fully show how cut you really are/were.

truly impressive showing though. well done on making me feel even more of a fatty Wink

Thanks Glen. I do have quite a few shots that show the detail, some are clearer and more obvious than others. As far as improving goes, I think I just came in sharper. I was certainly as sharp for the BNBF Midlands last year, but perhaps a little flatter and a tad lighter. The difference in fullness made a significant difference to my overall appearance, I think. Thanks for the props!!

DDG

Email
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2015, 04:49:05 PM »

Well done last weekend Dean.

Quality physique throughout and you've proven that improvements can still be made for guys in their forties and onwards.  Cool

Thanks Damian - it was good to go toe to toe in the overall as well  Cool Maybe I'll put up some of our comparisons later ...

You know, I saw my dad about a week before the show and he reckoned I looked bigger. But, I said to him, dad I'm not I'm just a bit sharper it's definition not extra size. Small margins seem to become much bigger at the sharp end of condition, and so it proved. Thanks again and I'll keep pressing on ... I'll soon be closer to fifty!! ha ha  Grin
K_Dogs

DOMS makes you feel alive....

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2015, 11:01:51 AM »

Welcome back Dean  Cheesy

I do enjoy your detailed writing style. Your wisdom shines through.

How have you coped from a psychological point of view?
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2015, 12:34:55 PM »

Hey Dean! Good to se you posting again.  This is the first proper chance I've had to see some pictures (on a monitor not phone), and I must get round to ordering them.
Well done again for the show.
How are the boys doing?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 50
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements