January 22, 2019, 04:04:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Censorship  (Read 4481 times)
Damon Eaton

Damon "The Truth" Eaton. Free Agent.

Email
« on: November 26, 2015, 09:58:45 AM »

What are everyone's thoughts on mass censorship?

The Chinese government do it you cannot speak badly of the government anywhere in a public domain and if you do it affects your credit rating, ability to travel and things like getting a job.

They also don't allow their citezens to visit certain websites.

Do you think this is a good thing and should be introduced here in the UK?
Damon Eaton

Email
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 10:28:52 AM »

A place where people are afraid to speak against the status quo and those that do get persecuited and censored.
Badger

To press a lot, you must press a lot. -Sheiko

Email
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 10:56:16 AM »

People are prone to irrational and excitable behaviour when presented with information that challenges their perceptions.

If the Chinese employ those strategies it will be because they understand something about the Chinese mindset that we do not. The culture has a highly centralised power distribution and a

The culture in China is highly collectivist (the needs of the group are prioritised over the needs of the few) so it is the people of China that share the ethos of the government in the vast majority of cases as opposed to having these penalties thrust upon the unwilling masses.

Have a look into the Geert Hofstede power distance index, you will find quite dramatic  differences between the cultural characteristics between us and China, quite simply that form of governance would cause mass unrest over here.

I think we have things fine and dandy over here, there is no shortage of free access to information.
Damon Eaton

Email
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 11:32:41 AM »

We do have things reasonably well here compared with many places.

I don't think that there is an excuse for China's oppressive policies though.

To me human beings are human beings and feedom of expression and questioning debating things is how progression in any system is made. Censoring and ignoring ideas is not a decent way forward unless it's for the powers that be keeping things there way and hiding there own faults/imperfections/injustices.
Badger

To press a lot, you must press a lot. -Sheiko

Email
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 11:46:02 AM »

If you were in power would you not take steps to ensure you remained in that position?

If the way things were governed did not suit the ideals of the masses them there would be a revolution.

Have you been to China or dealt with the Chinese in person?

Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 12:22:49 PM »

I think if you've got something to say then say it Smiley
Damon Eaton

Email
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 01:41:51 PM »

I think if you've got something to say then say it Smiley

If I did that Nic the thread might get deleted Wink
Damon Eaton

Email
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 09:22:42 PM »

If you were in power would you not take steps to ensure you remained in that position?

If the way things were governed did not suit the ideals of the masses them there would be a revolution.

Have you been to China or dealt with the Chinese in person?

I went to Uni with a Chinese lad who breaks deadlift world records and now works for Ultimate Performance Hong Kong. We never spoke politics though.

I have heard and read about terribly long working days, poor living conditions and slave type wages amongst the working classes in China. I also read the state buys slave workers from North Korea.

Seems like a lot of human rights violations but it's no wonder as they are now on the brink of becoming the biggest super power. All of the super powers seem to have done hastily things over the years to achieve that dominance.
LiftHard

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 04:29:03 PM »

What free spirited human that wants freedom of choice desire censorship?...Is it possible?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements