August 24, 2019, 07:58:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Extra calories on a workout day?  (Read 7405 times)
Jaymz

« on: October 20, 2015, 05:57:46 PM »

Hi all,

I'm currently on a clean bulk and consuming 3500 calories a day.
I used some online calculators to work out my BMR and required daily calorie intake to bulk. I started on 3100 Cal's and over the last month I've had to keep tweaking it because I just wasn't gaining any weight. Now I've increased it to 3500 Cal's I'm gaining 1lb a week (which was my aim).

However, although everything is constant, calories, time of day I weigh myself my weight keeps fluctuating.
I weigh myself Monday and I'm 14 stone 10lb, by Wednesday I'm 14 stone 8lb. By Sunday I've gained a pound and at 14 stone 11lb!

Does this fluctuation matter as long as it evens out over the week?...
Or... Should I consume more calories on a workout day and then slightly less on a rest day? But make sure it averages out at 3500 Cal's a day over the week? Would that be more beneficial, or am I just stressing over nothing?

Thanks guys, just trying to make sure everything I'm doing is 'optimal'. 💪
Rossdog

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 06:04:50 PM »

There is no such thing as a clean bulk 😂😂😂😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Damon Eaton

Damon "The Truth" Eaton. Free Agent.

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 06:06:26 PM »

As long as your gradually gaining steadily over the weeks you should be fine. My weight fluctuates a kg or so over a week it's just hydration levels. One day you may be holding more water due to sweating less or retaining more due to extra sodium in your diet or something like that. Nothing to worry about.
Jaymz

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 09:17:28 PM »

There is no such thing as a clean bulk 😂😂😂😂
Haha! Trying to keep it as clean as I can, keep the fat under control 👍

As long as your gradually gaining steadily over the weeks you should be fine. My weight fluctuates a kg or so over a week it's just hydration levels. One day you may be holding more water due to sweating less or retaining more due to extra sodium in your diet or something like that. Nothing to worry about.
Thanks for this Damon. I'm stressing over nothing then. Thanks for clearing that up for me 👍
fstsven

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 08:35:34 AM »

Another way to deal with the (normal) day to day weight fluctuations is take the weekly average of your daily measurements and go from there.
fstsven

Email
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 08:38:20 AM »

Also, how long have you been training? I ask this because 1lb a week seems high if you want to minimize fat gain. Your body can not build that much muscle per week, unless you're an absolute beginner, or can profit from "muscle memory".
Jaymz

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 04:01:14 PM »

Also, how long have you been training? I ask this because 1lb a week seems high if you want to minimize fat gain. Your body can not build that much muscle per week, unless you're an absolute beginner, or can profit from "muscle memory".

Hi fstsven, I've been training seriously for 12 months now. The first 6 months I was on the standard 4 day split, eg: Mon: chest/triceps. Tues: back/biceps etc, which really didn't work for me (very small gains  Angry).
I did my research and then started an upper/lower split program 6 months ago training 4 days a week, now I'm making good gains  Smiley so I suppose I'm still making newbie gains 💪💪
SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR 5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 04:54:26 PM »

Jay from your posts your seem to be over complicating the process. To gain muscle lift progressively heavier on the big lifts, I use a log book. Eat well and in a slight surplus and you will grow muscle.

As an idea on how slowly muscle grows naturally. I am growing muscle on my upper body each time I compete but each time am lighter by virtue of being leaner. It's a marathon  not a sprint. Keep it simple, keep it basic and make it a lifestyle choice.
Jaymz

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 06:36:56 PM »

Jay from your posts your seem to be over complicating the process. To gain muscle lift progressively heavier on the big lifts, I use a log book. Eat well and in a slight surplus and you will grow muscle.

As an idea on how slowly muscle grows naturally. I am growing muscle on my upper body each time I compete but each time am lighter by virtue of being leaner. It's a marathon  not a sprint. Keep it simple, keep it basic and make it a lifestyle choice.
Hi Scott, thanks for your comment mate,

You may be right, I may be over complicating things or thinking too much into it. I've only been training for 12 months so I am still a newbie I guess. I suppose because I didn't make much progress during the first 6 months from not training 'optimally' I'm just worried about making further mistakes. I'm just trying to make sure that I'm training and eating the best I can for the best results possible.
I understand it can take years to obtain a good physique naturally so I am in it for the long run. I'm expecting it to take me about 3-4 years to be where I want to be. I'm a quarter of the way there! Wahey! 😎💪👍
SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR 5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 09:07:10 AM »

if you would like to post up you diet, height, weight etc we can all give you help if you would like?

Out of interest what kind of gains where you expecting from your first year?
Jaymz

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 08:49:15 PM »

if you would like to post up you diet, height, weight etc we can all give you help if you would like?

Out of interest what kind of gains where you expecting from your first year?

First year I expect 20lb of lean muscle gain, which to be honest I don't think I'm far off.
According to Lyle McDonald's natural lean muscle mass gain model it then tapers off. 2nd year = 10lb, 3rd year = 5lb etc, but I don't like it when someone tells you what your limit is. I think if you set a limit you will never exceed that limit. I don't believe in limits.
I will post up my diet mate, see if you guys think it's ok. Seems to be working well, but if there's any improvements I could make it would be good to know.
Thanks Scott, appreciate it 👍
erny23

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 05:17:41 PM »

Always weigh yourself at the same time each day, first thing before breaky is recommended
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements