December 18, 2017, 11:38:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
 BULK POWDERS
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40
  Print  
Author Topic: The Comeback ...  (Read 62979 times)
DDG

Email
« Reply #570 on: December 06, 2017, 12:57:25 PM »

This morning's workout was push, privileging delts and triceps with accessory stimulation for chest.

Military press x 8 sets (up to 55kg).
Lateral raises x 6 sets
Front EZ bar raises x 4 sets
Dumbell shrugs x 4 sets

Weighted dips 1 x (10kg), 4 x (15kg), 1x (10kg), bodyweight.
Pull-over and press x 4 sets
Close grip EZ press x 3 sets

Dean do you stand or sit for the Military press ?

I mostly stand Toby but push very strictly without assistance from my legs. When my back troubles me I'll sit to protect it.
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #571 on: December 06, 2017, 06:50:53 PM »

Then those are really good numbers, some great pressing Dean. I am ultra strict myself, trying not to extend out through my back, full extension of my arms, core held tight and going this rigid has seen a big drop in my numbers. Currently only hitting 50kg but a much better exercise.
Adam

« Reply #572 on: December 06, 2017, 08:12:10 PM »

Hi Dean ,

Firstly congratulations on your recent successes this years bodybuilding season,  shows great dedication to natural bodybuilding in that you  are still improving after being in the game so long. 

Really enjoying the journal.  I see you dont include deadlifts in your back routines.  Is there a reason for this ? Do you feel they effect your leg workouts soon after ? Would you prefer to use a SLDL or do you not find much benefit to these either ?

Also with your'workout perimeter nutrition' to you consume an ' intra workout drink ' and or a post workout drink ? From looking at your journal am i right in thinking you have neitehr and just follow up your workout with a meal some thirty minutes later ?

Thanks alot keep the journal going enjoying it . 
DDG

Email
« Reply #573 on: December 06, 2017, 10:24:48 PM »

Then those are really good numbers, some great pressing Dean. I am ultra strict myself, trying not to extend out through my back, full extension of my arms, core held tight and going this rigid has seen a big drop in my numbers. Currently only hitting 50kg but a much better exercise.

Thanks Toby, my strength is picking up a little this last week or so. Right before the contest 50kg was really heavy and I was probably managing only a couple of strict sets with this weight before dropping to 40kg which is more comfortable to handle. Today I managed three sets at 55kg for 2 x 5 and 1 x 4 before dropping back to 50kg and then 40kg. Typically I tend to use a pyramid going up and then back down.
DDG

Email
« Reply #574 on: December 06, 2017, 10:36:53 PM »

Hi Dean ,

Firstly congratulations on your recent successes this years bodybuilding season,  shows great dedication to natural bodybuilding in that you  are still improving after being in the game so long. 

Really enjoying the journal.  I see you dont include deadlifts in your back routines.  Is there a reason for this ? Do you feel they effect your leg workouts soon after ? Would you prefer to use a SLDL or do you not find much benefit to these either ?

Also with your'workout perimeter nutrition' to you consume an ' intra workout drink ' and or a post workout drink ? From looking at your journal am i right in thinking you have neitehr and just follow up your workout with a meal some thirty minutes later ?

Thanks alot keep the journal going enjoying it . 

Thanks Adam. It's been one hell of a year and completely unexpected but I'd no ambitions to take the stage again but it just worked out that way and I think from around the time of June, when I started factoring in long walks outside, I began thinking about the possibility of competing though at that point only vaguely.

You're right I don't use deadlifts and there are a couple of reasons for this really. One is that I've had a few back issues in recent times and so I nee to be careful in order to avoid outright injury and complete rest. I have deadlifted in the past on and off but never really gone for it with deads as I have squats, for example. I find that other movements like bent-over rows and weighted extensions are really effective at working the errectors and lower-mid back thickness. And yes giving dead a proper trial would inevitably interfere with my leg workouts which are really quite frequent. Again, I've used SLDL but have avoided them recently because of my back issues. Done properly you don't need much weight with these either.

I don't use an intra workout drink during my workout but I do use an intra-workout drink (BP's) at the end of my workout. If I'm training first thing then I also use a pre-workout drink. Or if I haven't eaten for over three hours then I'll use one too. Post workout I tend to have a meal 45-60 minutes after 10g of BCAAs (post-workout drink) and some fruit.
DDG

Email
« Reply #575 on: December 07, 2017, 08:49:14 PM »

This morning's leg workout went really well, a lighter one than three days ago but a bit quicker in pace and with good volume.

Leg press - 60kg x 50, 100kg x 20, 140kg x 20, 180kg x 20, 220kg x 6 x 20 reps (60 seconds rest in between all sets)

I was breathing hard at the end of the final set and needed to take 90 seconds to recover before starting sissy squats.

Sissy squats - 40kg x 1 x 15 reps; 3 x 12 reps.

Glute ham raises x 4 sets 6-12 reps.

Toe presses - 220kg x 4 sets; 180kg x 4 sets.

Out for a walk this evening.
DDG

Email
« Reply #576 on: December 09, 2017, 12:07:58 AM »

Two workouts in the bag today. First thing I trained back, rear delts and biceps. Just recently I came across this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyQsyf3kd_k

which is part of a great series and very worth watching, so tried to implement the form and really noticed a difference. The weights employed were cut back as I was emphasising the movements and form in order to engage the target muscles, namely teres major and lats. With the exception of pull-ups to begin, all back movements today involved cables: wide grip pull-downs, straight arms pulldowns and seated close grip rows - all for five sets. I then used the pec machine for rear delt flyes before launching into biceps. For this I borrowed from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FguZ-3p06mc

and so I performed incline dumbbell curls and then curls over a bench with an EZ bar. Again, the weights were very modest but the stimulation in the biceps was incredible. If the theory pans out then I'm hoping for a stronger barbell curl at some point in the future.

Tonight I returned to the gym some 16 hours later to do 45 minutes of moderate intensity cardio - the machine told me I'd burnt 800 calories. My legs were pumped as hell and like a road map of veins. I stretched afterwards. Feeling tired now so should sleep well.
DDG

Email
« Reply #577 on: December 09, 2017, 08:26:10 AM »

Nice early one done this morning before driving down to south Cheshire. I always look forward to the Starbucks drive through actually where I order my favourite large Americano with sugar-free hazelnut syrup in it. Lovely.

So this morning's workout was 'push'.

Incline barbell press x 6 sets (70kg working sets)
Flat dumbbell flyes x 5 sets (22kg dumbells)
Weight dips (15kg plate)
Military press (peak weight 50kg) mainly at 40kg x 5 sets
Standing side lateral raises 12.5kg x 5 sets x 8 reps
Pull-over and press x 52kg x 3 x 6-8 reps
One arms dumbbell extensions 12.5kg x 3 x 5-7 reps
Band-pull pushdowns x 3 sets.
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #578 on: December 09, 2017, 01:44:07 PM »

Great video series, oddly I have been watching the exact same ones over the last week. I was unsure of form on a couple things so asked Alex Gallagher (Alx Brawn) and those are what he asked me to look at.
DDG

Email
« Reply #579 on: December 09, 2017, 08:42:49 PM »

Coincidences all round. I was impressed and that says a lot lol ... I learnt from his videos and my back workout yesterday really hit the mark. I swear I think my back looked wider this morning!
DDG

Email
« Reply #580 on: December 10, 2017, 07:34:04 PM »

Today was legs and uncharacteristically came some 36 hours after the previous workout as I was busy with the kids all weekend. My current body weight is 10st 7lbs so quite considerably up from my recent competition weight but without any appreciable fat gain. In other words I have rebounded nicely by eating wholesome foods, consuming very little junk and training frequently. The other positive is that my cardiovascular fitness is on point at the moment as I'm maintaining a lot of aerobic work in addition to regular weight training. The combination seems to be working well, although I'll have to guard against injury (as I've had a few minor niggles which I manage), and today I felt very good so really went for it. Aside from the physical I am also highly motivated at the moment and I think this mind set makes a huge difference to the process. I'm hungry for each and every workout and look forward to each session enthusiastically. Perhaps for the first time in a very long time I feel refreshed and reinvigorated. Without question the two recent competitions and trip abroad have enabled me to feel this way - as though I belong again. And while I have always trained consistently with the view that the process is intrinsically good, as it is, my focus has undoubtedly sharpened over recent months and so this continues post-competition.

Leg press - 60kg x 50 reps, 100kg x 20 reps, 140kg x 20 reps, 180kg x 20 reps, 220kg x 20 reps (all with 60 seconds rest); 260kg x 20 reps, 300kg x 3 x 15 reps, 260kg x 15 reps, 220kg x 20 reps (all with 90 seconds rest).

For me this represents the best series in years. I haven't done 300kg for a very long time and to perform 3 sets of 15 today (I could feel it was in there) is a major personal achievement.

Sissy squats - 60kg x 2 x 10 reps; 2 x 8 reps (60 seconds rest in between)

Glute-ham raises - 4 x 6-12 reps.

Toe presses - 220kg x 3 sets, 180kg x 4 sets.

Complete in 45 minutes.
DDG

Email
« Reply #581 on: December 11, 2017, 08:04:27 AM »

I exercised back, rear delts and biceps this morning at the gym. I'm not usually a coward but minus three is a bit too cold for an outing to the garage when I know perfectly well the gym will be considerably warmer and, in addition to this, I have a further incentive to target my back slightly differently from now on which favours variety at the gym with various cable options and other elaborate pieces of equipment.

Still I started off with pull-ups with a very wide grip to accentuate the drive of my elbows into my sides which targets the area (lats and teres major) more effectively. It is, however, a humbling experience in terms of repetitions especially given the accent on peak contraction and pausing at the top. Currently I'm not reaching above eight reps, which is incidental but also interesting for the fact it represents an almost 50% drop compared with the exercise performed with a narrower hand placement. I did 5 sets here.

I then moved to the divergent pull-down which really targets the area I'm seeking to develop. Four set here before finally moving to conventional lat pulldowns with a very wide grip at the end of the bar on each side for another 4 sets. I finished off my 'lat work' with 3 sets of straight arms pulldowns. Again, the weight was very light but the movement so precise as to pin the teres major perfectly.

From here I did 5 sets of bent-over barbell rows, a bit lighter than previously but accentuating constant tension and deliberate pause at peak contraction, or where the bar touches my abdomen.

I finished back with 4 sets of seated cable rows, which after the bent-over rows really take their toll in the mid-lower back area.

Rear delts - 4 sets of dumbbell flyes; 4 sets of reverse pec dec flyes

Biceps - 5 sets of barbell curls. Again, a bit lighter here but emphasising the angle of the wrist kinking downward at the top portion of the movement throwing exclusive tension on the biceps rather than forearm flexors.

3 sets of dumbbell curls performed facing down on an incline bench and working in the mid-range without pause to accentuate metabolic activity and 3 sets of standing cable curls doing the same.

At the end my biceps were toast.

I really enjoyed this workout for the variety and feel in the muscles.

Maybe some cardio later ... too cold for walking however. Grin
DDG

Email
« Reply #582 on: December 12, 2017, 08:10:02 PM »

Indeed it was too cold for walking last night so I went back to the gym instead and did 45 minutes at 70-75% on the stepper for another estimated 800 calories. Not sure about the accuracy of these measures so I don't place too much store in them but it sure as hell made me hungry. I got back and put around 700 calories back in and then an hour later had a great night's sleep.

This morning I did a push session, roughly 12 hours after the cardio workout, a lighter one this time having gone heavier three days ago.

Incline dumbbell press bringing the dumbells together at the top for my pec recruitment - just 5 sets after 2 warm-ups.

Dips x 5 sets - just body weight today

Military press - just 40kg x 5 sets

Standing lateral raises x 5 sets (12.5kg dumbells)

Shrugs x 4 sets

Lying incline dumbbell extensions x 4 sets

Band pushdowns x 4 sets.

Done in around 45 minutes.
DDG

Email
« Reply #583 on: December 12, 2017, 11:34:10 PM »

Forty minutes of cardio done at the gym tonight. Still can't brave the cold very easily although I did manage to train in the garage this morning at minus two degrees.

Tomorrow is a leg workout so tonight's cardio should prepare me well in terms of fitness.
DDG

Email
« Reply #584 on: December 13, 2017, 08:21:41 AM »

Legs trained this morning just after 6.30am. Lighter today with a faster pace which actually always feels as difficult and produces a tremendous pump.

Leg press: 60kg x 50reps, 100kg x 20, 140kg x 20, 180kg x 20, 220kg x 6 x 20 (all with 60 seconds rest in between)

90 seconds in between exercises

Sissy squats: 40kg x 4 x 12 reps (60 seconds rest)

60 seconds rest in between exercises

Glute ham raises: 4 x 8-12 reps

30 second rest in between exercises

Toe presses: 220kg x 4 x 6-12 reps; 180kg x 4 x 6-10 reps (30 seconds rest)
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements