March 25, 2019, 10:23:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Going back to the future Part 3, the hundred pound challenge!  (Read 26901 times)
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2016, 01:36:39 PM »

I think it probably depends on the gym - type of gym, membership numbers, even the layout. For example the gym I go to is very much a lifters' gym, barely any cardio equipment, no classes, no showers etc. It's one big room all on the same level with no separate areas. We do all tend to know each other, by sight if not by name. It would be very odd to NOT welcome a newcomer at all, even if just a wave or a nod.

Most people do wear headphones and/or are on their phones between sets (!) but we do talk to each other, for sure. Yesterday, I had a youngish lad I've never seen before walk up to me and ask to work in on deadlifts (plus a bit of chat about PL comps). The day before, I got asked for a spot from a guy (we were the only people in the gym). I think maybe it would be different in a larger, more "faceless" chain gym? I don't know.
McFly

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2016, 10:35:07 PM »

I wonder how being positive and encouraging would be received today? My perception is that gyms have become much colder, more unfriendly places in the last 20 years. The advent of smartphones means 24/7 communication with an existing social circle, which in turn means that interacting with strangers is seen as an unnecessary risk. Today, many people's default reaction to a friendly stranger is one of discomfort and suspicion. They just want to get back to their own secure, familiar bubble.

Or is that too cynical for words?

You're most probably right there buddy.  The world is a very different place now to what it was then.  We seem to have lost the knack of human interaction.  Some of my friends often joke that I'm the last of a dying breed because I call them on the phone instead of just texting or emailing.

Or, maybe I'm just as cynical as you.

I think it probably depends on the gym - type of gym, membership numbers, even the layout. For example the gym I go to is very much a lifters' gym, barely any cardio equipment, no classes, no showers etc. It's one big room all on the same level with no separate areas. We do all tend to know each other, by sight if not by name. It would be very odd to NOT welcome a newcomer at all, even if just a wave or a nod.

Most people do wear headphones and/or are on their phones between sets (!) but we do talk to each other, for sure. Yesterday, I had a youngish lad I've never seen before walk up to me and ask to work in on deadlifts (plus a bit of chat about PL comps). The day before, I got asked for a spot from a guy (we were the only people in the gym). I think maybe it would be different in a larger, more "faceless" chain gym? I don't know.

Sounds like you've found a cracking place to train there Nic.  Even the "hardcore" gyms round here are clicky at best and faceless in the main.

Anyway, day 7 journal is as follows....

Weighed in when I woke up, and was just over 5 pounds lighter than last week at 18st 6lb.  That accounts for the 2lb Christmas gain (I was 18st 9lb the week before Christmas according to my diary) and about 3lb of "first week weight loss".  I'm happy with that and fully expect it'll slow down to a pound or two next week which is fine by me.

Ached a bit in the right hip and lower back today following yesterdays workout.  Nothing too unpleasant though.

Stayed up really late last night as we've become addicted to "Making a Murderer" and the one episode we intended to watch at 10pm turned into 3.  As a result, it was very late when I got up so I've only eaten 3 times today and will be off to bed soon so won't have any more.

Breakfast (more like lunch) - 3 whole eggs, 3 bacon medallions, mushrooms and 2 slices of granary bread.
Mid afternoon - 1 1/2 scoops whey in water, 3 oatcakes.
Dinner - 200g diced beef (extra lean) made into a hotpot with 150g potato, 2 carrots, 1 onion and 1/2 pot of baked beans. Another of the wifes sw recipies.  Had this with broccoli.

Episode 5 to watch now.  If I stay up late and eat any more, I'll edit my journal and add it.

**EDIT**

10.45pm, 200g fat free cottage cheese.

Episode 6...
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 12:19:12 AM »

Stayed up really late last night as we've become addicted to "Making a Murderer" and the one episode we intended to watch at 10pm turned into 3.....

OMG don't! I'm on episode 5 at the mo... :-O
McFly

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2016, 12:25:30 AM »

I've just done episode 8.  I have no idea how I've managed to shout at my telly so much lately!

Todays journal...

Food as expected.  Breakfast same, lunch swapped a baked potato in for the rice, pm was banana and protein bar, pwo shake and chicken, rice and mixed veg for dinner.  Usual sort of quantities.

Training:

Flat Bench Press - 70kg x 9,6
Incline Dumbbell Press - 22.5's x 10, 8

Seated Side Laterals - 7.5's x 11,10
Seated Dumbbell Press - 15's x 10,10

Tricep Pushdowns - 20kg x 10,10

So basically the same workout and poundages as last week but reps up on everything on every set.  No cramping or bunching (although I felt a little grumble in my left shoulder on my first set of seated DB press) and a way better pump than last week which is a no brainer after a week of relatively good training and eating.

Physically, I feel way better and motivation is as high as it's ever been.
felix

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2016, 10:32:21 PM »

The gym I train in is quite a small bodybuilding gym with excellent home made equipment almost every knows each other and it is very friendly I have to say when I am not training myself or training others I end up doing a lot of talking.
Groovemaster

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2016, 09:20:26 AM »

My gyms horrible.. Just full of egos!

Also, Im always on my phone logging sets etc 😳
McFly

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2016, 11:53:09 PM »

Todays workout.

Wide Grip overhand pulldowns - "8 plates" on the stack x 12,12
Close parallel grip pulldowns with a bit of a backward lean - "10 plates" x 8,8
(lower back really playing up so avoided rows today)
DB Shrugs - 25's x 8,7
Face Pulls - "2 plates" on the stack x 12,12
Seated DB Curls - 12.5's x 10,8

So, reps up on everything except curls.  Happy with that.  Finished with a good pump and really felt every exercise.

Food, breakfast and lunch the same as usual, protein bar and nuts this afternoon, pwo shake and then chicken cooked in tomato passata with onions and peppers with pasta for dinner. All amounts as usual.

Another day done.
McFly

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2016, 10:00:51 PM »

Last 2 days eating gone to plan, and pretty similar to what I've been doing most days. 

Chiropractor tonight.  He's doing a great job and my back is a lot more manageable than it was before I started my treatment just before Christmas.  At that point, I was in constant pain and had a lot of cold tingling down my right leg all the way to the foot, which was what prompted me to book in with him.

Looking forward to legs tomorrow. 
McFly

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2016, 11:11:33 PM »

Saturday,

Another late night and lie in, so breakfast was close to lunchtime and was 4 whole eggs, mushrooms, 2 slices of granary bread and 3 bacon medallions.  Mid afternoon I had a banana and protein bar.  Trained, pwo shake.  Dinner, 7oz steak, baked potato, tomato and mushrooms. May or may not eat again today.

Training was pretty frustrating.  The gym I joined still hasn't got either the lying or seated leg curl machines in that they advertised, and after the grief I got trying to hack squat and sldl last week, I was pretty limited.

Stationary bike to warm up.
Leg press.  Carriage x 20 then 1,2,3 (25k) plates for 15/12/10 then added at little more to make the equivalent of 4 "regular" plates for 12. Happy to beat last weeks effort.
Extension - 3/4/5 plates x 15/12/12 reps
Calf raise - 3 sets of 15 with half the stack.

Scratched my head for anything else to do, so finished off with some stairmaster then called it a day.

Stronger than last week on everything, same as pretty much everything this week.  I expect this trend to continue for a while due to my not having trained properly for so long so I'm not claiming too much credit for the results I'm likely to have for a while.

I am pretty sure that the chain gym has got to go though.  Equipment aside, the last few weeks getting back into things have reminded me where I feel like I belong  Wink
McFly

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2016, 02:14:28 PM »

Finished off last night with a serving of "muscle mousse", which tasted ghastly so I added a teaspoon of peanut butter (the sugar and palm oil free stuff) to make it bearable.

Weighed in a pound lighter at 18st 5lb.  Mixed feelings, as I know I'm not "dieting" hard and was planning for and expecting a pound or two tops so goal reached on that score.  And I'm well aware that even at a pound a week I'll finish the year at 15 stone which is the lightest I've routinely been since about 2010, bar one occasion in 2012 when I dropped down to about 14 stone for a sports event which I quickly piled on after.

I'm starting to get the bug again big time now though, and may tighten things up a bit soon to shoot for more significant results which I'm pretty sure are achievable.

Will see how this week goes.
McFly

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2016, 11:40:12 PM »

Todays journal...

Food as expected.  Breakfast same, lunch baked potato, tuna and sweetcorn/red onion mixed, pm was banana and 150g quark, pwo shake and chicken and egg noodles (over estimated my portion size on these and ended up eating about 150g, lesson learned) for dinner.

Training:

My back is in absolute tatters today. Couldn't get comfortable in bed last night, and at my desk at work all day.  I really do wish it'd just sod off and leave me to get on with my training, but it could be far worse and I'm grateful that I can at least do a bit.

Flat Bench Press - 70kg x 12,9
Incline Dumbbell Press - 22.5's x 12, 10

Seated Side Laterals - 7.5's x 12,10
Seated Dumbbell Press - 15's x 12,11

Tricep Pushdowns - 20kg x 10,10

Really happy.  Despite the back pain, and a later than planned session due to my training buddy being off work late (which meant I'd gone a while since eating and was really hungry by the time I got in there) I felt like I was on fire once I got started and every time I beat one of last weeks numbers I just got fiercer and fiercer to make sure I beat the others.   Will definitely up my poundages for all of my pressing movements next week.

Onwards we go.

McFly

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2016, 10:13:35 PM »

Quick catch up of the last 2 days....

Ate as per the last few weeks, with the usual deviations in carb/protein sources across some meals but with breakfast remaining the same. Have had 200g grilled chicken with salad made into 2 wraps with plain white flour tortillas a couple of times for lunch, including today. Been battering the air fryer, using it to cook chicken for dinner tonight with new potatoes which was superb. Having no issues eating "clean" despite such a long time of existing on a pretty terrible diet and really enjoying doing so with my goals in mind.

Coached Tuesday and got involved a little bit in some partner work as we had odd numbers at the club.  Back was very edgy though so took it easy but still worked a bit of a sweat up.

Tonight, trained straight from work at the chain gym.  Lord it was dreadful.  Rammed with youths in tight joggers pretty much all training chest, biceps or doing quarter reps on the leg press.  Each to their own.  My workout went as follows:

Wide grip pulldowns - Warmups plus 48k x 12 and 2 sets of 8 at 56kg.
Seated rows (chest supported) - Same weight, about 1/2 the stack x 8,7,6 reps
DB Shrugs - 28k bells x 8,7
Rear delt machine - 2 work sets x 10,8.  3 plates on the stack, whatever that equates to.
Alt DB Curls - 14k bells x 8,7.

Finished with a brisk 5 minutes on the crosstrainer.  Planned more but my lower back started to protest.

Felt strong, and pretty sure that had I been training in my own place I'd have topped last weeks numbers but the change in weight stacks made it hard to guage exactly. I'm happy enough though.
McFly

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2016, 09:53:10 PM »

Saturday update.

Had a normal days eating yesterday, until I caved in to a moment of weakness and scoffed 4 pop tarts (2 chocolate chip cookie dough and 2 double chocolate if anyone is interested) last night before bed. Probably could have made a better choice, but I won't beat myself up over it.

Eaten well today. Oats and whey, noodles and tuna, pwo shake and more noodles with chicken and veg.

Trained legs today:

Leg press (after a stationary bike and mobility exercise warmup) - carraige for 20, then 1,2,3,4,5 25k plates for 15,12,10,8,8 reps.  Finished with 3 plates for a total of 20 reps.  Nailed 14 straight off then 3 rest paused, then 3 singles rest paused. Ruined.

Hack squat, carraige for 10 then 20k a side for 10.  Back complained again so didn't do another.

Leg extension, 3 plates on the stack for 3x15,12,12

Calves, started with half the stack for 15, then added 2 plates a set for 12,10.

Good stretch to finish.

Still no leg curl machine.
McFly

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2016, 02:16:26 PM »

A shade over 18st 4lb this week.  Will tighten up the eating a touch now and see if we can get the scales moving a little more. Will drop my serving of carbs at my evening meals and steer clear of the poptarts.
Tannhauser

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2016, 07:17:44 PM »

Nice. Everything I've read suggests that a pound a week loss is plenty - not that I can back this up with practical experience.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements