December 09, 2018, 11:21:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Beginners questions  (Read 3318 times)
thebearnecessities

Email
« on: October 22, 2015, 11:02:24 PM »

Hi I've just joined.

Im going to start powerlifting (usual reasons i suppose, mostly aesthetics and keeping the body fat % down).

Anyway I need to do it with virtually no money so i won't be joining a gym.  I have a free training session at a gym tomorrow and the trainer is going to take me through the basics of powerlifting.

questions...

QUESTION 1 )  I want to buy a cheap 2nd hand barbell...what weight do i need to need to buy?  (I'm 6ft2", 90kgs, fit legs but no biceps 13" ish but i dont know how heavy i need my barbell to be!)   this guy says his barbell and weights can total at 60kg (https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/york-weights-bench-bar-and-dumbells/1137550164?utm_source=systemedm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=adreply)  is that enough for a beginner?  i feel like i want to have more weights to future-proof my purchase.

QUESTION 2 )  I know its not a very good barbell set etc, but will the example above be fine for a beginner? and if i get into powerlifting and stick with it then i can get a better barbell later on...?
SuperSi

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 03:41:25 PM »

If you're looking at powerlifting, you'd definitely want a bar that can hold more than 60kg. That suggests it's a very poor quality bar. Unless what you mean is only 60kg of weights will fit on. If that's the case, it's because the weights are so wide. Thinner weights would solve the issue.

Ideally, you want a standard Olympic bar that weighs 20kg. Then you can add more discs as you get stronger and your purchase is future proofed.
Groovemaster

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 09:14:35 PM »

Is there a 'gym group' gym no where near you? Its 12.99 a month and open 24/7. Worth checking as you could save the cash from buying weights and just save 3.?? a week. They have plenty of olympic gear

I know gyms arent everyones first choice and i train mostly at home but at that price I don't miss out even if i get just a couple of sessions there a month
Achappell

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 10:00:58 AM »

I'd agree with grandmaster, if you want to do it on the cheap then joining a gym would probably be a better option. Buying the equipment and weights could soon add up. If you check out strength shop, you'll find a barbell and some weights, even at the entry level will cost you hundreds of pounds.
LiftHard

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 11:23:03 PM »

If you're looking at powerlifting, you'd definitely want a bar that can hold more than 60kg. That suggests it's a very poor quality bar. Unless what you mean is only 60kg of weights will fit on. If that's the case, it's because the weights are so wide. Thinner weights would solve the issue.

Ideally, you want a standard Olympic bar that weighs 20kg. Then you can add more discs as you get stronger and your purchase is future proofed.

Damm bro, your legs are awesome! Not that everything else isn't in check...Usally legs lack, not yours bro...
wallace

Email
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 10:56:54 AM »

I suggest you go to the gym. bath spa
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements